Conversion questions

EKStoy

TDI
none
I want to put a vw diesel motor into my 91 Toyota pickup. It's a 2wd it's bagged and will have a Lexus ls400 rear end. So my question is how close to the front crossmember with the oil pan be and what's a good gearing to have. From what I read the Lexus rear end I have has a final gear ratio of 3.27:1. The truck is complete street truck. And what's a good motor for this truck I was reading tht the ALH is a good one. I'm completely new to this so any help is appreciated

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
There are several good Threads with conversions for the Toyota pickup......... go in and read, look at the photos, etc.

EKStoy

TDI
none
Those were mostly 4x4s though that's why I was asking in a new thread. But maybe I'll have to dig through some more pages

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (R.I.P.), 1.6TD Toyota pickup, 2011 BMW 335d, 1996 Passat TDI
the steering linkage is the biggest problem, crossmember can be modified. I used a 1.6TD in my 2wd, but the AHU has the same steel oil pan that can be modified. I'd post a pic of the clearance but it wont let me.

EKStoy

TDI
none
Will your truck get on it for like freeway entry an thiings like tht. My yota also an ex cab. Will the 1.6 be enough

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (R.I.P.), 1.6TD Toyota pickup, 2011 BMW 335d, 1996 Passat TDI
Haven't driven it much but power is ok, the TDI would be way better. If I didn't have the 1.6 laying around I would have gone with a ford 5.0

EKStoy

TDI
none
I go to alot of shows an mostly goin for the wow *** factor an I like diesels so I thought it would be sik. Plus the yota diesels are alot and parts are hard to find. I'm thinking of doing the ALH seems like alot of yotas use tht motor from what I've seen on here. What kinda fuel mileage do u get?

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
I like the idea of a 2wd Truck swap. I drove a 1997 tacoma from new til 2009 and racked up 330k miles and would have kept it and swapped in a TDI if it had been a four door.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
as rockwell above stated the biggest issue on a 2wd will be the steering and crossmember clearance...the crossmember can probably be notched but the pan will have to be notched for the steering...unless of course you go with a tacoma as they have rack and pinion that fits farther back....power in a 2wd will be more than adequate and may even feel faster than the stock gasser engine due to the torque and HP being much more available at a lower RPM...at least in my truck it seems way more torquey than the stock 3RZ....

EKStoy

TDI
none
I don't have a problem with notching anything. Here's a pic of my truck tht I wanna do the swap in plus it'll be going lower here soon. I just want the power to be the same or more from the 22re. Like I said it's a street truck most hills it sees is an overpass