Continuing COVID changing your driving habits?

Status
Not open for further replies.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Might be about time to kill this thread. Before Palantir sifts through the ether and decides we're a terrorist organization. :)

taleAwaggin

Veteran Member
TDI
rollin in my two point oh, panoramic back so my hair can blow
Both of the duopoly of parties are nothing but war mongers.. I think you are wrong about American mentality being wanting to "help" everybody everywhere and care about the world. That is the American government not the American people.

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
'91 Jetta, '91 GTI, '04 Touareg
Where was I? Safe at home.

I am against any military occupation in any part of the world besides the USA and our allies, and I wish we'd just use our far superior technology to monitor things from space, and when something looks threatening, deal with it from afar. We don't need to be nation building in a world where the people don't even comprehend the meaning of a nation.
Listen. The middle east had a proper government in the 14th century with astronomers and traders alike.... waaaay before there ever was a United States. You want to talk about space travel, then know that in our time as the current inhabitants of Earth, astronomy started with Muslims right there in the middle east. You are reading all the wrong books, my friend.

And if you are truly against US military occupation in the middle east, you should be agreeing with everything I mentioned thus far, not contradicting yourself. I am done here.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You are done here? Great!

I know history, thanks. I also know that the current parts of the world where X religion people want to kill Y religion people, even if it means strapping a BOMB to themselves to do so, makes as much sense to me as a bunch of Star Wars fans going and murdering a bunch of Star Trek fans. You are all human beings, stop hating each other over fairy tales and "gods" that do not exist.

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
Lol changed my mind.... Let's stop fighting over our gods and go back to fighting wars based on the colors of our skin 🤣

taleAwaggin

Veteran Member
TDI
You can keep safe here and uncaring of what happens around the globe, which is actually a very un-american mentality. Quite selfish one imho.
Peeps think the intent behind policy matters when in reality its the result of policy that matters. Intending to help everybody in the world doesn't mean going there is actually going to help.

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
2022 Polestar 2 BEV - Current, 2021 Q5 55e PHEV - Retired, 2015 Q5 3.0 TDI - Retired, 2013 Golf TDI - Retired
Agreed. My MIL is a first generation immigrant from Uruguay... and she said it to me best "What is with Americans thinking that they need to 'fix' the rest of the world? You do realize people can fix their own problems, and maybe they didn't think there was anything wrong in the first place. Maybe you should 'fix' this country first.".... I was born and raised here and I believe that never have been truer words spoken.

I mean sure WW1, WW2, yeah we need to be involved there. But vietnam, korea, iraq, afghan, etc....etc....etc....etc... ??? No. Not even a little bit. How about we focus on fixing our infrastructure which is shot, education, healthcare, etc.... maybe then we won't need to spend as much on the military as the next 7 countries combined... maybe if we only spent as much as the next 3 we could invest inward, and grow our economy and jobs markets domestically.... just saying there are solutions out there to problems that we can just adjust our budget and be good to go...

Anyways I am not here to insult others on there beliefs and what not, and no one else should either.

But as far as the earlier comment on life long politicians being the problem 100% agree. Term Limits -- 12 years in either the hour or the senate, and then see ya. If you want to be a life long politician easy start at 24 --- Start in local gov, stay there and get experience of 10 years, move up to stay 10 years now your 45, move up to sentate or house, 57, move to the other if you can get elected 69, either become the president or retire. It doesn't eliminate lifelong politicians with those term limits but it does give you options. Or start at 25 go right into one and then the other, your 47, aim for president, AG, etc... or move down to the state level, or retire early and do something else. Or alternatively people can only serve 12 years total in either as a total. Every 12 years you have fresh faces. Lots of ways to solve the problem... but here is the deal Democrats and republics are basically private companies, they aren't going to endorse a new person over an old person in the role with name recognition unless you make them. President 8 years, congress - 12, SC - 24 yrs

Anyways off the soap box for now... hahaha

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf DSG, '13 JSW DSG surrendered to VW, '03 Golf 2 door manual
And while you're all "debating" politics we've still got this COVID virus burning through us that has killed more of us than all our foreign wars put together, and said virus will kill you without regard to your religion, nationality, color, or whether you're hoarding an A4 or showing off your new Tesla.

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
And even after covid stats prove just how lethal it is, there is a debacle over politicians fighting against mask mandates in schools.

taleAwaggin

Veteran Member
TDI
How is us stopping our little political debate here going to help the outcome for those fighting the virus.. These topics needs to be given some thought and discussed regardless of whether there is a virus or not. Its a copout to say oh VIRUS, everything non-virus does not matter.

akjdouglass

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/premium (sold to VW); 2014 Jetta Value Edition; 2015 Jetta SEL; 2003 Jetta GL
And while you're all "debating" politics we've still got this COVID virus burning through us that has killed more of us than all our foreign wars put together, and said virus will kill you without regard to your religion, nationality, color, or whether you're hoarding an A4 or showing off your new Tesla.
Terrifying! I'll hide in my basement for six months while running for president.

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
2022 Polestar 2 BEV - Current, 2021 Q5 55e PHEV - Retired, 2015 Q5 3.0 TDI - Retired, 2013 Golf TDI - Retired
Better make sure to mail out ballets to everyone including dead people!
Serious. Stop with that crap. So what they sent out ballots to people and low and behold OMG our government got something wrong... and mailed out hundreds of millions of ballots and some went to dead people... great and all the audits have showed that the margin of error is so small to it made no difference in a really tight election. Dude lost. Don't see any other presidential candidates in the last 50 years atleast screaming about this stuff either. Because it largely doesn't matter, there are always clerical errors but not some stupid conspiracy... get someone who doesn't have the lowest popularity in the last 50 years and they'll win no matter what letter is next to their name.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Remember what I said about copy pasted, unoriginal, or partisan posts? Yeah. Boring. I'm going to shut it down on the next regurgitated talk show bullcrap. Original means just that. Move on to another topic.

Amsoil~! Debate....

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
Back to the original topic:

My wife and I personally loved the middle of the pandemic driving. We're those weirdos who more often than I'd like to admit will just roll out on a random drive to nowhere. It was really nice when like 1/4 or less of the normal people were on the roads. Here in New England traffic can be super nuts at time since we have less some population density and roads are a mystery in how they are designed from time to time. I also find it funny how for a good many years I was the fast driver on the road doing like 75-80 where most people were 75ish or slower for sure... but since the pandemic started and still continuing I'm the ... slow driver at those speeds and I am not driving any different than I always have. I also pretty much never see anyone stopped on the highway anymore... interesting times indeed...

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I guess the empty roads were the silver lining. Although there's basically zero traffic in my area in normal times, so I didn't benefit all that much. Pretty much all of the cannonball run type race records got demolished. And will probably not get broken again easily.

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
My MIL is a first generation immigrant from Uruguay... and she said it to me best "What is with Americans thinking that they need to 'fix' the rest of the world? You do realize people can fix their own problems, and maybe they didn't think there was anything wrong in the first place. Maybe you should 'fix' this country first.".... I was born and raised here and I believe that never have been truer words spoken.
What is it with immigrants moving here and thinking they need to tell us what to fix?

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
My wife and I personally loved the middle of the pandemic driving.
Oh God, was it great. Everyone was Charlton Heston in Omega Man. I keep hearing about how serious the new whatever-variant is, but traffic is Hell just like before. Between Variant X and $5 gas, we should be able to travel 50 freeway miles in under 2 hours, but here we are.

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
There's another silver lining-- I watched Suicide Squad at the movies. My choice of seating and enough bubble zone to go around for everyone. The movie itself was actually kind of funny and entertaining.

There's another movie I'd really like for you guys to watch in reference to our previous discussion. It is easily accessible on Netflix! Don't watch the trailer or read reviews, just have some faith 😬

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf DSG, '13 JSW DSG surrendered to VW, '03 Golf 2 door manual
Will our TDIs be victims of COVID? I'm hearing a lot of talk lately that many people have damaged lungs from COVID and can't tolerate particulate like they used too. The environmentalists are using this as an argument for tighter emissions standards and possible diesel bans.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Oh shoot no more campfires, smoking, pollen, or dust! 😖 (pulling hair out). Lets just kill the honey bees now lol.
In seriousness, i don't think so. There's so many "particles" out there i wouldn't even try to put the blame on a vehicle. If environmentalists want to go after cars they should consider natural particles as well like mentioned above.

Good thought tho! This is something i haven't heard talk of yet...

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
What is it with immigrants moving here and thinking they need to tell us what to fix?
... wow ... might I just say she came here in the 70s. She is a full citizen and has been for a very long time, has contributed to this country and has as much say as the rest of us. We are literally a country of immigrants. I think between this comment and some of the other vitriol on this particular thread... I'm just going to check out of this discussion... it appears that conversing with people whom assume many things are conspiracies and that the state of things isn't just as they are is not helpful to anyone... I've met many good people with great conversations, but some in this thread have me seriously shaking my head. *drops the mic*

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
I gobbled so much diesel smoke today, my head is still aching hours after working on the car. Still not giving up the diesel someone carry me to the nurse 🙃

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
... wow ... might I just say she came here in the 70s. She is a full citizen and has been for a very long time, has contributed to this country and has as much say as the rest of us. We are literally a country of immigrants. I think between this comment and some of the other vitriol on this particular thread... I'm just going to check out of this discussion... it appears that conversing with people whom assume many things are conspiracies and that the state of things isn't just as they are is not helpful to anyone... I've met many good people with great conversations, but some in this thread have me seriously shaking my head. *drops the mic*
Yeah, I'm out too. The devolution of this thread gives me a better appreciation of a dark comedy I saw the other night- 'The Hunt'.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
“Me Too” I’m out😂. Two things that I like about Fred’s , no adds and a lot of help for those folks who need help with their cars. Oilhammer, IBW and others freely give of their knowledge and ability, that makes for a great site where you can get help to keep your aging diesel going.

taleAwaggin

Veteran Member
TDI
Humans have only so much attention to pay out.. imo there are a lot important issues getting trampled by the onslaught of the covvage coverage. Mental health for sure..

Wuhan19 was never deadly to children. Maskmaskmask, distancing, and compulsive hand-washing is going to mentally handicap an entire generation.

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
Sorry to Bring this back up but I told you so that I told you all so, and so I told.. 😋

"Now, as President Joe Biden ends the war Bush started, the United States is locked in an uneasy partnership with that very enemy force, relying on the Taliban to help safeguard U.S. citizens and their Afghan allies as they race to evacuate the country.

It is an improbable battlefield relationship: Diplomats, spies and military officials for the United States are having cooperative discussions with their Taliban counterparts, as the group serves as America’s first line of defense at the airport in Kabul, the Afghan capital, screening passengers for documents and weapons."

That is from a New York Times article released today. The UK had enough time to pack all their booze to take back home, but you're telling me the US could not return all those weapons when Biden announced the evacuation 2 months ago?! That deal also included the release and safe transport of afghan snitches back to US custody; there was never a deal to evacuate the general afghan public.

For years now our Marines and Army men have been collateral damage for these corporations of capitalistic endeavours. I get that ignorance is bliss but we cannot be oblivious to our stance with the rest of the world and how we take advantage of Our Heroes.

Throughout this thread it felt as if I'm trying to explain why Santa Claus does not exist-- I am a NY'er and understand that the rest of the States dislikes us. Nonetheless, NY is part of a country which the entire world tends to gawk at. It's time we question our politicians and presidents and take charge of how they spend our ******* money!

Status
Not open for further replies.