Cooling fan help.

BravoTDI

TDI
2014 Passat SE
After being on the freeway for a bit, the cooling fan seems to run at an extremely high speed, so much that I can feel a strong vibration in the steering wheel and a loud hum. the temperature gauge is normal, no warning lights. just a loud hum and a vibration on a 2014 VW Passat TDI SE. My last Passat TDI never did this. Any ideas what could cause this, how to fix it?

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
After being on the freeway for a bit, the cooling fan seems to run at an extremely high speed, so much that I can feel a strong vibration in the steering wheel and a loud hum. the temperature gauge is normal, no warning lights. just a loud hum and a vibration on a 2014 VW Passat TDI SE. My last Passat TDI never did this. Any ideas what could cause this, how to fix it?
Small one kicks on during Regen. Is the fan assy tight to the rad support? I doubt your feeling the fan. It's a diesel. They vibrate.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You probably have a fan blade coming apart.

Both fans should always run together, there is never a time when only one fan runs. The CKRA is very smooth (balance shafts and DMF).

Fans run on high speed during and right after an active regen, that is normal. But a bad vibration is typically a cracked/broken fan blade, setting one off balance and the whole car shakes.

wsc

TDI
99.5 Jetta, 06 Jetta (Totaled), 14 Passat.
My 2014 Passat is doing the same thing now. The small one is vibrating. Any opinion on best part source? also, just change the plastic fan or the whole assembly?

Last edited:

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
I know that some of the fans have a clip-on weight or two on the edge of the blades to balance them. I can't recall if the OEM ones do but if it did and a weight got thrown it could set up the vibration that is present.
And if the fans have been messed with for any reason, (like removal for some other service like mechatronic replacement), etc...make sure that all three legs of the fan tripod are fastened to the shroud properly. Not entirely sure that this applies to the NMS Passat. In any case check that the mounting points for the fan and shroud are doing their job.

Last edited:

wsc

TDI
99.5 Jetta, 06 Jetta (Totaled), 14 Passat.
You probably have a fan blade coming apart.

Both fans should always run together, there is never a time when only one fan runs. The CKRA is very smooth (balance shafts and DMF).

Fans run on high speed during and right after an active regen, that is normal. But a bad vibration is typically a cracked/broken fan blade, setting one off balance and the whole car shakes.
Mine was cracked on the hub, let it get out of shape at high speed and really start wobbling and shaking. Put a new on on and all better.