Coolant Leak

greytdi

TDI
2012 Volkswagen TDI 6 Speed
I had my car parked an in incline and had a big pool of coolant on the ground and puddle in my splash guard. Brought it into my shop and jacked it up and have been running it and trying my heat and cold air and not dripping a single drop. Anyone have this problem?

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
What side of the car is it coming on? Can you see any leaks under the car or where the trail of coolant is coming from? If its leaking, there will be wet spots under the hood/car.

greytdi

TDI
This morning just saw a puddle under the right side of car. Just re did timing belt and water pump 2k miles ago. Guessing bad seal on water pump or faulty water pump

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Is there coolant leaking out from the timing belt side? You should be able to check if you remove the upper timing cover and look down with a light and see if there is coolant in there.

greytdi

TDI
Didn’t have time to check a whole bunch this morning but just saw it was right underneath timing belt but didn’t see nothing yesterday from the top. If the water pump is bad there should be coolant on the sidewalls and underneath that timing belt cover?

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Depends how much is leaking out. But regardless there should be evidence of coolant leaking from that area if it is the water pump. You should be able to see from up top with removing the upper timing cover.

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Good to hear you found the issue. Annoying that you had to take it all apart again but atleast it was a 'easy' find.