Costco Crap?

jhedrich

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 TDI GLS Green
My father bought a set of Yokohama tires from Costco. They vibrated and shimmied like an SOB. He complained and they traded them for a set of Bridgestones and one of those tires was found to have faulty ply or side wall....go figure.

Anyhow, we are of the opinion that Costco is selling $h!tty tires, leftovers, mixed batches, factory seconds or rejected old stock like the rest of their products.

Does anybody have an opinion on this? Anybody else had bad tires from Costco?

I'm due pretty soon to replace my Michelin MXV4+ and I'm debating if I should take a chance on Costco again

tdibugman

Veteran Member
I know plenty of folks who bought tires from Costco - I would've bought mine there too, but I ran into an old friend who worked for Tire Rack. No one ever had problems. What Yoko's did he get? Some of there less-expensive tires are poor, so the Bridgestone was a nice upgrade. Hell, the were nice enoguh to swap all of the tires, rather than the bad ones- with a different brand, no les-thats customer service in my book.

M

mickey

I've never heard of that. Sounds like very, VERY bad luck to me.

One of my Michelin Pilots I bought for the Evil Beetle last year had a severe problem. The replacement tire was fine. It happens.

-mickey

tadc

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, '01, Black
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jhedrich:
Anyhow, we are of the opinion that Costco is selling $h!tty tires, leftovers, mixed batches, factory seconds or rejected old stock like the rest of their products.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Like the rest of their products? How ya figger? I've never had/heard of inferior products coming from Costco.

brownnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI, 2011 JSW TDI & 2018 Atlas 2.0T S
We buy all of our tires and just about everything else in this household from Costco. I should buy some stock in that company. does anyone know what I could find them under (stock name)?

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by brownnugen:
does anyone know what I could find them under (stock name)?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's a bit off topic, so I guess I'll have to word it as their "crap" stock is "COST".

(I don't think their stock is "crap". I have no investment with it. I'm just keeping with the theme of the thread.)

Beowulf

Veteran Member
TDI
A3 Jetta, 1998, Green
Just bought 4 Michelins from Costco back in July. The tires are top notch. I also purchased and had them installed for about the same price of just buying the tires from TireRack.com.

I think you probably just got unlucky.

Ralph Gladd

I have been using costco as my source of tires (michelin MXV4)for the past several years with no problems at all.They rotate and rebalance free of charge and will repair or replace(pro rated)flat tires.
Ralph

gardentender

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
TDI
Jetta GL 5 spd, 2001, Galactic Blue
Regardless of retailer, I recommend Michelin tires. When working at a Sears Auto Center in the 70's, we found that Michelins/Road Handlers NEVER EVER had any defects. Some did not even need balance weights after computer spin checking. Michelin has not, in the past, unloaded factory seconds or "blems" on the market. (this is from a former Michelin truck tire distributor in New Orleans).

Wheel defects and sloppy mounting by tatooed minimum wage "technicians" can contribute a lot to "bad tires". They can easily bend steel wheels when mounting tires and warp alloy wheels with improper and excessive torquing of the lug nuts. After a few miles, the tires are ruined, leading one to believe it was the tires' fault.

blah, blah, woof, woof

hdavid

Purchased one set of 4 tires (Michelin) for the Chev Corsica (years ago), put 140,000 kms on them, sold the car recently - still have not hit the minimum tread wear indicators/thing-a-ma-bobby.

Also, 2 years ago purchased 4 more Michelins for the Chev Extended Cab. No problems.

The only gripe I have with the Michelins, due to the lengthy mileage warranty on them, is that they are tough. Very tough. Every pebble on the road you will feel.

However, small price to pay for a tire you can keep on your car for 7 years +

Regards

kato258

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Golf GL, A/T, flash red; 04 Jetta GL, A/T, wheat beige; 06 Golf GLS, A/T, blue anthracite
IMHO it's not the tires by the quality of the technicians. i bought my last set from Sam's Club. good tires, great price but the staff was pitiful. had to return for the same "free" repairs at least twice.

gardentender

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
TDI
Jetta GL 5 spd, 2001, Galactic Blue
you have to start off with good tires first.

Second, a cruddy technician can ruin a good tire easily.

[ September 13, 2001: Message edited by: gardentender ]

car54

theGAME
TDI
2002 Jetta
tires dont cause vibrations and so on. a technician whop doesnt know how to balance tires causes that. Costco doesnt sell bad tires, no tire mfg. would knowingly let a bad tire out the door (ok, maybe bridgestone/firestone). Ive used and recopmmended michelin, dunlop, yokohama, and BFGoodrich. they all rule. no matter where you buy them. its all in the skill of the technician.

The tires with the least amount of balance weight always go on the front. If a tire needs more than 2-3 ounces (or significantly more weight than the other tires) it should be rotated 180 degrees on the wheel, and rebalanced. Ive been doing this for years and my balances never come back. I dont like costco/sams club as they wont let you watcvh them balance the tires out. therefore you must trust the technician. If you want a good job, go to some place like sears auto center where they allow you in the shop. some NTB's will allow you to watch also.

Pace

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta Tdi & 2006 Jetta Tdi
VWBOOST: Kirkland tires are made by bridgestone. Costco does not carry anymore in-stock my size of tire 14" for the A3 jetta, special order only. I soon will need a 3rd set of tires. Michelins were bought from Costco and no problems on them, 45,000 miles so far and maybe 3000 mi. at the most left. Mark