Coolant heater not working

Diesel Fumes

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 alh tdi 5 speed
I can't tell from that pic. But the heater needs to be down low. Like as low as you can get it. The hose going from the heater to the block must be on an upwards slope otherwise it won't work. At least my zerostart works this way I assume yours is the same

Dr.him

TDI
2003 alh auto (not for long)
I can't tell from that pic. But the heater needs to be down low. Like as low as you can get it. The hose going from the heater to the block must be on an upwards slope otherwise it won't work. At least my zerostart works this way I assume yours is the same
It is low you see it connected to the temp sensor hose going to oil cooler
You also see that the hose is having a kind of slope

Diesel Fumes

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 alh tdi 5 speed
It is low you see it connected to the temp sensor hose going to oil cooler
You also see that the hose is having a kind of slope
I had to put mine damn near underneath the battery tray for it to work. I had mine where I thought it was low, but only the heater itself would get hot. It wouldn't circulate the coolant. Someone else will chime in but it might need to be even lower. Where you have yours doesn't really look like the right place but it's hard for me to tell since I'm not looking at where mine is installed at the moment

Does the unit itself get hot? If it's working properly I think it should get hot within a couple mins of plugging it in even if it isn't installed low enough.

I know with mine when it was installed too high I could simply force the heater a bit lower down with my hand and then I would hear it kick in. I think it works kinda like a pump that needs to be primed. But maybe this is no help at all. Just going off my experience

Dr.him

TDI
I had to put mine damn near underneath the battery tray for it to work. I had mine where I thought it was low, but only the heater itself would get hot. It wouldn't circulate the coolant. Someone else will chime in but it might need to be even lower. Where you have yours doesn't really look like the right place but it's hard for me to tell since I'm not looking at where mine is installed at the moment

Does the unit itself get hot? If it's working properly I think it should get hot within a couple mins of plugging it in even if it isn't installed low enough.

I know with mine when it was installed too high I could simply force the heater a bit lower down with my hand and then I would hear it kick in. I think it works kinda like a pump that needs to be primed. But maybe this is no help at all. Just going off my experience
The heater is hot however I hear nothing

Diesel Fumes

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 alh tdi 5 speed
The heater is hot however I hear nothing
I'd see if you can manipulate the hose somewhat to ensure a more upwards path to the block. I think if it slopes down at all (anywhere along the hose to the block), it won't circulate. Otherwise it looks like you have it installed correctly.

Even if you just move the hose slightly, that should be enough to hear it start working. It's pretty quiet but if you listen carefully you will hear a little pump circulating

Dr.him

TDI
I'd see if you can manipulate the hose somewhat to ensure a more upwards path to the block. I think if it slopes down at all (anywhere along the hose to the block), it won't circulate. Otherwise it looks like you have it installed correctly.

Even if you just move the hose slightly, that should be enough to hear it start working. It's pretty quiet but if you listen carefully you will hear a little pump circulating
i heard i should not plug it by the thermostat hose because it might be closed

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
These heaters rely on thermosyphoning to circulate coolant (there is no pump) so the outlet needs to be close to the lowest point in the cooling system for them to work well.

That model does not look suitable for an ALH to me because of the vertical orientation of the outlet. You want a horizontal outlet so the tank is as close to the belly pan as possible.

As a point of reference, when you install an ALH Zerostart kit using the supplied bracket, the tank inlet is about 4" below the battery tray and the outlet just over 8" below. The outlet is about 1/2" below the oil cooĺer connection.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Yup, can't be run in the thermostat line (where most North American coolant heaters are installed) because the t-stat would block the circulation into the block and you'd just be warming the rad. :)

Instead, it's plumbed into the oil cooler circuit between the head coolant manifold, and should hanging so that it is the lowest point in that circuit.. 1/2" below, for example, as posted above. Under the battery tray is the usual place, partly cause there's room, partly because the tray makes a good mount for a hanging bracket.

Dr.him

TDI
Yup, can't be run in the thermostat line (where most North American coolant heaters are installed) because the t-stat would block the circulation into the block and you'd just be warming the rad. :)

Instead, it's plumbed into the oil cooler circuit between the head coolant manifold, and should hanging so that it is the lowest point in that circuit.. 1/2" below, for example, as posted above. Under the battery tray is the usual place, partly cause there's room, partly because the tray makes a good mount for a hanging bracket.
So where should it be plugged? because now it plugged to the oil cooler like you said and the thermostat is there any other hose??

Dr.him

TDI
every place in internet show to be plugged same place i plugged mine

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
every place in internet show to be plugged same place i plugged mine
It's hard to be sure from the pictures, but I think you have it plumbed correctly.

The problem is it's not at the lowest point in the system so coolant is not thermosyphoning. You might be able to get that model to work in your car if you mount it horizontally so that the inlet points up and the outlet is slightly lower than the connection to the oil cooler

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Some of these have check valves that can be removed.
Hot liquids and gases rise creating a thermo syphon.

What I see is the line from the oil cooler going into the top and the bottom going to where the feed line to the oil cooler comes from. Try reversing the flow so it comes into the bottom and out the top. Otherwise you'd have to lower the heater to create a greater difference for flow to occur.

Dr.him

TDI
the down hose goes like that way to the cooler the blockheater hide the oil filter place

Dr.him

TDI
It's hard to be sure from the pictures, but I think you have it plumbed correctly.

The problem is it's not at the lowest point in the system so coolant is not thermosyphoning. You might be able to get that model to work in your car if you mount it horizontally so that the inlet points up and the outlet is slightly lower than the connection to the oil cooler
if i put it in other side top down might work

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Yeah……you sure that it’s not installed upside down? The output should be on top ……not the bottom , with the feed going into the side which would make it the low point.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
the down hose goes like that way to the cooler the blockheater hide the oil filter place

The clamp circled in red needs to be *below* the oil cooler for convection to work. Can't tell for sure in the pic, but if it's level with the starter I'm not sure it's below the oil cooler. In this picture it looks like it's in line with the bottom of the oil filter housing.

In case there's confusion, the oil cooler is the square aluminum block below the black oil filter housing that the coolant hoses run into. Gotta be below that point.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Vince look at the first post with what he bought , expand the picture , it show coolant flow leaving the bottom of the heater and not the side. I believe it’s installed upside down.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Vince look at the first post with what he bought , expand the picture , it show coolant flow leaving the bottom of the heater and not the side. I believe it’s installed upside down.
I concur. The expanded picture shows the inlet on the side, and that would need to be below the oil cooĺer. Power cord is at the bottom of the unit.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yup, could be, not sure I understand how the coolant's flowing out of that particular heater.

It may be upside down, but as far as I can tell it also needs to be lower, with the inlet the lowest point: BELOW the square oil coolant exchanger.

Dr.him

TDI
thanks but now the only confusion remaining is it not connected to the right place ( at the thermostat line where the sensor is) because some say it cannnot flow there because it may be blocked by the thermostat? idk

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Too bad you didn't do some research before buying this unit. Terry at Frost Heater has it all figured out and supplies units with mounting brackets and preformed hoses to put the heater in the right place for proper thermosiphoning...

Dr.him

TDI
i modified it, it was also upside down and i move it down like everyone told me to do now i heard a syphon noise and its currently -13 and my car is 90 degree under 30 mins plugged thanks for help :)

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Nice ! Glad we were able to help , enjoy the warm car !

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
thanks but now the only confusion remaining is it not connected to the right place ( at the thermostat line where the sensor is) because some say it cannnot flow there because it may be blocked by the thermostat? idk
The t-stat is against the engine block at the top of the upper rad hose... big hose about twice the size of the hoses you're plumbed into,

Not a factor here. :)

Diesel Fumes

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 alh tdi 5 speed
i modified it, it was also upside down and i move it down like everyone told me to do now i heard a syphon noise and its currently -13 and my car is 90 degree under 30 mins plugged thanks for help :)
Its a great feeling when these work as they should. Glad you figured it out

tobsav

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
have one in my 2003 tdi jetta wagon,,,, love the thing... getting another, What diameter are the fittings for in and out.... I can't remember.
Thanks !