Coolant leak? Head gasket cost?

RichCA

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GL, 2002, Red
I posted this but need help quick and I always get more replies in the Ontario forum. I'm really starting to think it's the head gasket so can anyone do it for a reasonable price if it is? Any other ideas what it could be?

Here's the post:

Hi all. I've been leaking coolant and now its really bad, almost a litre a day if its a long trip. It's leaking from the expansion tank area, running down to the intercooler and dripping by the front passenger side wheel. I replaced the expansion tank and the cap and it still leaking. Am I looking at a head gasket problem making the pressure too high? It definitely is worse the more aggressive and faster I drive.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Rich

Alchemist

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 ALH Golf
Try leaving the pressure cap off and running the engine. If you see a lot of bubbles, that indicates head gasket. You may also try removing the glow plugs and turning it over with the starter. If coolant comes out the hole you will know which cylinder has the bad part. If you have a gauge, a compression test may tell you what is going on.

Hoping this helps.

Paul

RichCA

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GL, 2002, Red
Thanks for the reply.
Well, I tried running the car (idle) without the pressure cap but I didn't see any bubble. Should I get someone to rev it a bit?
If I do the glow plug test do I just remove them all and try to crank it over then look in the holes?

RichCA

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GL, 2002, Red
After reading some other posts, I definitely think it's the head gasket. Is there anyone in Ontario who wants to take on the job of changing it. I'll pay anything reasonable as especially if I can get it done this week or next week. I could even leave you the car this weekend.

Anyone?

Thanks,

Rich

RichCA

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GL, 2002, Red
Perfect, I'm in that area 4 days a week right now. I'll give him a call.

Thanks

Last edited:

Slowrvr

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Golf Sportwagon
Inspect the hoses carefully first. I was chasing a coolant leak and it turned out to be a small split on the underside of a hose going into the thermostat. Easy fix. I would check the hoses aren't torn at the clamps and that the tank doesn't have a crack.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
You better be damn sure it's the HG, they usually don't fail unless the car severily over heated. As suggested above, have the coolant system checked by someone that knows what they are doing, don't just start throwingparts at it. Have it pressurized and look fo rleaks. If it's leaking a litre a day, it will be very visible when some pressure is introduced into it.

Last month had a guy drop off a car for a clutch job. He had the new parts in the truck, so I replaced it as per his instructions. When the clutch came off, it was still in an excellent condition. I never test drove it as he insisted to change it, so I did. What a waste of money that was for him.

RichCA

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GL, 2002, Red
I'm pretty sure. My car has lots of mods and I had the head studs changed 200000kms ago with the apr studs which were not tight enough so they lifted. Found out same thing happened to a friends who did their's ath the same time a couple yrs ago.