Cooling Fan's not working.

Lane_S

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GL 2003 Blue
For the past 2 years I had an issue with low coolant temps which I guessed might be a bad thermostat. This month I replaced the thermostat with a 195 Deg. unit and changed to Evans waterless coolant. I also made sure to test the AC/Fan issue as described in another thread. I have Ultraguage to monitor temps. After changing the thermostat and coolant I noticed hotter temps up to 212 Deg. I tested the fans with a jumper and they work. I then changed out the temp sensor( Green 4 pin) and the temp switch in the radiator (3 blade) but still have the high temps and the fans will not activate low or high speed. What is my next move to diagnose this?:confused:

ScottySK

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta GLS
If it checks out, could be that the temperature at the coolant sensor is reading 212F (100C) but is not as high or within the fan operation range at the radiator temp switch. Only way to tell then is with a temperature gauge.

At least you're safe still with Evans coolant. Highest I've seen with operational radiator fans & the 92C unmodified stat is 96C (205F) with my radiator completely blocked (winter-mode). Slow speed fan was running at that point when stopped.