Coolant Light flashing

TDiPd05

TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2005, Silver, 5-Speed
For the passed couple of days here in DFW my coolant light flashes after startup. It only happens at temperatures below 30-32F. If I restart the car after about 3-5 minutes of driving the flashing coolant light stays off. Ideas?

Does any one in the west/north Fort Worth have 8 to 12 oz of G12 coolant I could have? The coolant level looks ok before I start it, but it maybe just a little too low.

Thanks, David - 2005 Jetta Wagon

Last edited:

winks

Veteran Member
our '04wagon did the same thing this mornin' (-20cel.)...:rolleyes: so I'm curious as well?? The EGR cooler re-call was done a few months ago, and the coolant level always stays above the min. line:confused:

TDiPd05

TDI
I bought some coolant from the dealer in Fort Worth. This weekend I’ll add enough to bring the “at cold level” to the top of minimum band and see if problem still remains. If anyone needs some coolant I’m going to have a bit left over, but if it saves a service call to the dealer then it will be worth it.

Nate_Grauvogel

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 T-Reg Exec
Unless you've got a leak, you probably won't be low on coolant. What does your owners' manual say about the light's functions? I'm not completely familiar with the A4 Jetta/Golfs instrumentation - might be temperature-related.

TDiPd05

TDI
The owner's manual says "the engine coolant temperature / level light ... either the coolant temperature is too high, or the coolant level is too low". it also says "... if the coolant level is normal, check the fuse for the radiator fan". I agree it's more then likely a temperature issue, but I'm hoping for an easy fix. The only trouble is the weather may not get cold enough over the weekend. I'm not looking forward to the trouble of leaving my car at the dealer over night so they diagnose the problem, but I think that is where I'm headed.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
My '02 has done this for years, only on the first start on a cold day. It's been in the teens here the past two mornings and it did it both days. If I shut it off and restart it goes away. I suspect it's got something to do with the coolant level when the car's cold on a very cold day being lower than other days. At any rate, I don't worry about it anymore.

TDiPd05

TDI
I added 8-10 ozs of coolant this weekend. It maybe a while before it is cold enough here in Texas to see if adding some coolant addressed the light flashing issue. Since I park my car in the garage at night it might even be next year.
Thanks for your comments and suggestions, David

Jeff_Duncan

Veteran Member
Funny - We have the exact same issue with our 02. Only when cold. nobody has posted a fix - were you guys low on coolant? There is no leak, but the timing belt and water pump were done last spring - maybe the coolant setled a bit? I will check it out tonight.

DC-TDIWagon

Veteran Member
DC (really Fairfax county, but it is easier to say
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, Reflex Silver
I have an issue that might be related to this. I have the full pixel MFD and I've gotten the message "Stop Check Coolant Manual" two different times when starting when it was below freezing. I used VAG-COM and there are no error codes. I also checked my coolant level and it looked fine. I'm kind of stumped. It seems to only happen when the glow plugs actually get activated.

PS: Why is this in a regional forum? I only happened to see it because I searched.

japedtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta wagon, repaired and sold 04 jetta sedan, traded for wifey's 06 jetta sedan, trade for you dont want to know;{to know
coolant light flashing

i had the same issue. flashing light on startup, drive about a mile or so, restart and no light. seems the coolant level was low, so i topped it off and no more flashing light. although crapped out one of the glow plugs, so i replaced and no more problems.

mtbr297

Vendor
TDI
2015 Golf TDI, Seat Leon FR PD 150 6 speed.
Bring it by and I will scan it. Probably low on coolant. In cooler weather things tend to shrink, hence low on coolant sensor senses low coolant. Coolant lite comes on.

TDiPd05

TDI
As recommended from another post I cleaned (wiped) the coolant sensor probes in the coolant tank. Adding more coolant didn't work. The problem hasn't returned at this point. Sorry about the late update.

mnreybers

TDI
2002 jetta 4 1.9 tdi highline
Hi, my 2002 MK4 jetta tdi 81kw model tells me every time i start the engine when its cold to check my coolant, first couple of times i switch of and sometime leave it to idle, get out, pop the hoot and check my level but its on the mark where it must be. After min or 2 driving i can switch off and back on again and the warning is gone. How can i sort out my problem, i'm driving like this for the last 7 months now. Anyone maybe had this problem and got it sorted out and how, pls? I see allot of people have this same problem.

mnreybers

TDI
2002 jetta 4 1.9 tdi highline
Hi, my 2002 MK4 jetta tdi 81kw model tells me every time i start the engine when its cold to check my coolant, first couple of times i switch of and sometime leave it to idle, get out, pop the hoot and check my level but its on the mark where it must be. After min or 2 driving i can switch off and back on again and the warning is gone. How can i sort out my problem, i'm driving like this for the last 7 months now. Anyone maybe had this problem and got it sorted out and how, pls? I see allot of people have this same problem.