CP3 fuel pump upgrade thread

dholli

TDI
2011 Sportwagen
So what I did was, get a drill powered pump and a clear inline fuel filter. I put the filter on the intake side of the pump and placed it in the tank sump. The used the discharge side to "wash" the tank out, or run the suction side around and pickup the bits into the filter. Worked great!!
Thanks for the tip. Did you have to drop the tank or did you do all this while it was still in the car?

wondermutt

TDI
2011 VW Jetta TDI
Hey everyone first post here and !

I have a 2011 VW Jetta and my HPFP made it just past 216,000 miles before committing Harry Carry and deciding to eat itself.

Doing some research I decided to go the route of the cp3 conversion and got a fisher kit all installed but now running into what ChaylenB had mentioned about the high rail pressure.

In fact it wasn't just an error code but blew the small line from the injector return line off the return line from the pump

My reading has lead me to understand that if you have all three pumps with no tunning or the wrong FMV, you will get a check engine light for rail psi too high.
ChaylenB were you able to resolve your issue?

vdubdiesel

TDI
2011 JSW, 2003 Golf TDI (gone not forgotten)
regarding @dholli situation. Isn't a failed CP3 not supposed to contaminate the high pressure side? My understanding was CP3 was is more reliable and most importantly easier to recover from failure. Hope i didn't pickup some bad info along the way. (dholli sorry for the bad luck)

Garrison

Veteran Member
TDI
Stg 3 - 2011 JSW
regarding @dholli situation. Isn't a failed CP3 not supposed to contaminate the high pressure side? My understanding was CP3 was is more reliable and most importantly easier to recover from failure. Hope i didn't pickup some bad info along the way. (dholli sorry for the bad luck)
In order:

Yes
Not necessarily more reliable (CP4s are just fine in Europe, for example), but the failure mode isn't nearly as adverse

Last edited:

Lead_Sled

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI
My first time seeing that video and a comparison between the 2 pumps. I switched over for reliability since the car is about to be sent to Central America. And deleting the other stuff for the same purpose. Very good info and now I’m super happy that I did swap over. Along with the 2 micron filter setup.

My 2019 Toyota Hilux w/ 2.4 diesel doesn’t have the emissions control, so why should this one have it?!

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
blame it on the uncle Sam who blames the diesels among others for global warming then that triggered the EPA guys being berserk on the diesel vehicles..... *rolling eyes*