Considering the Porsche Cayenne diesel

dunerking

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
With the wife's JSW included in the dieselgate,we've been looking for another vehicle for her. We were looking at the Q7 and Q5 TDI's but stumbled upon the Porsche Cayenne diesel. Does anyone have and info/input about the Porsche Cayenne diesel? We were going to look at a 2013 and wanted to be informed. I've already been looking for a forum like TDIclub so I can start to educate myself. Thanks in advance.

dunerking

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
Thanks Tomo and TDI! I thought I had read somewhere that the Porsche was using the VW 3.0. She likes the Q5 and Q7,I just don't think she needs the 3rd row seating. I'm going to try and look at the Cayenne this weekend. Thanks again

mjhandy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
I may look at the Cayenne when the Treg is ready to go. Would have to test drive first and see if its tuned differently.

dunerking

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
Can anyone explain why the Porsche diesel is to be serviced at 5k miles and the Audi Q5/7 is 10k miles. Is there a difference in the tune,like higher performance? I'm thinking 10k miles should be fine while running Mobil 1 ESP.

dunerking

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
I'm sure if I don't follow the maintenance schedule that could cause issues if I have a warranty issue. Seems odd that it would be different though.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It has 10 more hp and is tuned differently. It also has a more sporty shift map in the transmission, better brakes, stiffer suspension, etc. Just a more sporty model. Not sure it is worth whatever the extra coin would be to get one over the others, but the differences may be something you like.

I've driven one, they do feel different than the Volkswagen and Audi.

Keep in mind the tires, as those may be different (and much more expensive and shorter lived) than the others.

dunerking

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
Thanks guys..so far enjoying it. Just wanting to have my service program dialed in. I really like doing my own service,not sure if I'm going to invest into the oil extractor or stick with R/R the drain plug. What do u guys think?
Also will my VAGCOM from the wife's 12 JSW work with the Cayenne?

oilhammer

TDI
Thanks guys..so far enjoying it. Just wanting to have my service program dialed in. I really like doing my own service,not sure if I'm going to invest into the oil extractor or stick with R/R the drain plug. What do u guys think?
Also will my VAGCOM from the wife's 12 JSW work with the Cayenne?
No VCDS will not work. From ross-tech's website:

http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?423-Does-VCDS-Work-on-Porsche-Porsche-Cayenne

However, I have found that VCDS in OBD-II mode is the most reliable thing I have used to access Sprinter engine/trans management. Even better than the Autel scan tool we have, although VCDS won't get into the Instruments to reset PM stuff on them. You can try and see what modules it can communicate with on the Cayenne. You can't really hurt anything trying.

dunerking

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
Thanks oilhammer.

What do think is a better way of draining the oil,pulling the drain plug or using the extractor? I've read if u don't get the hose in correctly that u won't remove all the oil completely. But that is also what I read about pulling the drain plug as well.

dunerking

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
Btw sorry for using TDIclub for my Cayenne questions,I've yet to find a good forum for the Cayenne. Thanks for helping TDI club!

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I have two friends with Cayenne diesels - one with standard suspension, and one with air suspension and a plethora of amazing (and expensive) options. Cayennes are very nice, especially if you prefer something with a sportier feel. I've heard a Cayenne compared to a scalpel while a Touareg is like a sledgehammer.

dunerking

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
Our is the standard suspension which I'm very happy with. It has most options that we wanted except the cooled front seats and heated rear seats. But both of those weren't deal killers.

oilhammer

TDI
The T'reg/Cayenne/Q7 use an Aisin transmission.

It is similar to the ones used in Toyota trucks.

dunerking

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
Does anyone know if a VW dealership can do the proper oil service to our Cayenne? I typically do all of my own services but will be heading out of town for 3-4 months and during this time the Cayenne will need a oil change. Figured since we have the new replacement loyalty card my wife can use that to have the service done.

dunerking

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
Thanks,I was kind of thinking the same. But since the motor is a VW 3.0 diesel that maybe they could handle it.

dunerking

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
I'm hesitant to let a VW dealer touch a VW, let alone a Porsche. :eek:
I agree and feel the same about any dealership working on any of vehicles. This is why I do 90% of my maintenance on our vehicles. Just trying to find a option for my wife while I'm out of town for the next 3-4 months.

da.hs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf, DSG, silver (from new). 2010 Audi Q7 (from 2016), 2004 Touareg V10 (from 2018)
My local VW dealer (which I quite like) did an oil change on an Audi Q7 (I had a VW card to use up) and "winter check-up" - but they would not do an inspection service, do not have the Audi scanner tool to reset the counter, among other things. I would guess something similar would apply to the Cayenne.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
You needto know that as bad as the cost of VW service is ,Porsche is another step higher,Porsche buyers don't care about costs. A word to the wish is sufficient.

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
So you gurus think that I could replace the 18 inch wheels/tires on the cayenne with the 20 inch wheels/tires on the Q7?

da.hs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf, DSG, silver (from new). 2010 Audi Q7 (from 2016), 2004 Touareg V10 (from 2018)
I've been looking for used 18" rims for the Q7, for winter - they are usually shown as for Touareg/Q7/Cayenne - so I assume compatible. I've also seen one or two ads that imply the 2014+ Q7 uses different rims so some care needed before buying.