Continental Pure Contacts vs Michelin Primacy MXM4

Dcwhybrew

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I would appreciate opinions from those who have owned these tires. Do/did you like them? Would you buy them again? What didn't you like about them?

I am buying new tires in the next two weeks. My favorite tire store carries these two tires for my car. I drive approximately 60-65k miles per year. So I like the tread wear ratings. I really like the Michelin Premier A/S, but they don't come in the 235/45-18s. I prefer Michelins. The Continental Pure Contacts are rated better than the Primacy, per Tire Rack.

Thoughts??

mishkaya

TDIClub Contributor
TDI
'06 Jetta 5MT, '10 JSW MT, '14 JSW 6MT
I have been using Michelin tires on my cars almost exclusively for over a decade now. However, the last two sets of Michelin Premiers have developed out of round issues after about 40k, so well before end of life. I had a similar issue with the MXM's on the '06 Jetta as well, although not as pronounced. Last year I switched to the Continental extreme contact DWS, so not quite what you are asking about, but I can say that I have been driving them for over 20k now, and thus far I have been happier with the handling and the road noise compared to the Michelin tires. Wear seems to be on par for 60 as far as I can tell. Considering the Continentals were essentially half price compared to the Michelin tires (at the time of purchase), I decided to give them a try, and would definitely recommend them to others.
Not quite a direct answer to your question, but I thought you might appreciate the input...

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
235/45--18s: I have 56k miles on 2 OEM Conti Pure Contacts, with about another 5k of tread life left. (The other 2 were replaced at about 27k miles, hit a curb, damaged 2 tires on the same side).

I'm going to continue with the Pure contacts, replacing 2 at a time, as I'm very pleased with the tires. FYI, about 60/40, city/highway.

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
I have the pure contacts on mine. I replaced the old pure contacts because the outer edges has large chucks come out of the tread. I don't know if I'd purchase them again. The only reason I did purchase them was because Sears.com had an amazing deal on them. I paid about $300 installed for all four plus received a bunch of points to use at Sears and Kmart.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
...but for sure they weren't 235/45-18s, were they?

I don't care for comparing tires of different sizes. There really are too many variables.

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
...but for sure they weren't 235/45-18s, were they?

I don't care for comparing tires of different sizes. There really are too many variables.
Yes, I have an SEL with the OEM wheels. The Sears website has some killer deals every once and a while. I just purchased a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7" for $130 with $122 back in points.

GetMore

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI, 2010 Jetta Sportwagen
I have not been thrilled with the Pure Contacts on my JSW. They are okay as far as traction goes. I have some strange wear on one of them (cupping) and I am not sure why.

My biggest complaint is the noise from them. They tend to "ring" when they hit something. Kind of like what a basketball does. They also make some noise on anything but a smooth road. I cannot describe that noise, it has been too long since I've driven the car with them in good shape.
It does not look like they will reach the rated mileage.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
I'm at 73k and my oem conti's are still at 20% tread! Id by them all over again except the front left tire squeaks, it honestly does- has a crunchy squeak on every revolution with windows down in parking lots. Other than that they still ride smooth and are wearing great!

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
I have about 70K miles on the MXM4's on my Passat, might have 5-10K before they hit the wear bars, but I have noticed a slight decrease in wet traction. I like how they transformed the car from the OEM Hancraps. The MXM's handle well, ride well, fairly quiet, do okay in the snow. If I was keeping the car, I would buy another set. I have the Continental Contacts on my Golf, like them as well, but I'm not sure what I will put back on the Golf when that time comes.

Last edited:

Dcwhybrew

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Your comments are very helpful. Thank you. I am leaning towards the Michelins even though the Pure Contacts are rated higher. I have had really good experience with Michelins.

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
After 25 years of driving my cars on MICHELINS I switched to CONTINENTAL. I like the CONTI's a lot more. The last set of Michelin's came apart on a trip (1 by 1) and I could not get another one here in West Canada. Not anymore in Production.... so - now we run CONTI's and I love it.

Yankinwaoz

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE
I put Michelin Primacy MXM4 from day 1. I'm now at 100K and on my second set. I've been very happy with them. Never any issues.

Now... that being said. I live in SoCal. And most of my driving is on dry conditions in Cal and AZ. These tires rarely see rain, and almost never snow. So take my experience with a grain of road salt.

Passatman

TDI
'12 Passat SE, 6M
I would appreciate opinions from those who have owned these tires. Do/did you like them? Would you buy them again? What didn't you like about them?

I am buying new tires in the next two weeks. My favorite tire store carries these two tires for my car. I drive approximately 60-65k miles per year. So I like the tread wear ratings. I really like the Michelin Premier A/S, but they don't come in the 235/45-18s. I prefer Michelins. The Continental Pure Contacts are rated better than the Primacy, per Tire Rack.

Thoughts??
i put a set of the pure contacts in 17" on my SE with 6 speed manual in December '15 and just love them. i live in Michigan and the traction was great. Overall the tire is better than the stock conti pros

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Yes, I am familiar with those. I would purchase them but my favorite tire store doesn't carry them. I may order them from tirerack.
Also look at discount tire direct. The couple of bucks you might save on Tire Racks list is almost always not as good because of the free shipping Discount tire always has.

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
I've owned both and I guess not as a discerning owner as some, but overall felt the Michelins were overpriced vs the Continentals. I didn't have an experience with them that warranted the extra cost

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
I've had Michelins for years in snow tires and all seasons, never had a bad set. I bought a set of Michelin Defenders, in a 225 50 18. They are not the stock size, but a bit taller and they correct my 7% speedo error I had the original tires. They are also rated for 145,000 KM's.

Dcwhybrew

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I've had Michelins for years in snow tires and all seasons, never had a bad set. I bought a set of Michelin Defenders, in a 225 50 18. They are not the stock size, but a bit taller and they correct my 7% speedo error I had the original tires. They are also rated for 145,000 KM's.
That is interesting. I didn't think about a taller size. I like the Defenders, especially given the amount of miles I drive.

Dcwhybrew

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Well, I had the Michelin Primacy MXM4s installed today. I thought about buying a cheap set of tires, but could not find any. I received an email from my local VW dealer regarding the recall, and signed up on the VW claims website. My buy back offer is $17k and the settlement to keep the car and fix it is $2,900. So, I am seriously considering giving the car back and buying a lesser expensive car (putting the rest in the bank). So back to the tires, I couldn't find any cheap 235/45-18s. In stock. I estimate I would have saved $350 or so on the set, but oh well. I like the new tires though!