Cost of timing belt replacement

Don_D

TDI
Jetta, 2000, White; Golf, 2000, Black
Does any one know how much it costs to replace a timing belt for a 2000 Golf TDI? And does anyone know of a good place to go in the San Diego area to get it replaced?

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
I know I got my parts for about 300 cdn for everything water pump serp belt hardware etc. from a local parts store all german stuff to :)

as for people I'm sure Yuri has a list of someone on your area

what's the milage ofyour car?

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
How do you feel about a little trip to Fullerton (outside L.A.) ????

Leonard Harview at Wild Rose Motors is one of the finest TDI techs in the country... I wouldn't consider going anywhere else in the region if I could get to him... (714) 449-0485

Since he'll insist on doing a complete timing belt job (rated at 100,000 miles), I would plan on spending somewhere around $800... You may find places that will quote lower prices, but you'll get a half-fast job...

All the best,

Yuri.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Leonard Harview is also username Harvieux here on tdiclub. He did a great TB job at a reasonable price on my Golf TDI. Definitely worth the drive to Fullerton, so give him a call.

TDIRyan

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI Black
Mine was $640 for all the rollers, belt and tensioner (that included a water pump with a metal impeller, not the usual plastic impeller). OF course, that's here in Memphis. I just got it back Wednesday!

Last edited:

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Don_D said:
Does any one know how much it costs to replace a timing belt for a 2000 Golf TDI? And does anyone know of a good place to go in the San Diego area to get it replaced?
I very strongly second going to Harvieux for the TB change job!

Don't fool around at all. It could cost you an engine and a lot more if you take it to a VW dealer or local shop that "claims" to know diesels and VWs.

Many VW dealers (and independent shops unfamiliar w/TDIs) will simply use the "mark and pray" method (totally wrong!) when doing the TB change. They also won't tell you about the condition of the waterpump and the 3 rollers (2 small + 1 big) that guide the TB through its path. They will also re-use the ONE-TIME USE engine mount bolts which MUST BE REPLACED WITH NEW BOLTS during a TB change job. The passenger side engine mount has to come apart during the job and the bolts are one-time use stretch bolts, which can be safely used only ONCE. There have been cases of engines falling out due to VW dealers reusing the bolts.

The waterpump will easily last through one TB interval but it's doubtful that it will make to the second or third TB change. A new WP costs something like $66 and a TB change is a perfect time to replace it. Many TDIclubbers replace it during each TB change.

Many TDIclubbers have also found it's worthwhile to replace the 3 TB guide rollers during each TB change. I almost learned the hard way during my first TB change at 80k miles in my 02 Golf TDI. My rollers were badly worn and ready to fail catastrophically at any moment, so they were replaced. I did my second TB change at 160k miles and again installed a new set of rollers. I'm now at 197k miles and still going strong.

When Harvieux does the job, he'll replace the TB, tensioner, waterpump, and the 3 rollers...basically everything in the entire TB path. It makes a TB change a little more expensive but well worth it as cheap insurance. He'll also install the upgraded TB kit which can go 100k miles. VW changed over to a stronger belt and tensioner in mid-2001 and it's backward compatible in your TDI. The simple rule to follow is to install the 100k mile belt and tensioner and always replace absolutely everything in the entire TB change path. The 100k kit includes everything.

Sorry for the rant, but I can't emphasize enough the importance of going to Harvieux for the TB change job. I live in NH, so I go to the east coast equivalent, Herm TDI up in Maine. I'd rather push my dead car to Maine than have it towed to the nearest VW dealer! :cool:

Good luck!

Last edited:

NFSTDI

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'98 Jetta
I've checked around a little in the Bay Area. I'd say $800 is a fair price for having it done right. It can be done for less as some have pointed out. As with anything you take a risk no matter what you do. I will this about Leonard Harview at Wild Rose Motors. I called him to ask some questions before purchasing my Jetta. He was very generous with his time and information knowing full well I live far away. I'd be likely to drive a ways and pay him a few extra bucks just on GP. In fact next time I'm in the market to purchase a TDI I will likely call him to see what he has in stock.

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
^^ hope they change all the needed bolts as well.

PYRO did you ge the serp belt as well? only think missing from Brian's kit

iaflyer

TDI
Jetta, 2000, Silver Arrow
I just had a timing belt & water pump done by Jetaah here in Michigan. He did just what n1das said - 100K timing belt and water pump. Well done - one advantage to having someone other than a dealer or shop do it is that you can watch and ask questions.

It gives you a good tour of your engine - what parts are where, that kind of thing. It took just around 6 hours - the cost here was $350 for the Dieselgeek Deluxe kit (100k kit) plus coolant, plus 6 hours of Jetaah's time. Total cost was around $600.

I feel confidant that it was done professional and I wouldn't hesitate to have him do it again.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Flamaest: price seems a bit low for a garage - if they're to replace _all_ the needed rollers and bolts... With an 2003, you do need to replace everything, as the chance that the WP and rollers will last another 100,000 miles is fairly low... and let's hope that this garage will actually use the 2003 model-year parts and not some old stock that's sitting in the back that's designed for the 2001...

As far as relative pricing, especially as it pertains to the "gurus" - some of them run commercial establishments and have overhead expenses which are reflected in the price they must charge... still cheaper (and without a doubt, better) than any VW dealership in their vicinity... Others work out of their houses (or out of their cars!!!), either full-time, part-time, or as a hobby... The only thing they share is a higher level of familiarity with this type of engine, and their love for these cars... that's something you can't "buy"...

YMMV

Yuri.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
-=PYRO=- said:
$350 tax in cad for the big kit. $125 installed by local mech(on the side).

:eek: :eek:

Cheap mechanic!

Wow! I'm not even that cheap!:D

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
jasonTDI said:

Cheap mechanic!

But when you were first starting out, maybe before you even set up as a business, did you charge as much as you do now?

jasonTDI

TDI
TornadoRed said:
But when you were first starting out, maybe before you even set up as a business, did you charge as much as you do now?
No, but not a LOT less. It's intersting seeing the "market rates" for TDI repair. I've come up $50 since I started. I do discounts for multiple work in some cases though. I have some local clients that use TDI's for business and have 7-8 of them. Want to do the dirty work? Real cheap. Yes. in CERTAIN cases I let people help if they know cars. I have no problem with that if I know upfront.

iluvmytdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, Platinum Grey
TDIRyan said:
Mine was $640 for all the rollers, belt and tensioner (that included a water pump with a metal impeller, not the usual plastic impeller). OF course, that's here in Memphis. I just got it back Wednesday!
Who did the work for you?

Anuhea

TDI
2001 Golf TDI
I just had my timing belt/water pump/serp belt, all that stuff changed on my 2001 golf here in Santa Barbara at Top Shop Automotive for about $800. That seems to be the going rate! These guys are great here, Willy and a couple of other guys have been working w/ VW's and TDI's for quite some time now. Very reliable! Good luck!

TDIRyan

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI Black
iluvmytdi said:
Who did the work for you?
I had it done at European Service Works on Pleasant View. Phil is the VW guy and does great work. I've had them work on my 944 before, so I trust their work and haven't had a problem with them ever. He did say it should have been a little more because of the roller costs, but he gave me back all the old parts and everything. (He also loved the modded TDI and said it ran great!).

The only other shop around that I'd trust for it is in West Memphis, and that was too far for me.

iluvmytdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, Platinum Grey
Good to know. Now that my '03 is out of warranty, I would really rather not darken the door of Gossett ever again.

jasonTDI

TDI
If anyones in Louisville and needs help get a GTG together and I'll come down. My niece lives there. Nice to come visit some time.

-=PYRO=-

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 JET TDI
jasonTDI said:

Cheap mechanic!

He's like gold to me. He's head mech at a local engine shop and I've been going to him for about 15 years for engine work. He's the best secret I have.

Frank M

BANNED
TDI
NB
why take a pay cut???

-=PYRO=- said:
He's like gold to me. He's head mech at a local engine shop and I've been going to him for about 15 years for engine work. He's the best secret I have.
Why does such a skilled person work for less than he should be paid?:confused:

NFSTDI

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'98 Jetta
Frank M said:
Why does such a skilled person work for less than he should be paid?:confused:
That's an interesting question to be sure. I certainly don't, at least not often. How long does it take to complete this task? I suppose that depends on your level of experience, working environment, distractions etc. I've read about at least one guy on this board who can do about a half dozen of these in one day. Let's see $125x4=$500. That's not bad for a days work especially if you normally work for someone else. I'm self employed and I'd be happy to make that four day a week or even three.

Frank M

BANNED
TDI
NB
Self employed and making good money

NFSTDI said:
That's an interesting question to be sure. I certainly don't, at least not often. How long does it take to complete this task? I suppose that depends on your level of experience, working environment, distractions etc. I've read about at least one guy on this board who can do about a half dozen of these in one day. Let's see $125x4=$500. That's not bad for a days work especially if you normally work for someone else. I'm self employed and I'd be happy to make that four day a week or even three.
Well being self employed I am sure that you may be able to do some of your tasks faster than your competition.

I doubt you or anyone would charge less because they did (6 timing belts) in one day. That particular day would be a fluke.
They would not be in business too long...

There are times when it takes longer to a task because of some problems that are not the customers fault, thats when the self employed takes it on the chin.
The trick is to almost eliminate situations where one has to take it on the chin. A healthy bottom line assures that the business will be around for awhile.

Last edited:

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
I would have to agree with Frank on that point the fact that he can do so many in one day is irrelevent, but what ever he/she would charge is up to them and pehaps for fellow forum memebers especially at a gtg like that there would be some negotiations on pricing

-=PYRO=-

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 JET TDI
I guess he's just happy to charge $/hr. I went to a garage to have 4 bushings put in a honda. I timed them and it took 1 1/2 hrs. they charged me for 4 hrs work because "the book" said 1 hr for 1 bushing, so they just mult. by 4. I was not happy and talked him down abit(3hrs). I don't agree with this book charge and think it should be illegal. With that said, I am VERY happy with paying per hr and my mech is happy doing the work for me....now, too bad he just does engine work!:D

TDIRyan

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI Black
The "Book Times" aren't exactly the most accurate. they charge what the dealer says is an acceptable time to do the job. Some things take only 45 minutes, but they will charge 2 hours cause the dealer says that's the acceptable time and if the mechanic is good and gets it done faster, it's like a bonus to him.

Of course, they do get screwed on some stuff - the acceptable time to change out a 2.0 engine is 4 hours - that's insanity.

wap

TDI
2005 Dodge dually
Anybody know a good place in Ga. preferably south Ga. to get the tb done? Is it pretty much manditory at 100k?

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
wap said:
Anybody know a good place in Ga. preferably south Ga. to get the tb done? Is it pretty much manditory at 100k?
Are you still talking about a 1.8 liter turbo gas engine VW? You're in the wrong forum but here's the maintenance schedule:
http://www.vw.com/spweb/pages/spweb/serv_maint_part.jsp

If you're talking about a Dodge Cummins... you're still in the wrong forum.