Copper fittings in coolant system

Mike Morriss

TDI
99 New Beetle, 91 Vanagon TDI conversion, 05 New Beetle, 2014 Jetta Sportwagen
I am putting a 1Z TDI into my Vanagon. To make the coolant hoses fit well, I have put in several fittings like T and elbow fittings made of copper. Is this likely to cause problems because of dissimilar metals in contact with the coolant?

How about galvenized steel?

Does anyone know what kind(s) of plastic fittings are safe to use in the coolant system?

Thanks,
Mike am4kids@kskc.net

solstar

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 NB red cabrilet
it's true that old radiators were copper but the question is compatabality with antifreeze check with the mfg.of the fluid your putting in-it may be O.K. if your running water, but the glycerine alcohol or any other new long life fluids may cause a problems! /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Smog

Registered Vendor
TDI
Jetta4 1999.5
My double cab Vanagon have OEM German copper tubes to bring the coolant from the rear to the front radiator....

Metalnerd

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 Passat TDI Storm Grey
A couple of guesses:

1) Stay away from galvanized. The zinc is probably very reactive.

2) Surface area and proximity can make a difference. Small amounts of copper, placed in rubber hose some distance away from the aluminum and steel parts should not be too bad. The copper itself will last indefinately in that scenario and the aluminum sacrifice should be small. Electrical conduction along the rubber hose will be small (but not zero).

If you had large amounts of copper touching small amounts of aluminum, you could get rapid corrosion of the aluminium. The steel and iron parts are more reactive than the copper but less than the aluminum so they are likely uninvolved.

dieseltwo

Veteran Member
I would use nylon type fittings as your plastic choice. I was told that they take the heat the best. Copper,brass and steel fittings are also ok for antifreeze. I would not use galvanized fittings.[Dieseltwo,Bradford,Ont.,Can..]