Corroded strut top spring perch

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Daughter's wagon had some suspension noises going on. Here is what I found (I replaced everything not quite 3 years ago- all new parts from a reputable/sponsor):

I've never seen a top spring perch corroded like this. This isn't the rust belt! (and even my car, which WAS from the rust belt, didn't have anything like this after 15 years or so)

The moisture is just from the road: it was raining a bit.

The upper part of the spring broke. Not sure which compromised which here. A good friend and mechanic up in BC will be doing the repair work and I hope that his forensics shed some light.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Daughter's wagon had some suspension noises going on. Here is what I found (I replaced everything not quite 3 years ago- all new parts from a reputable/sponsor):

I've never seen a top spring perch corroded like this. This isn't the rust belt! (and even my car, which WAS from the rust belt, didn't have anything like this after 15 years or so)

The moisture is just from the road: it was raining a bit.

The upper part of the spring broke. Not sure which compromised which here. A good friend and mechanic up in BC will be doing the repair work and I hope that his forensics shed some light.

What brand of strut?

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
Is it....Meyle?

Does not surprise me a bit if it was that brand. Imagine if you did live in the salt belt. Thanks for the heads up. I hope the vendor takes note...whoever it is.

I think that the OEM perches are plated, galvanized, or just plain quality steel before they are painted and what you have is not. That area obviously needs better protection.
Was the spring and perch separate pieces or a complete strut assembly?

Last edited:

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
Coil spring broke, you can see the broken bit on top.
Common failure - then falls off the perch. Makes some horrible noises!!! I've had low and high mile cars, front and rear. Keeping a spare set on the shelf now for emergencies.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Common failure - then falls off the perch. Makes some horrible noises!!! I've had low and high mile cars, front and rear. Keeping a spare set on the shelf now for emergencies.
Yep, happened on my MK5 backing down my driveway and bam front spring broke and I couldn't turn the steering wheel because it jammed up in the strut tower. Thank goodness it didn't happen when I was away from home.