Coolant hose kit

jettajim

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Golf 6-spd, '12 Passat gasser:(
I need to change all of my hoses on my '01 Jetta TDI 5 spd. I did this a few years ago on my wife's TDI and there was quite a bit of research to get the correct hoses. I didn't buy them from the dealer.

Is there someone that sells a kit containing all of the hoses? Similar to the TB kits.

Thanks,
Jim

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Why do you need to replace all the hoses? Shoot, my 1991 Jetta has all its original hoses... should I be worried?

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I still contend that 2 baths of salt didn't do your car in :p Not sayin they didn't help it along the way though....

-J

oilhammer

TDI
compu_85 said:
I still contend that 2 baths of salt didn't do your car in :p Not sayin they didn't help it along the way though....

-J
Actually, I am certain that did it. The entire engine compartment looked like crap after that first trip. Worse than it ever had before.

jettajim

Veteran Member
TDI
Herm, I don't have the EGR cooler anymore and it's a manual. So every other hose except for the ones associated with the EGR cooler & auto tranny.

I want to change these because of the Texas heat and year of car. It's almost 10 years old!! Also, the car's use. It's VERY important that this car is up and about ALL the time. The old 'ounce of prevention' saying.

Thanks,

oilhammer

TDI
The moon has a better chance of crashing into the Pacific ocean than your Volkswagen has of having coolant hose issues unless something (like fuel) leaks on them.

I'd find something else to worry about. These cars have very good hoses.

jettajim

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks oilhammer.

Fortunately, I don't have any worries with my flawless tried and true theory of PM. However, if my theory was flawed such as the case of 'VWs have good hoses', I would in deed be worried.

I work in the petro-chemical industry as a chemist and rubber isn't as long lasting as one may think. That's precisely why the hoses on any car need to be replaced as regular PM even if the PM is every 10 years or so.

oilhammer

TDI
jettajim said:

I work in the petro-chemical industry as a chemist and rubber isn't as long lasting as one may think. That's precisely why the hoses on any car need to be replaced as regular PM even if the PM is every 10 years or so.
And I work in the automotive service industry, specializing in VAG products, and I am telling you your hoses are likely fine and you should concentrate your PM efforts elsewhere on your car. ;)

I have a 1991 Jetta with 340k miles, a 2001 Golf with 383k miles, and have had a 1997 Passat with 352k miles, all with original coolant hoses.

You'll find most everyone here will have similar experience as mine. If hoses on these cars (or most any other modern automobile) were problematic, the dealers would stock them.

The ONLY coolant hoses that I have EVER seen on any VAG product that needed to be replaced were ones that were contaminated with oil or fuel or something that caused them to soften and swell up.

FWIW, I have a 2002 Jetta, from Texas no less, in the shop today with 154k miles and each and every coolant hose looks as good as the day it left the factory.

jettajim

Veteran Member
TDI
OK oilhammer, I've been reading your stuff since we both joined years ago and I never thought the info you gave was 'wackey' soooooo, maybe I'll keep my hoses for another year:D .

I wasn't looking forward to changing them all anyways so I guess I should say 'Thanks'. Plus my pocket will stay a little heavier.

Be on the lookout for the same question next year:p

jettajim

Veteran Member
TDI
It's been a long, long time since I visited here. The info you gave is great! I will tighten my ac pulley tonight.

Thanks!

bradcsti

TDI
2000 GOLF TDI
HermTDI, the hose that is listed as 14 in that diagram is leaking on my car, and I have been searching for a part #, but cannot find it listed anywhere besides that diagram that you have posted! Do you happen to know this part number?

thanks
-brad

JettaTDIBlack

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI Automatic Sedan
Thank you for this! It's a pain to tell which ones I need since the car is in the shop and I only have pictures that I had taken to compare them with. I'm trying to order the parts myself so it's cheaper.

phaser

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD - 490k
Herm, even though this is a resurrected 9 year old thread, I'd to request an EKTA screen for the 2004 Jetta please.

Replacing all engine compartment hoses is on my to do list.

Last edited:

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
Herm, even though this is a resurrected 9 year old thread, I'd to request an EKTA screen for the 2004 Jetta please.

Replacing all engine compartment hoses is on my to do list.

At the moment my ETKA is down. I lost my hard drive and had to buy a new PC. Windows 10 is not compatible with ETKA .
I have a 2nd hard drive installed I just need to learn how to configure a hard drive as a Virtual drive. Then load an earlier version of Windows and ETKA on that drive. Wish I paid attention in college..

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Is there a list of the o-ring sizes out there? say for the radiator and heater quick disconnects?
cheers,
Douglas

phaser

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD - 490k
At the moment my ETKA is down. I lost my hard drive and had to buy a new PC. Windows 10 is not compatible with ETKA .
I have a 2nd hard drive installed I just need to learn how to configure a hard drive as a Virtual drive. Then load an earlier version of Windows and ETKA on that drive. Wish I paid attention in college..

PM sent.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I was looking at the links above with Windy 10 using Edge no problem.
There is Explorer in it as well. (long shot)
Click on the start button (lower left) and start typing expl and you should see it pop up.

anahata

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GOLF GLS, 4dr, silver, 5sp,
Thread bump. Like Forrest Gump, if you sit on a park bench things come around, or do they? I've got a 2001 unicorn... a 135k AZ car I want to KEEP. The only mods are in my signature. It has apparently become as ancient as I have. besides the TB coming due next year - or the following, I'm wondering what items to focus on in my preparation to drive it through another 6 years. The cooling system leaps to mind. The hoses still look OK, but I'm old enough to remember when hoses this age were a NO NO! I guess there are no full kits for these cars anymore. Who will have these hoses? Should I be thinking to replace the radiator too?

oilhammer

TDI
The cooling hoses VAG uses are typically fine indefinitely so long as they do not become contaminated with any oil or fuel.

See post #11... I still have that same 383k mile Golf. Only it now has 600k miles. The same coolant hoses that were on it then in 2009 are still on it now.

anahata

Veteran Member
TDI
The cooling hoses VAG uses are typically fine indefinitely so long as they do not become contaminated with any oil or fuel.

See post #11... I still have that same 383k mile Golf. Only it now has 600k miles. The same coolant hoses that were on it then in 2009 are still on it now.
Thx for that. 600k is really something. Perchance, do you recommend replacing a 21-year-old radiator on principal, or is it more a mileage/hot-cold cycle issue? If I were near SL, you'd be my mechanic. I've read you on here for years. Sorry to pester.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I'd inspect it. Look for leaks around the edges of the tanks. You have to take the bumper off to do this.

Good time to clean between the rad and condenser, too.

-J

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
I would also recommend if you change the radiator to just go ahead and change AC condenser while you're at it, they are fastened together.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Why break into the system if you don’t have too…..it’s 4 screws and it’s separated from the radiator.
Unless you have issues with the AC system leave it alone.

I just changed the rad in my 2000 NB has 320,xxx miles on it. Daughters 2003 NB went out at 280,xxx my other car is a 2001 golf and that radiator went out around 380,xxx miles….cars now at 447,xxx miles.
The other two in the family are original, a 2001 NB at around 270,xxx miles and my sons 2000 golf that has 400,xxx miles on it.

anahata

Veteran Member
TDI
Why break into the system if you don’t have too…..it’s 4 screws and it’s separated from the radiator.
Unless you have issues with the AC system leave it alone.

I just changed the rad in my 2000 NB has 320,xxx miles on it. Daughters 2003 NB went out at 280,xxx my other car is a 2001 golf and that radiator went out around 380,xxx miles….cars now at 447,xxx miles.
The other two in the family are original, a 2001 NB at around 270,xxx miles and my sons 2000 golf that has 400,xxx miles on it.
Good to know! That's a lot of ALH TDIs there! Must be some kind of record. My mileage may vary of course. Did any of those failures cause significant damage, or did the cars give a warning in time?

Last edited: