Convert To TT/R32 Front Suspension For Handeling

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Oh, and autozone rotors for the large ones are $51 each, pads are almost $90 for the pair of the best one...so may end up throwing on a slightly used set of 1.8T pads rotors and the shorter caliper brackets, but we will see how poor I want to feel when I get to that point.
Eh, never had any complaint with my itty bitty GL brakes. Huge oversized brakes are just extra unsprung weight if you don't actually utilize the extra capacity.

duwem

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI 5 Speed
Swap done, mechanic exhausted (me).

Decided to do the subframe bushings too, ended up breaking the dogbone mount and and one of the bolts that held it on in the subframe. And the bushings required a press to get in even though I fought for 2 hours to try to do them on the car.

Went with the big brakes, I will use them.

Alignment next then I can see how she does in the corners.

duwem

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI 5 Speed
Got the alignment done today but was raining so didn't get to push it on the drive home. Hopefully tomorrow. Definitely feels like it has more front grip again like before lowered so that's awesome.

Brake pedal seems to have more dead travel than before but might just be because I'm paying close attention. There was only one size of master cylinder on all the different golfs so I don't think its a sizing mismatch. But once you put some effort into the pedal she slows down a lot faster.

And the bigger brakes fill the 17's much better.

Stock TDI size

TT 180

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
If the calipers have a larger piston area to them then it would stand to reason that the pedal travel would go up.

Good job getting it together and driving.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Nicely done.

I am putting front and rear GLI brakes on mine soon.

D-cappz

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ALH, 6 speed, 4motion, fully loaded, leather heated interior, sunroof, steering wheel controls. Over 420,000km
Master upgrade

As far as I know you can upgrade the master to a T4 transport Master cylinder. This will help with the brake feel. Now I read the 2nd Gen LCAs with the larger cylinder bushing add to understeer.

"note that the Audi TT had two versions of the LCA, there was a recall to make the TT more stable and give it more understeer. The specific modifications consisted of new front lower control arms with larger, softer, offset front bushings, as well as modified front and rear shocks with stiffer compression and softer rebound dampening to reduce weight transfer from rear to front when braking. The front sway bar was increased in size from 19mm to 20 mm, while the rear was reduced 1mm in diameter from 15mm to 14mm. The result in handling was slower steering response, increased understeer, and reduced lift-off oversteer."

This is from the my turbo write up.