Converting a 1z to AFN in a VW T4

avcentraltias

TDI
1z Powered T4 Van
After barely two years "playing" with a few 1.9TDi's this is my first post, so firstly, and most importantly, Hello to everyone here, im James.

Last summer I bought a cheap, rotten B4 Passat Tdi. It hadnt run for 8 or so years but with just a fresh battery the old girl burst into life the day i went to pick her up! No sooner had I got the dependable old girl home, than I unceremoniously yanked the 1z out of the engine bay and set about converting it for use in my 1994 T4 Transporter Van, which has been a successful conversion for the last 5000 miles or so.

Since then however it sounds as if a valve is stuck open and the van is only running on three cylinders. So I've now got to take the cylinder head off. However, i happened to notice an AFN engined 1997 Audi A4 with its VFN turbo in a local scrapyard. After a brief consultation with another tdiclub forum member i happen to know personally, he persuaded me that I might as well get all the AFN stuff off the Audi and try to convert my 1z to AFN spec. We know it has been done before................:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=293320

..................although I am a little concerned the VFN wont fit between the bulkhead of the van but I guess there is only one way to find out.

Currently all the parts I have in hand are as follows:

AFN Cylinder Head,
PP764 Nozzles (already fitted to the injectors and in the head)
VNT turbo.
VNT Manifold.
VNT Oil feed pipe.
VNT Half oil drain pipe. (had to cut the pipe to remove it, so i only have the upper half)
VNT 3 bolt Turbo to Cat' Flange.
AFN ECU.
N75 .
MAF Sensor.
Injector Pump.
Vacuum Ball for Turbo.

So has anyone got any advice? Does anyone here know if ill get the VNT to fit in the T4? I hear Darkside developments do an oil return line for the VNT to a 1z block..... are there any other aftermarket parts I should know about?

Very much looking forward to hearing from you..........

Last edited:

avcentraltias

TDI
1z Powered T4 Van
Well that’s the kiss of death then, isn’t it?

Thanks for that though, first lesson on this learning curve I suppose.

What cars would I find to have a transverse mounted VNT turbo that l could use?

smoking

TDI
Golf II AFN + Golf IV ASZ
What turbo are you going to mount? Do you have a specific power goal?

avcentraltias

TDI
1z Powered T4 Van
No specific goal but I did wonder if 150bhp ish was possible without too much effort. It was more a case that the head has to come off and all this stuff is here so let see if I can make it work.

There are two turbos here that I can choose from. The VNT off the A4 or the little Garrett that was originally in the Passat...... although if there is a better alternative I dont mind keeping my eye out for something specific or going back to the scrap yards and seeing what is available...

Which direction would you be going in?

smoking

TDI
Golf II AFN + Golf IV ASZ
Get a GT1749VA from a transverse 1.9 PD130, they should be pretty cheap and make 170HP with supporting mods.

Last edited:

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
You might be able to use a AFN manifold from a sharan and be able to use the AFN turbo however there is custom work to be done...manifold wont line up with the exhaust and will need chopping off and welding in the right position. I have fitted a bv43a turbo to a audi a3 1.9 tdi before and it wasnt much of a problem....however i had to use the exhaust manifold, turbo and modify intake and exhaust to suit new location...Offer it up and see how it fits...

goose737700

TDI
2013 tdi golf DSG. 1995 EVC AHU Tdi, Dsla 1019 injectors, Vnt15.
About 3 years ago I put an AHU engine with a Vnt15 turbo off an ALH in my LWB T4 Winnebago. I used the stock oil return line from the ALH, no problems, and a new braided flex supply hose. It will fit for sure. I think I have a JB Ecu and getting a tune to run the VNT was no problem as it was already socketed. I have played around with different intercoolers and currently I have a top mount that i sourced from England last summer. I recently put a PD130 intake on from Darkside and I love it. Great power, reliable and decent fuel economy.

goose737700

TDI
2013 tdi golf DSG. 1995 EVC AHU Tdi, Dsla 1019 injectors, Vnt15.
"What cars would I find to have a transverse mounted VNT turbo that l could use?"

Any ALH powered Golf or Bora = VNT-15

avcentraltias

TDI
1z Powered T4 Van
Sounds promising, thanks.... still a lot of further reading required on my part though

One thing im really not sure about at the moment though is wiring loom. The ECU off the A4 physically fits the ECU socket that I now have on my van but are they the same? Taking the loom out of the A4 where it is at the moment will be a horrible job......

avcentraltias

TDI
1z Powered T4 Van
That’s a reasonable assumption to make, I just wondered if anyone knew of VAG moving pins around during production.

I think if there no reason that any of you experienced guys know why this won’t work I should just bolt it together and see what happens..... will be in touch shortly... ��

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
Plug the "new" ecu into the sockets and try and read fault codes, if you search immo swap or ecu matching should bring a ross tech procedure to match the ecu to the old clocks so it starts...i think yours its a immo2 dash so easy to overcome...If you can read fault codes then chances are the ecu's are compatible, it might even start the engine till immobilizer kicks in !