Coolant Glow Plug Harness issue

mag2

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS 5spd
On my 2000 jetta tdi, one of my coolant glow plug connectors burned up today. Not sure what happened, but after stating the car and driving a 1/2 mile, at a light i noticed smoke from under the hood. pulled over, poped hood, and no more smoke. smelled like electrical smoke though. looked at all wires and the rear coolant plug connector is fried. I pulled it up out of the way and drove home. Has anybody tried to change this part of the harness? not sure if it is doable. car has 278K on it. 5spd. Thanks for any input/help/ know where I can get a new part of the harness.

Dieselducky

Veteran Member
TDI
88 Jetta Diesel - 2000 Jetta TDI - 04 BMW M3 - 06 Kia Rio - F350 Superduty - 87 Buick GNX - Mobile Cranes
You can get a used connector from a scrap yard or order a new pig tail connector from the dealer, and solder it in if you are handy with a soldering gun ...or use the bell shaped crimp connectors... You should also try and figure out why it burnt up in the first place. If there is a problem it will only happen again.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Couple of threads on this recently... probably 'cause with winter here they are starting to see some use.

IIRC one of them had some part numbers for the harness etc.

Shawnz

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta GLS TDI, ex-O1M
I would just replace the harness. It's not crazy expensive and it's easy to do.

<bad link removed> - the good news is the right part is cheaper!

Last edited:

lowflyer

Veteran Member
TDI
new beetle
You can get a used connector from a scrap yard or order a new pig tail connector from the dealer, and solder it in if you are handy with a soldering gun ...or use the bell shaped crimp connectors... You should also try and figure out why it burnt up in the first place. If there is a problem it will only happen again.
what are "bell shaped crimp connectors" I`ve used barrel crimp connectors,just curious if there`s something new

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Mag, I think he cut threads on the top terminal of each GP so he can fit a hex nut to hold the wire with ring terminal in place.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Replace the coolant GP first. Either it is drawing too much current, or the connection was bad (hier resistance) causing it to overheat. Replacement of the plug is good insurance, unless you are dure it's resistance is the correct value.

--Nate