Coolant leak

mz1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 GTD Stage III / 2015 Touareg TDI LUX Stage II
Watching this thread as im shopping for used T'reg's and Q7's all have this CNRB engine. With diesel being over a dolor more per gallon I mite commit a tdi club felony and look at VR6's
I have both and while the TDI has more torque, the V6 is buttery smooth to drive, nice growl sound when you step on it and very maintenance friendly, I think the V6 is more reliable than the TDI, generally those have no oil leaks, coolant leaks and a bit less maintenance, plus you save a few thousand on the sticker price as well.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
..until they don't. The VR6 is a pain in the butt to service in the car, aside from spark plugs and maybe the mechanical water pump. Oil change is a pain because of where the oil filter is, but not awful. Everything else is quite difficult. The valve covers that fail come to mind, as the intake manifold has to come off and while it *looks* like it is not that bad, once you get into it, it becomes a chore. Catalysts are a major pain, too. At least the later ones don't require engine removal for a thermostat (seriously).

Never understood why they didn't just use the V6 in those. Audi eventually did.

Reactions: jrm

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
thanks for the info, so many used rigs out there- its quite the chore