CP3 fuel pump upgrade thread

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I find it fascinating that you upgraded from a modern CP4.1 "timebomb" to a "performance" CP3 from a late 90's 69hp Peugeot 206 that only had 1.4L of displacement.
Being the CP 4.1 will not flow enough fuel for the larger size injectors I have, yet the antique CP3 will. What's the better pump? How finicky the cp4 is, even under perfect conditions it can just fail.
In theory the CP 4.1 is a better pump but the CP3 is far more reliable and strong. This was an isolated thing because something was forgot when it was rebuilt. There is a ton of things of this exact problem on Dodge forums. After the pump was rebuilt.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Being the CP 4.1 will not flow enough fuel for the larger size injectors I have, yet the antique CP3 will. What's the better pump? How finicky the cp4 is, even under perfect conditions it can just fail.
In theory the CP 4.1 is a better pump but the CP3 is far more reliable and strong. This was an isolated thing because something was forgot when it was rebuilt. There is a ton of things of this exact problem on Dodge forums. After the pump was rebuilt.
yep CP3 is a actual 3 piston pump rotary crank style. I had mine taken apart as it was gummed up from sitting. it was fascinating to see the rotary crank in there.... hence its mini Cummins noises (2Micron pump itself) and cleaned up and put back together and now 100k miles on it and runs beautiful.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
yep CP3 is a actual 3 piston pump rotary crank style. I had mine taken apart as it was gummed up from sitting. it was fascinating to see the rotary crank in there.... hence its mini Cummins noises (2Micron pump itself) and cleaned up and put back together and now 100k miles on it and runs beautiful.
I know it was much easier to spin than the cp4.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
They do require a bit less torque to drive at the same pressures, however more pressure requires more torque.
Another interesting fact is that the CP3 cannot deliver as high of pressure at low RPM as the CP4.1, which is likely why VW chose it for emissions reasons.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
They do require a bit less torque to drive at the same pressures, however more pressure requires more torque.
Another interesting fact is that the CP3 cannot deliver as high of pressure at low RPM as the CP4.1, which is likely why VW chose it for emissions reasons.
Ah. Well good thing I don't need as high of pressure with my larger injectors.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Yea
Yes but look at too many CP4.1’s failures. Not worth it to be worrying about… I drive 40k miles per year. I don’t have time for that.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Yea

Yes but look at too many CP4.1’s failures. Not worth it to be worrying about… I drive 40k miles per year. I don’t have time for that.
I'm anti-CP4, just to be clear. I put my CP3 on my MK7 with only 25k miles on the clock. It's now carried over to the new motor, and hope to push it to that 300+hp mark 😉

Trimmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG
I just bought a 2011 JSW for a pretty good deal after selling my MKIV BEW wagon for the same price. I have owned a few other CR TDI's and at least 20 ALH's. I cannot leave anything alone. I recently swapped my 2014 Duramax to a CP3 and that made me want to swap my 2011 JSW to a CP3 as well. I have ordered a Whitbread CP3 kit but heard nothing from him. Does anyone know where I could find one in stock for a decent price if the Whitbread kit does not pan out? I know companies are having a hard time getting part so I'm just shopping in case this kit doesn't pan out.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I just bought a 2011 JSW for a pretty good deal after selling my MKIV BEW wagon for the same price. I have owned a few other CR TDI's and at least 20 ALH's. I cannot leave anything alone. I recently swapped my 2014 Duramax to a CP3 and that made me want to swap my 2011 JSW to a CP3 as well. I have ordered a Whitbread CP3 kit but heard nothing from him. Does anyone know where I could find one in stock for a decent price if the Whitbread kit does not pan out? I know companies are having a hard time getting part so I'm just shopping in case this kit doesn't pan out.

[/URL]

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm anti-CP4, just to be clear. I put my CP3 on my MK7 with only 25k miles on the clock. It's now carried over to the new motor, and hope to push it to that 300+hp mark 😉
Where did you get CP3 for MK7?

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
Looking forward to learning more as well. Have done an Xman CP3 he was great to work with, turbo and fuel pump came quick, complete and running great. Any progress or update on how it failed after 150 miles and how is the car?

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Looking forward to learning more as well. Have done an Xman CP3 he was great to work with, turbo and fuel pump came quick, complete and running great. Any progress or update on how it failed after 150 miles and how is the car?
Still have to tear into it. Looks like the cup around the spring. Disintegrated. The debris floating around pushed the freeze plug out. There's metal bits in my undertray even.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Well I disassembled the pump and I figured out what happened to it. I am guessing they had an irate employee. There was a rock inside it and one thing was installed wrong.. I'll update when the video finishes uploading.

Last edited:

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Wasn't the pumps fault. They had a irate employee. Rebuilt wrong and a malicious rock placement. And being it gave as much pressure as I'd did while it was eating itself is a testimate to it's strength. Please stop being that guy. Your better than it.
its-a-joke-son.jpg

"Rock" Solid, get it now?