could a 1.8TSI GSW manual be chipped?

piper109

Veteran Member
I understand the gas 1.8 TSI GSW MT although it has higher HP than the tdi JSW has less torque which is noticed on hills and in the mountains.
Does anyone make an ECU chip which helps the torque a good bit??

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
I expect you could find one, or someone who would change the settings. The trade off is the cost, possibly higher emissions, and the possibility that you would have to use premium fuel.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
This might be the wrong place to ask this question since we are mostly all about TDIs. APR and GIAC are both pretty big names in the VW gasser tuning world. It might be worth checking out their websites. REVO has also had some interesting tunes for gassers too (their SPS can change some parameters on demand).

Have Fun!

Don

piper109

Veteran Member
My question arises from a possible buy back of my TDI JSW MT. Trying to find out if I could live with less torque. Thanks

CT_Gman

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Jetta Sport, 2011 Golf TDI 6MT 2 door - GONE, 2013 Passat DSG SE w/sunroof - GONE
Go test drive one! That is the only way you will know.

piper109

Veteran Member
I have considered that and probably will. My closest dealer is 2 hours drive away and has no stick GSW. There will be time for more info to appear.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
The tunes available for that motor look fantastic (230whp/280wtq on 93octane). I know malone tuning does gas tunes as well, just doesn't advertise like the diesels. But, you can look at APR's site to get an idea.

Also, what makes you think you HAVE to sell your car back?? I'd let them do the fix, and take the compensation for it! One less car that winds up back in the earth

piper109

Veteran Member
In browsing, I read somewhere that the reason the 1.8TSI torque is limited is because the 5 speed manual transmission its paired with cant handle anything higher. I may have to rethink. I would rather stay with diesel anyway.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I bet the limitation is the clutch, not the transmission. That can be easily corrected.