Could a 2002 Jetta TDI Wagon RCII VNT17 no cat tow a 1980 International Scout II?

Variant TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf Variant, Reflex Silver
Could it? Probably.
Should it? No.

If you were talking about towing it across town, and not hitting any major highways... with due care, no problem.

But I'm imagining some tragedy in the rockies.

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
Ditto. I'd be worried about heat--do you have an exhaust gas temp sensor?--and braking. It might not be so bad if the Scout had electric brakes. While I realize that people towed heavy loads for decades with lousy brakes, I think you might regret this coming down any hill--or for any emergency stop.

No chance the Scout could tow the Jetta? Is this Scout a new purchase?

rex_1_mn

Veteran Member
TDI
05 PD Golf GLS Manual
I dont think so.....If the scout has the 345 you must sell it to me for one dollar..........

Stole that line that somone always uses about 2dr golfs..

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
If you want to destroy the rear end of the chassis as the mounting point rip out.

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
The Scout have the Camanche 4cyl 198 cid or the 318 or 345cid?

At any rate the Scout is a rather large item to tow.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Everything IH makes/made is overly heavy. Sounds like a bad idea.

If you want a Volkswagen to tow it, you will need one of these:

otm646

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 AHU Jetta.
Oh, why did I never think of it? I'll just pull one of those outta my back pocket...

I've towed many terrible things many terrible miles. Like an unbraked (brake solenoid failed) 16,000 lbs trailer with a dodge 3500 hauling 5,000 lbs of pallet sand in the bed...it was not that bad.

That said, even I would stay away from towing with that rig.

OKAaron

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta/Bora Wagon 2002 Black, 2006 Jetta TDI
It's a possible purchase. Not really going to attempt it, but wanted to see what you guys thought which I assumed anyway. What's interesting is that the Scout has a 6 cyl turbo diesel motor with about 110hp and 175 ft lbs of torque which I can only figure IH thought it could still tow back in 1980. My brakes are upgraded to GLI brakes front and rear which probably has better stopping power than the Scouts!

I guess I could tow the jetta with the Scout and in the event it broke, pull the Scout;)

OKAaron

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta/Bora Wagon 2002 Black, 2006 Jetta TDI
It's got right at 100K on it. How long you think the clutch and engine may hold for? It was previously owned by an older couple and is a true barn find. They had it for 97K then the next two owners only put 2K on it. It's in bone stock form and actually looks quite tame for your typical Scout.