Convert Distributor pump 1.9L Golf TDI to PD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

waldo22

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf TDI, 1981 Caddy 1.6 IDI
Have a 2000 1.9L Golf TDI. Is it possible to convert to PD?

What would be involved?

Is the turbo the same?

ECU replacement?

What valves/pumps/etc. need to be replaced?

Thanks,

wes

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
Basically, no. Everything from the headgasket up has to change. Maybe the pistons too. Then the loom, ECU, and fuel sender, then you gotta work out what to do with the timing belt and the space where the original pump was...

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
DPM said:
...the space where the original pump was...
Clearly thats where the new supercharger would go.

Seriously... if one were to go through all the effort to convert their motor to a PD you would have to add a supercharger.

For the amount of work and money involved you would probabily be better importing a euro TDI engine.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Sure, you can convert it. "Radiator Cap Overhaul".

Step 1: Remove radiator cap, and hoist it 10 feet up in the air.

Step 2: Chuck away EVERYthing underneath and remotely near it that has anything to do with the original engine.

Step 3: Install EVERYthing new that has anything to do with being a P-D.

Step 4: Re-install the previously removed radiator cap, because that's pretty much the only thing that can be re-used.

The P-D and distributor-pump engines are essentially two completely different engines that happen to share certain general dimensions, but almost no parts.

cp

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI Beetle
I am curious: Why would you want to convert to PD? It's a technology that is about to be abandoned by VW.

06golf82rabbit

TDI
2006 Golf
No doubt, I'm looking for a way to unconvert my PD.
as much as I love Diesels I think buying this 06 Golf was a big mistake.

If it was paid off I would trade ya for the NON PD

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
" The VE in the name of the Bosch pump used in the VW diesels and many other small diesel engines stands for "Verteiler", which is German for distributor or divider."

--NAte

Ry-dog

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportswagen
I see I am not the only one that would like to "unconvert" my PD to the ALH type injection system.

After reading this post - I see that this is impossible.

Is is possible to find a non-PD engine and swap into a 2004 Golf TDI?

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
"Is is possible to find a non-PD engine and swap into a 2004 Golf TDI?"

I'd bet someone on this list with a pre-2004 would trade with you. Trade engines or vehicles. There is so much involved with actually swapping the engines between the chassis, its not worth it in my opinion.

--Nate

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
It is technically possible, with enough money, time, effort, and parts, to swap in and out of an A4-chassis car, any engine that originally came in any other A4-chassis car. All the parts required - and there could be a lot of them - will bolt directly in. But swapping out a P-D engine to install a distributor-pump engine - although possible - is like moving backwards. Why spend big money to go backwards to older technology?

Strictly speaking, this might not be legal. Due to emission certification I don't think you're supposed to put in an engine that's older than the model year of the chassis unless they have the same emission certification - which they don't, in this case. Possibly nobody would ever figure it out, but that's another story.

Status
Not open for further replies.