*considering* sale of '02 Jetta GLS - loaded

Lightman

Veteran Member
*considering* sale of \'02 Jetta GLS - loaded

Not sure yet, just considering selling it. I'm wanting something larger and 4wd for my active lifestyle. Hate to give up the mileage but need the room. Anyone near Florida interested?
2002 Jetta GLS TDI Galactic Blue(dark/midnight)
56K miles
5-speed manual
Factory Options- basically all of them..
Cold Weather Package(heated seats, mirrors etc)
Leather/Luxury package

Additions -
Oilguard Oil bypass filter
Stanadyne 2 Micron fuel filter
Dieselgeek Oil Cooler, Short Shift, and Race Pipe/EPS(optional/offroad use)
Wetterauer Chip
Ventectomy
Elephant Hose (have eclipse filter also)
Wet Okole neoprene seat covers(leather only sat on for 500 miles, is brand new underneath)

This car has been meticulously maintained, Delvac 1 since 5k, consistent biodiesel use and fuel additives, all records, and oil analysis reports from each change.

Not for sure on it's sale yet, just seeing if there's interest out there, and what people think its worth...?

Lightman

Veteran Member

Nobody interested? The car looks brand new inside and out, and is totally set up for the long haul. EGR/CCV taken care of for good, fumoto valve, perfectly maintained since day 1...

verdeo

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2003 Jetta TDI wagon,retired, 2005 Passat TDI wagon, 2012 Touareg TDI

Ltmn,

Are you considering selling outside of FL? What kind of price are you asking?

Also, does your great Jetta have ESP?
Thanks,

Lightman

Veteran Member

Hey there. Haven't decided on a price yet, but it's making me sick to have to sell my tdi, I love it. Plus it's totally set up with every mod you'll need for the long haul...grrr
I would consider selling it to anyone, doesn't have to be someone from Florida (preferably a tdiclub member who will care for it as I have. I'd love to see how far this car will go, having a bypass filter installed at 800 miles
).. Lastly on ESP, no, it wasn't an option on my 2002. I will say that I have driven it in Cleveland snow and as people will tell you, the front wheel drive does just fine, especially with snow tires!

Lightman

Veteran Member

Anyone is welcome to PM or email me if they would like some pics, I'll save fred the bandwidth...

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An '05 MBZ E-320 CDI (W-211) replaced the '10 TDI JSW

Getting a Dodge for your garage to use to pull the Benz around?

Only kidding don't you know.

Good luck.

Lightman

Veteran Member

Thanks D. As for pulling the benz around I dont think the cummins will have too much trouble
It might strain pulling my 291 lb jetski though, I might have to get a chip!!

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Are you getting a six speed?

No need for the next question, except to ask:

How much torque will you be modifying the Cummins to produce?

600, 700, 800, 900, more than 900 foot pounds?

Good thing your getting a standard trans. Talk about your clutch slipping!

Lightman

Veteran Member

Lol, actually I plan on giving the new 48RE auto transmission a shot. Seems to be pretty beefy. I just don't think I see the fun in shifting a huge diesel truck. If anyone thinks its that awesome, I guess I'll test drive one.

Most likely the 305hp and 555lbs torque will be enough for me
I'll try my best to leave it alone, and if anything, do longevity type mods like I've done on the TDI, like bypass filters, fuel filters, etc. Well maybe 50hp injectors

DeeBee

Veteran Member
TDI
Ex 99.5 Golf (Blue), Ex 96 Passats (Blue & Grey), Ex 97 Passat(Green)

Lightman,

Could you possibly be looking to be the first driving an '04 E270 CDI?

Lightman

Veteran Member

Not at all, I love my E300, and it only has 45k miles. I need a 4wd vehicle with more space than my Jetta, and will sorely miss my TDI I'm sure. Looking at Cummins Ram 2500's because v10 touaregs are awfully expensive, and the upcoming jeep liberty diesel will probably be too small.

Lightman

Veteran Member

Lightman,

By the way the new E class that's coming out is likely the E320CDI, for what it's worth..

highhilltdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Jetta GLS

Lol, actually I plan on giving the new 48RE auto transmission a shot. Seems to be pretty beefy. I just don't think I see the fun in shifting a huge diesel truck. If anyone thinks its that awesome, I guess I'll test drive one.
Driving around a six-speed cummins on a regular basis isn't all that fun. If you're not really working the truck, the automatic will probably be just fine for you. We're running an '03 six-speed and it really doesn't feel all that quick around town and such. The only way to really feel like you're rolling along is to start in 2nd, skip 3rd, and then putz around in 4th or 5th. But on backroads running 55mph, I've yet to need to downshift for a curve or hill. 6th will take you anywhere you need to go

Hook 16,000# on a regular basis, and the 6th speed really feels at home. Lots of gears to pick from and not as much worry about the tranny grenading. FWIW, we were running an '01 3/4 ton Cummins with the automatic up until we bought this bigger trailer. We had around 100k miles on the old 47RE with zero complaints. Never even changed the fluid because we were planning to upgrade the tranny once it grenaded. Never did though, but it shifted pretty crappy for towing. Damn thing loved to upshift right before a hill then lose speed before downshifting again
Hopefully the 48RE is a bit more intelligent, but I wasn't taking a chance this time. The only other repair our '01 needed was bearings and front pads at 80k miles. Dodge covered the bearings under warranty though. Not bad for a truck that pulled 9,000#-11,000# nearly constantly.

highhilltdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Jetta GLS

Actually, if I had a buyer for my '00 I would be very interested. I'm in Ohio and don't have the cold-weather package
I suppose a $100 TDI heater would be a more prudent upgrade then just buying a new car, but how un-american is that??

Lightman

Veteran Member

LOL
Right, and the tdiheater won't melt ice off your side windows or washer nozzles! Actually, I find the heated seats to be most useful for passengers. Many times I have girls with me in the car that are cold(why are they always cold!?
)..so I leave the temp the same, and they turn on their heated seats. Works great

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI

So that's the problem?

You only date frigid girls huh?
I thought all the girls in the tropics were hot blooded.

Is it possible to get heated seats in your new Cummins? Something to think about.

Seriously though, you might consider the Touareg TDI if you possibly can afford it.
I only wish that I could, but alas, I cannot because of my fixed retirement income.

Oh well . .

Lightman

Veteran Member

LOL! Amazingly they still get cold. Maybe it's my frigid Yankee side coming thru, and I just like it COLD!

Yes cummins with leather can have heated seats. I like the idea of the v10 touareg diesel, however I think it should be $35k instead of $55k. Its a Volkswagen
!!!!! Regardless, I like the idea of putting my ATV in the back of the cummins and not having to tote a trailer. Also I occasionally race jetskis(for fun these days, did it 5yrs competetively), and having a quad to drag the ski around the beach is a lifesaver, as they dont allow vehicles and doing it by hand will tire you and your buddies out before its even race time..however most do it that way...

I am still torn, dont really WANT to sell my tdi, would love to keep it, but can't afford space and financially , having three vehicles...

highhilltdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Jetta GLS

Girls?? What's that?
My wife used to be cold all the time, then she got pregnant and after having a kid she's warm all the time like me. So there's the answer!

Seat heaters are available in the Ram. After doing some extensive seat-time, I don't really think much of the Ram leather seats. Our '01 with cloth was fairly comfortable but didn't have enough leg room for me. Now the '03 has plenty of leg room but the seats are too short. If I wasn't towing all the time, I'd buy a GMC with the Duramax. Much more comfortable seats (for me) and the GM's drive/ride smoother. Steering in the '03 Rams is tops though.

Lightman

Veteran Member

ya the only problem with the Duramax is it's a GMC, lol. My tahoe was the biggest POS I've owned, and will never buy another GM if I can help it. The cummins is proven, and the rest of the truck, I think you're an equal gamble with any of the big 3...

highhilltdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Jetta GLS

ya the only problem with the Duramax is it's a GMC, lol. My tahoe was the biggest POS I've owned, and will never buy another GM if I can help it. The cummins is proven, and the rest of the truck, I think you're an equal gamble with any of the big 3...
That's probably true of the big 3 trucks. Our '02 Tahoe has been excellent so far. Even some of the imports are a gamble anymore. My last Camry was a POS and my sister-in-laws '02 Celica GTS is a lemon in my book. I just buy what I like anymore and take the risk on reliability. I still can't get excited about anything Ford though. The Superduties are about the only product they make I would even give a second look.

You still haven't given a price for your Jetta! For the right price I might find a buyer for mine

Lightman

Veteran Member

Well, its hard to decide on a price!
The values on the internet list between 14 and 17k. Most of the internet appraisers, like KBB, do not have check boxes for all of the options my car has, so it's hard to say it's accurate. I also have a lot of addons, and kbb seems to think cars only last 100k, and puts big deductions in for mileage. Anyway, the range on their values is around $14,200(edmunds/kbb) to $17,975(nada). I'm a reasonable guy with an exceptional TDI. All serious offers will be considered of course!

DeeBee

Veteran Member
TDI

Lightman said:
Lightman,

By the way the new E class that's coming out is likely the E320CDI, for what it's worth..
I'd like to think MB dealers are better informed than VW dealers. I spoke to one and he indicated that the engine of choice would indeed be the 5 cylinder E270 CDI

Lightman

Veteran Member

From the press releases that DC has put out, it sounds like the E320 CDI is what we'll get. Who knows, who cares, I dont like the new E class body. The front is sexy, but the rear end looks Chrysler-esque to me...

I should also add if I didnt, the car has a draw-tite receiver hitch, 1500lbs towing capacity.

luvdiesel

Please tell me the interior color send picture if you have it, asking price? and where in FL?

luvdiesel

Lightman

Veteran Member

LuvDiesel, I dont' have too many pics of it but here is one of it I took the day I got my atv. Again folks, 2002 GLS with lux pkg, cwp,etc. Tan leather interior covered up since new with BLACK wet okole seat covers. Luvdiesel, I've sent you a PM. If you want a few other various pics I have, please PM or email me with your email address.

DeeBee

Veteran Member
TDI

Good Luck with the Cummins!!

I miss my '95 very much. I really regret selling it