Corrado retrofit - W8 Clocks Problem

G60'rado

TDI
1990 Corrado G60, Donor Mk4 Jetta, Donor 1994 Corrado VR6
Hi everyone. First time poster, long time lurker.

I'm in the process of swapping in a 2000 ALH TDI/TEVES 20 ABS / Climatronic into my 1994 Corrado. I have a lot of stuff hooked up and communicating on K-Line or Canbus. Should be ready for a start soonish if I can get the cluster sorted.

I acquired a couple passat W8 clusters, and have flashed the 1j5920946 eeprom onto them using the amazing kw1281test tool.
Followed the W8 retrofit in a TDI PDF,
-added the glow plug light,
-pulled the skc out of the clusters,
-used dash dump edit software to calibrate the speedo/tach to my stock jetta faces, welcome message, needle sweep, and canbus coolant temperature. Did the output test in VCDS to set the needles

So things are going ok.. When it is plugged into the k-line and canbus, it sees both the abs module and ecu. Even is pulling the coolant temp from the ecu over can.

On the bench, when I try to pair my keys to the immobilizer (VCDS-Lite)
-instruments,
-check the key can be paired using measuring block 23 (i think),
-login using skc (immo light comes on solid)
-goto adaptation 21, read, try to set the # of keys to a new number, test, "Error" and save never becomes available.
I have not tried doing this in the car yet, to see if it needs to be talking to the ECU.

I was able to pair my keys using this same technique to my old immo 2 cluster on the bench.

The other problem that has me scratching my head, is I am positive I had the drivers open door indication working at some point (t32/21), but now it doesn't want to do anything when grounded.
I tried flashing the 3b7920846 and 3b7920946 images back on to the clusters to see if I can make that work, and then the base 1j5920946 image with no mods.
Verified the wires go back to the correct pin. Tried all kinds of different coding on it. Including changing the country to US & saudi arabia (which dash dump edit).

Any ideas? Has any one run into these before?

Thanks!

Last edited:

G60'rado

TDI
Still have not been able to program new keys on the W8/1J5-920-946E hybrid cluster.

I did get it to recognize my new keys by programming them on to my immo 2 cluster, and then copying them over into the hybrid rom using dashdump edit.

Turns out that the cluster gets most of its status information (doors open, hood open, lights on, etc from the CCM module).

I aquired a 1C0 module from a 2003 jetta that I'm going to experiment with to get full FIS functionality.

G60'rado

TDI
Small bit of progress today.

I was clearing up faults in the instrument cluster and ECU, and had engine immobilizer preventing start popping up now,

The drawings for the cluster (2003 W8 passat), didn't show the W-line coming from the ECU going to the cluster. There wasn't even a wire in the instrument cluster harness for T32a/5. The drawings for the 2000 ALH showed the W-Line going to T32a/5, so I guess they did away with that in later cars. What I had read was to wire the W-Line from the ECU to the K-line bus and call it done. I could communicate with the ECU, and it seemed happy enough. Just getting immobilizer alerts, and couldn't program keys.

I thought I'd trying hooking up the ECU W-Line to T32a/5, and after an adaptation 00 / Save, it would let me program keys, and the immobilizer code went away. Before the adaptation, I was getting a cluster unauthorized on the ECU, which was a new one for me.

Great success! Hopefully someone finds this info useful in the future.

Now to figure out the door open, hood open, lights on gong/buzzer.