Correcting for larger tires. Odometer lags by 10%

4th4

TDI
2005.1 Jetta Wagon BEW
TL;DR
Is there a way to add a correction factor to under-reporting odometers that lag by 10%?

This question's been asked a lot I know, but hear me out.

I have larger than stock tires which causes my speedometer needle to read 3 to 5 mph under actual speed and becomes LESS accurate the faster I go. So not only is it the needle UNDER actual speed, its NONLINEAR.
Lower speeds its more accurate
50 actual I'm reading 48 apparent
80 actual I'm reading 75 apparent

Prime recipe for a speeding ticket

This part doesn't really bother me, what bothers me is my mileage is off by approx 1/10th per 10 miles according to GPS as well as the roadside speedometer checks you see on highways. Doesn't sound like a lot but after a tank of fuel it could be off by 50 miles.

Now, I'm not looking to do anything nefarious like alter my odometer, but I would like to somehow re-calibrate the Distance Impulse Number (DIN) to be more true to actual.

From my understanding, each of the D.I.N.s is assigned a multiplier and this multiplier is what changes the speedometer readout. Furthermore, its sort of hard-coded into the instrument cluster. I've experimented with the available DIN's in VCDS while driving and they're nowhere close to getting me closer to actual. In fact they're all so far off it's hilarious.

My question:
I've heard, if you've done the math, its possible to use something like VAG-Tacho to change the multipliers behind each of the Distance Impulse Numbers. But I've also heard this doesn't have an affect on the odo. But is there a way to apply a correction factor to the odometer as well? Through either a correction factor using VAG-Tacho or changing the multiplier, or some other mechanical means?

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M