Coolant system issue 2015 Jetta TDI S

gopack42

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI S
Hello Friends!
I recently had the fitting that comes out of the firewall where the heater core hose attaches to replaced due to its failure. I have 120000 miles on my car with no major issues since I bought the car in 2018 with 35000 miles. 10 days after the dealership did the repair, the same part broke leaving me stranded on the interstate, just like last time. This is a long story, so bare with me. The first time it broke, I was 4.5 hours from home headed to visit my brother. It cost $1000 at the local dealership. I get home and my water temp light starts flashing. I looked and there are no leaks, and the car runs fine, but noticed the water tank is low. I add some DI water and the light went off and things were fine for another day or two. I have to head to the airport 2 hours away 2 days ago and all of a sudden the water temp light starts flashing again, but I checked and the tank js full. I cut the car off, wait a minute, and crak it back up and the light goes off. I continue driving. I get another 40 mins up the road on the interstate and start seeing and smelling smoke in the cabin. I pull off and open the hood and the same part was now broken. The original dealership decides to tow it back to their dealership, which is 3 hours from where I broke down. Because Im flying out, I get an uber to the airport while they tow my car 3 hours. I get a call amd they tell me that the reason this fitting broke is because I have failed to regularly flush my coolant system. They want $2200 to "deeply clean" the coolant system because its "all gunked up" but they'd fix the original part. My question is, I don't see a published service interval for a coolant system flush, so how am I as a customer supposed to know to flush the system? Also, they just flushed the system when they repaired the broken fitting, and didn't notice an issue at that time?!? I've called other dealerships and they are a little taken back by what I've been told. My car is still under the emission repair recall's extended warranty, so is this not a warranty issue? I told them to fix the broken part and get me my car back without this deep system clean and I'd investigate further. Is there any advice here from the professionals? I honestly don't have $2200 to fix my car. Heck, I only owe $5000 on it, so this is extremely frustrating. Any thoughts?? Thank you all so much!!

ticaf

Veteran Member
TDI
Stock 2015 Golf SW S Manual TDI
BS from your dealership.
Maybe you have a clogged heater core?
Should not break the fitting though, should it?

Highwaylizard

TDI
2014 Jetta SportWagen TDI
I get a call amd they tell me that the reason this fitting broke is because I have failed to regularly flush my coolant system. They want $2200 to "deeply clean" the coolant system because its "all gunked up" but they'd fix the original part. My question is, I don't see a published service interval for a coolant system flush, so how am I as a customer supposed to know to flush the system? Also, they just flushed the system when they repaired the broken fitting, and didn't notice an issue at that time?!? I've called other dealerships and they are a little taken back by what I've been told. My car is still under the emission repair recall's extended warranty, so is this not a warranty issue? I told them to fix the broken part and get me my car back without this deep system clean and I'd investigate further. Is there any advice here from the professionals? I honestly don't have $2200 to fix my car. Heck, I only owe $5000 on it, so this is extremely frustrating. Any thoughts?? Thank you all so much!!
What evidence did the dealer provide of this "gunk"? In my experience (and I am not an expert on anything) the only ways to gunk up a coolant system are to either use the wrong coolant (happens a lot on Toyotas) or to introduce oil or transmission fluid into the coolant.

Plus one on the whole concept that you failed to follow an unpublished double top-secret maintenance procedure of regular coolant system flushes that should have been performed by the dealer in the first place . . .. . :rolleyes::unsure:

Last edited:

gopack42

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI S
BS from your dealership.
Maybe you have a clogged heater core?
Should not break the fitting though, should it?
My thoughts as well. I just told them to replace the part and get me my car. In my research, people have said this particular part is notorious for failing due to plastic thicknesses at the Y point of the fitting.

Peytsdad

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
This part has broken 3x in my '15 Passat TDI, 88k. On 9/3, I fixed it myself followed by a flush at the dealer..No mention of heater core underlying cause or deep flushing. On 10/12 it broke again. Towed it to the same dealer. They said the original installer may have cracked it on install. HA! Still can't find an underlying cause. On 10/24 it broke again. Towed it to a different dealer. Repaired under the warranty of the previous fix. This dealer diagnosed blocked heater core but wanted $1200 to replace. I ordered a "Nissens 561819031C" heater core from FCP Euro. It took 2+ hours. I did not loosen the fitting on the firewall. Tonight I will cut the old one open tonight looking for blockage and jelling.
All 3x, i was going 75+ for over an hour. I keep a spare hose fitting in the trunk. I loved this car for 5 years. Trust has taken a severe hit.