Correct way to Boost Leak test my ALH TDI?

2002_auto_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
03 5spd wagon and 02 01m sedan
I have searched around and have noticed that there seem to be numerous ways to do it that contradict each other.

As a matter of fact, I see posts where people complain that there are too many contradictions!

I am using the below method with my homemade boost leak tester that I used to use on my 4g63t.

It is very reliable and works perfect but due to sizing I can only fit it on the airbox end of the accordion.

Is this still a suitable test? I am reading that this is not the right way because the airbox isn't pressurized and yet the below is still sold with clear instructions which makes me think that is a reasonable method.

What is the deal here?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
You need to test from turbo outlet, to EGR valve inlet. I ended up making my own adapter from pvc piping from home depot. Put a cap on the turbo end, then have the gauge at the elbow that goes to the intake. Should hold 25psi no issues.

2002_auto_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
...and that is the way it was done on the 4g63....I have a similar home depot setup. Appreciated.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
You need to test from turbo outlet, to EGR valve inlet. I ended up making my own adapter from pvc piping from home depot. Put a cap on the turbo end, then have the gauge at the elbow that goes to the intake. Should hold 25psi no issues.
So, just to elaborate (and clarify for me): You pull the outlet pipe off the turbo, cap/seal that end of the piping, then rig up something similar at the EGR end of the piping? What do you use to pressurize and measure the air pressure?

2002_auto_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
So, just to elaborate (and clarify for me): You pull the outlet pipe off the turbo, cap/seal that end of the piping, then rig up something similar at the EGR end of the piping? What do you use to pressurize and measure the air pressure?
Well I can speak to how I more or less built one for my 4g63t. If the diameter of the turbo Inlet is different I think I would rather try to work through that with an adapter than build another one...

Post 3.

I did add a boost gauge, I just watched the one in the car. My compressor has a boost gauge so I started a few psi below my boost target and carefully increased pressure from there. At the end of the white cap, I used a quick disconnect fitting from harbor freight for quick disconnect to the compressor.

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta wagon (365k)2001 wagon tire burner 6spd 2003 wagon(417k)
Look for the oil leakage. Reolace seal at that point, if oil returns replace that pipe.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
With the car running I sprayed soapy water on the pipes from the ASV and worked back to the turbo.
I did find a crack where one of the tubes rubbed against a pulley.