Coolant return

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
Today the hose from upper radiator hose to egr cooler was replaced. Refilled system. How fast should the return line be filling the coolant ball. I only see a drip but believe it should be faster like a weak water fountain. Coolant was at operating temp.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Massage the upper hose, it should be a little trickle otherwise its air bound. It helps to let it sit some times.

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
Another helpful thing is to mityvac the return until you get solid flow, and see the reservoir drop some. Once you have solid flow, reattach, fill to min/max, and let her rip.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I've never had an issue with any ALH or BEW engine not self-purging air out of the cooling system. The ALH in my Vanagon with the Radiator and Heater Core 16 feet to the front, air is purged rather quick with no problems at all. Thus, I believe there must be something unusual going on with the OP's engine.

The T-stat should be closed with a cold engine. The closed T-stat forces all coolant circulation thru the EGR cooling system, heater core, oil cooler and the expansion tank. Coolant from all of those components returns via a black steel pipe at/near the back side of the T-stat and Water Pump. Also, that circuit of circulation is always in motion whether the T-stat is open or closed.

However, an Open T-stat with a cold engine with air in the system may take a while to purge out the air... An Open T-stat with a cold engine is a bad T-stat.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
... believe it should be faster like a weak water fountain. Coolant was at operating temp.
You are correct in that you should see a steady, somewhat anemic stream from the return line to the recovery tank ball.

If the coolant is at temperature, then relax. Stop the engine and let it cool down. Any trapped air will then shrink when it cools and suck up more coolant from the ball. Just fill the ball to a little over halfway, then run the cycle again. When you do that a few times, you will see the coolant not dropping below the minimum cool fill line after cool down, and you'll know you're done.

Cheers,

PH