Coolant Question

jetchase

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon (black)
I've gathered from reading some posts here that the G-12 coolant in my 2003 Jetta Wagon doesn't need to be replaced unless I'm replacing my water pump. Fair enough, but when my engine is cold, the coolant in the reservior is just below (1 cm) the minimum line. Is this anything to worry about? Should I add some G-12?

Davin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS 5spd blk/blk
As long as it's where it should be when the engine is hot, I wouldn't worry about it.

neweo9521

Even though the coolant is permanent shouldn't the hoses be changed every 5 years? Shouldn't the coolant be renewed at that time also?

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
[ QUOTE ]
Even though the coolant is permanent shouldn't the hoses be changed every 5 years? Shouldn't the coolant be renewed at that time also?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the main reason why you should only use G-12, there are no phopsphates in the G-12 that attacks the rubber in the coolant hoses. Other than hoses that have failed due to chaffing I dont know of a single hose that has ever failed on a TDI due to decomposition of the rubber when using G-12 coolant since new. Every one of the hoses on all of my families TDI's are in new condition. My 1998 TDI hoses still have the same feel and stiffness and shape (no swelling) of a new hose after 180,000 miles. I doubt that I will ever have to replace any of the hoses on my TDI regardless of age.

DB

Spectextre

TDI
Jetta, 2003, galatic blue pearl
Does anyone know where the G-12 coolant can be purchased besides the dealership. I live about 100 miles from the nearest VW dealership.
Thanks.

jetchase

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon (black)
I'm the original poster, and something's come up with my coolant:

When I changed the oil about a month ago, I noticed that my coolant was about 1 cm below the minimum minimum line, but I thought that it was just due to the engine being cold, so I didn't check it again.

However, I just changed my oil again (I'm about to go on a cross-country road trip), and I noticed that it was significanly below the line -- around 1" - 1.5" below it. My temperature light starting flashing as soon as I started my car, which -- according to the manual -- means that my coolant level is low. I topped the reservoir off with DI water (all the VW dealers around here are closed on Sunday), and it took about 2 cups, I'd guess, to get it to the top of the crosshatched minimum area.

So my question: I'm going to take my car to the dealer tomorrow, to see if they can figure out where my coolant is going. There is a very reputable dealer around 35 miles from my house. Is it safe to drive the car there with my coolant somewhat diluted? The coolant is disappearing only very slowly, and my car has never gone a bit over the 190 degree marker on the temp gauge, so I'm not worried about a sudden loss of G12. Waiting around to diagnose this problem myself is not an option, since my 50k warranty expires in 1500 miles!

dqa

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP: 1999½ New Golf GL TDI satin silver
Does anyone know where the G-12 coolant can be purchased besides the dealership. I live about 100 miles from the nearest VW dealership.
Thanks.
Impex has the best variety of online VW parts, at pretty good prices.

This is not to say that other companies don't have better deals on particular products. If G12 is one of them, someone will surely chime in shortly.