Considering Purchasing a 2013 Passat TDI

micahacobb

TDI
2014 JSW TDI, auto, 81k miles
Hey everyone,

Two years ago, I sold my 2014 JSW TDI in order to get my wife a new car. I've regretted it since then (not getting my wife a new car...I wish I would have sold her old one rather than sell my TDI). I'm in the market now for my own (used) car, and among the typical used Camrys, Sonatas, etc., I've found a local 2013 Passat TDI.

I haven't gone to test drive it yet. But I was wondering:

1. What do you think about it and the price?
  2. What would you warn me about? What should I check into?
Thanks in advance.

tungstenb7

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
i’ve got one and i love it. i also like that spec it is in very good cosmetic condition. i personally would take it to an independent shop first and have them look at it just to ensure you aren’t getting a bad car. also contact vw with the vin because they have recalls for the heater core and the dieselgate warranty for these cars is good for a little longer. however, maintenance is really pricey. i recently hit 100,000 miles and need the get the timing belt and water pump done. i got a quote from the dealer for almost $2,000 just for those two things, not including the long list of other stuff the recommend. however if you are willing to pay for the maintenance they are awesome and i usually average like 45 mpg

seahawkdodge

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
I'll sell you mine. TDI SE with 113k miles. Still has warranty until 126k. New head gasket, timing belt, turbo, water pump and DEF heater.

San Antonio TX area.

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL Premium
There are plenty of recent posts regarding common failures in our TDI Passat's at this age and mileage.

I would check for oil leaks, such as sweating or leaking valve cover gasket. You may see oil pooling in injector wells or oil stains on the exhaust manifold. Valve cover gasket is probably first to need attention.

Second, check the oil cooler. But in my experience, it is usually the coolant side that bursts and usually from perfect to leaking with little warning. Be prepared to deal with it when it springs a leak, coolant leak will be significant.

Third, despite being below 130k, you may consider timing belt replacement. I did mine at 120k, but some do it even earlier especially due to age. There, you will find camshaft or crankshaft seals, which may have started to sweat or leak. Those should be replaced with every TB change in my opinion, since you're already there. The coolant pump will also likely show signs of leaking as well. Look for pink stains and check the water pump for dark leaks from oil hole - could be a sign of bearing being compromised. There was also a mention of oil galley plug leaking in the same area.

Basically, a good pre-purchase inspection will be needed. You could inspect valve cover yourself with a flashlight and a step stool. Get the car on the lift, inspect oil cooler area and underside for leaks. The service center can easily remove the TB cover and harmonic balancer and inspect for any leaks around cam and crank pulleys. I could see the dark oily residue around the crank pulley and I knew that seal was leaking. Make sure it was well maintained, I did my own maintenance since "free maintenance" period, I documented in the maintenance book, including copies of receipts. If I were to sell mine, the buyer would receive my proof of maintenance for each 10k period. I don't plan on selling though.

Cars of this age, look for the following things going out - door latch actuators (sometimes they start making squeaky noises and sometimes they quit locking and unlocking), the AC expansion valve starts making weird sounds when it is time to replace (after about 15 mins driving, it sounds like a hiss behind the dash - AC works well, just the hissing can get annoying if you have good ears), many folks report Chinese AC blend actuators can get worn. I have SEL with automatic climate control, not sure if SE trim would be affected. Sometimes better to have manual controls than these that wear out so quickly.

Yes, your heater core will clog. Heater cores are sold for $15 each, they used to be close to $70 in the past. It is a very simple swap. I have done it and I have spare heater cores as my maintenance items.

Your coolant will degrade quickly, within a year it will change from pink to orange. Preventative coolant changes are a must. Or a tune for your vehicle to prevent cooking your coolant. Check for how long diesel gate warranty is active. If not long, tune is probably the first thing to do. Then do all these coolant flushes so hope the new fluid will last a lot longer.

Troubles with some having HPFP and turbo failures. I am prepared, but hopeful not to see either of two. Use trustworthy fuel stations for fuel to avoid contamination. Turbo failing will usually show symptoms before shaft snaps. I am at 130k on original turbo and HPFP.

Look, we have a strong BMW diesel community. If. You're looking for space, Passat is hard to beat. If you're looking for a diesel sedan, join us in 328d forums. Solid cars. I have a 2018 328d with 93k miles and 4 cyl N47 engine. And if you need something bigger, look at 2018 BMW 540d with modern B47 engine. Some of these are sold with very low mileage, though not many 5 series 2018 were sold compared to commmunity of us 3 series diesels. Turbos solid on ours, no issues. No issues with coolant degradation either. So heater cores are still original. BMW was already running updated HPFP, but some of us had 2 recalls - improved EGR cooler and more beefed up HPFP recall. Those can also be tuned very successfully and are a handful of years newer than a Passat. I think carfax gives my 328d a $19,000 history based private party value. But it has more safety features, such as blind spot monitoring and head up display is convenient. You have a responsive head unit than Passat. You can get a better trim with parking sensors, speed limit readers, automatic braking. Basically a more modern and feature rich car for a few grand more. And these are made in Germany with more than half German made components (vs. Mexico and China for Passat).

In short, do I love the Passat? I do. Will I make it run forever? I will try. Would I trade my 2018 328d for a Passat? I miss the space in the back and the trunk, but I would not. If I could go back to 2018, would I have done anything differently? Yes, I would have special ordered a 2018 540d, it would have given my family more room.

I am still hopeful diesels will return. For now, EV is the hype and the biggest lie of the environmental generation.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I like Passats a lot, but there are better options than the '12-'14 with the CKRA engine. They suffer from turbo failures, repeated heater core failures, melting oil cooler housings, and occasional cracked cylinder heads. These are in addition to the usual emissions controlled diesel issues like DPF failures.

The CJAA engines are pretty robust in the Jetta, Golf, and Beetle. If you really want a Passat I'd look for a '15 with the CVCA engine.

tristan81491

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Agreed on the above. I did not do any research before getting my Passat but I got lucky that I ended up with a 2015. I've read about far too many issues with the 12-14 models to recommend them.

I got my 2015 Passat in 2019 with 73K miles on it; currently it has 146K and in that time I've had an oil leak from the oil sensor and recently an issue with too many regenerations caused likely by a bad sensor or clogged hose (have not yet got around to getting it fixed). Other small issue was the head unit freezing up which was fixed with a firmware update. Car gets regular maintenance and a lot of highway driving.

If you don't mind traveling a few extra miles here's a 15 SE: (which has a backup camera unlike the 13 SE)

Auto Trader 15 Passat TDI SE

Last edited:

drew_t

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I haven't gone to test drive it yet. But I was wondering:

1. What do you think about it and the price?
  2. What would you warn me about? What should I check into?
If you put the VIN into the vwdiesellookup.com website, you’ll see that the Extended Emissions Warranty, which covers a lot of the engine, is close to expiring. In my opinion, without this warranty, these cars are not worth the kind of money the dealer is asking (even if that number is a fair market value). There are too many emissions-related problems that can arise (look up member oilhammer’s posts on this forum - he suggests that the significantly different version of the TDI that was only sold here for the 2015 model year cars is preferable to the previous few years). The expiring warranties, along with the persistently high cost of diesel would deter me from buying one of these cars.

I would want to see the Carfax report and whatever service records there are. The DSG transmission is suppose to have fluid and filter changes at 40,000 mile intervals. If there’s no documentation that these were done, I wouldn’t buy the car. I would want to know if the water pump and/or timing belt have ever been changed. If they haven’t, they will need to be soon.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
With the subject vehicle, there are some things you really can't check out readily - like how close is the oil filter housing to breaking/leaking, how soon will the turbo go, how frequently is it regenerating, (frequent regens are a bad sign) how long will the DPF or EGR system last, when will the "200 mile to no start" messages start to appear, etc. Run from this car. The '15s have their own issues too, including junk AC/heater components. About the only thing going for the '13 is really good fuel economy - but you have to ask "at what cost in terms of ownership?"

A while ago I sold my '05 Passat BHW sedan, which I got bored with as a daily driver. The build quality and reliability of that car was WAY better than the 2013. (I deleted the balance shaft, the only weak point in that engine). If you have $ 12-13K to spend on a used car and don't want a lot of future headaches, my suggestion is to look elsewhere than the '12-14 Passats and maybe the '15 Passat too.

6 years ago I bought a '05 Lexus Ls430 in like new condition for $ 10K (109,000 miles) and that car is light years better than either Passat, and gets up to 30 mpg on the highway. So it costs a little more in fuel - but not that much with gas considerably cheaper than diesel. But I have no worries about future repairs as it is easy to work on and there is a ton of support available. Everything works like it did on day 1 and NOTHING has gone wrong in the last 6 years and 30,000 miles. If I wanted to spend $ 10K on another car I would buy another LS430.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The big Lexus is a nice car for sure.

I'd steer clear of the CKRA Passat unless you can get one really cheap that is already broken and fix it up yourself (and be ready for it to break again).

So far the CVCA engine seems better, that is 2015 only.

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
Heater cores are easy, as if the manufacturer almost planned for them to become "maintenance replacement" item. Simple panel to remove at the driver well and it is right there. I got a Wera 6mm flexible shaft screwdriver that I can loosen those two pipes at the firewall under the bonnet, and then the heater core slides out without an issue.

Tom, that Lexus won't be broken in until it reached 100k miles. As little as you drive, I would not expect any problems until it turns 20 years old. I owned a 21 year old Maxima before Passat TDI, and it was solid all the way until I sold it. Small electrical things would go out, like speakers, but they were an easy fix for a college kid.

Now, I would still argue the Japanese cars are mostly for the folk that need a car to get from A to B. They will do that well, they will do that reliably. But they are BORING! I test drove a few CR-Vs and a few Toyotas as we were shopping for my wife's vehicle. Many times I would have gas pedal to the metal to accelerate on the highway ramp. I spun the front wheels twice on the Passat going from traffic light stop. They are FUN to drive and truly a driver's car. As I mentioned, I fix the cars myself, I really enjoy doing that on my own, so repairs and cost of ownership are not a big deal for me. My diesel Bimmer has bee trouble free for almost 100k miles. I am on my third set of tires (since I drive sporty) but I am still on my original brakes and with original coolant, and with original everything really. Much more solid car. On the other hand, Passat, required a handful of replacements and is on the third heater core. I am scared if HPFP or turbo fail, but I am ready to fix those. I got a spare turbo I got on sale and I probably need to get a spare HPFP before those suckers go on backorder. I feel with Passat, the future is uncertain, especially with all the supply issues. I still encourage you to go with German cars. But I would probably stay away from VWAG vehicles. Get a car made in Germany under German standards. We got a German car under Chinese standard, hence the junk that it turned out to be.... I still love her though....

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
I don't care where a car is made, nor do I care how easy the repair is. Needing to have a replacement heatercore, turbo, HPFP, intercooler, etc...anything that's prone to break on these Passats at the ready is asinine.

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
@JM Popaleetus "HOW DARE YOU" shun away from challenge to constantly repair our favorite VW Brand! :)

But in all seriousness, I agree. Wholeheartedly. I was actually really contemplating on buying VW Arteon as my next vehicle, but frankly after seeing all the crap I had to deal with on the Passat, and the abandonment many feel from the brand due to faulty Dieselgate fix and company stopping production of some replacement components, I think I am done with this brand, at least for the time being.

And of course, I care about the country of origin. After dealing with everything COVID-19 brought, I frankly don't want to purchase anything produced in countries that could be considered our adversaries. I don't want to make this political as I have no issue with Chinese folk, I have a major issues with their government/party and what they stand for. And all the junk that comes from there seems to be prone to breakage. I think many of the AC components that fail of 2015 MY Passats is from Chinese origin. I don't mind Taiwan, actually they make some of the better tools I own for my vehicles. I absolutely love the quality of American, German/EU, and Japanese tools, and I will pay triple for those. NMS Passat just went "cheap" route, giving American and Chinese markets a car with <100k reliability, the rest of the time we will keep our vehicles on a "ventilator" until we offload them. It was no wonder, the car that sells north of 45k (similarly priced to lower trim BMWs and Mercedes'es) in Europe was suddenly for sale under the same name in the US for 25k. Too bad we all fell for the lie. I wish we had a real B7 Passat. Arteon is probably the closes we will get to European Passat, and then I still have no trust in the manufacturer at this point.

oilhammer

TDI
The NMS is a decent enough car, but the only engine they ever got in them that seems to be pretty sturdy and drama-free is the 2.5L, but we only got those for 2.75 model years (2012, 13, and most of '14). That engine, bolted to the Aisin 6sp slushbox (manuals were available) is a good setup if you want a largish boring comfortable family sedan.

kbaisley

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
The NMS is a decent enough car, but the only engine they ever got in them that seems to be pretty sturdy and drama-free is the 2.5L, but we only got those for 2.75 model years (2012, 13, and most of '14). That engine, bolted to the Aisin 6sp slushbox (manuals were available) is a good setup if you want a largish boring comfortable family sedan.
Not to hijack you thread Michacobb, I have a 2012 Passat TDI with aprox 70K on the clock that I am looking to sell. I love the car, but my whole family fleet is VW diesel with the exception of a Mazda we just got for our son. We're down to 3 diesels and I am looking to sell off the 12 Passat and get potential another gasser passat. Trying to reduce risk and improve wallet due to fuel costs. Oilhammer, appreciate your efforts on this board and your comments are timely. I was looking for a solid drivetrain that wouldnt need constant maintenance (I know, it's a VW). I have read the 2.5 is fairly reliable, your thoughts on the 1.8 (2016) I have read the earlier ones had a fair amount of issues (oil burners), are the 2016 newer better or keep away? I watching to see if I can find a decent lower mileage 2.5L at the auctions, but everything I have seen in well north of 100K.

Thanks for your time and good luck on your search Michacobb

oilhammer

TDI
The EA888 engine family is a POS. In the NMS, that means all the gasoline turbo fours. You'd be better off with a 150k mile 2.5L than a 75k mile 1.8t.

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
I am glad I didn't act upon an urge to buy a 2023 VW Arteon. They run on EA888 gen 4 - I think it is some sports Golf engine. I heard they were all having issues in the past. I think if I switch to gasser, it will either be one of the more reliable BMW gasser engines like the one they used on Supra (B58) or I will join the rest of you old farts and switch to a Japanese car. I am getting old myself - arms and joints hurt to keep fixing these Germans. LOL. I envy those cars that can go 200k miles with complete owner neglect!

kbaisley

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
Many thanks - I have been a diehard VW enthusiast, but am struggling to get something that is reliable (VW level of reliable - not Japanese). Like my MK5's, just wanted something newer. Want to part ways with the NMS while the miles are low so someone else can enjoy it before major work is required, plus I am going broke from diesel costs. Same conundrum that a lot of VW owners go thru before the end up going to a Japanese or Korean badge vehicle. I'll never get rid of the MK5, too many damn spares collected over the years to part with them ;-)

Thanks again for your time and opinion.

kbaisley

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
I am glad I didn't act upon an urge to buy a 2023 VW Arteon. They run on EA888 gen 4 - I think it is some sports Golf engine. I heard they were all having issues in the past. I think if I switch to gasser, it will either be one of the more reliable BMW gasser engines like the one they used on Supra (B58) or I will join the rest of you old farts and switch to a Japanese car. I am getting old myself - arms and joints hurt to keep fixing these Germans. LOL. I envy those cars that can go 200k miles with complete owner neglect!
We damn near posted at the same time, this is where I am at too.. looking hard at the Japanese badged vehicles.

oilhammer

TDI
A lot of the newer Japanese and Korean badged cars have their share of issues, too. I think the push for turbocharging and direct injection has introduced a lot of fragility to these newer cars, and so many get cursed with a CVT now as well, which is also a giant liability. Nissan is by far the worst, but not alone in that regard. And even if they were reasonably durable, the driving experience is just abysmal. The CVT completely ruined the new Corolla and Civic. Having done one (one, singular) turbocharger on that 1.5L Honda engine, that's enough for me to never ever want one of those, and they are evidently pretty common to fail. Nightmare of a job. Absolute nightmare. I should have just dropped the engine/trans clean out the bottom and done it like that, because the mere 5.8hr labor wasn't worth the hassle. And this was on a car that was only two years old, so it wasn't like anything was rusted or stuck or even dirty.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
plus I am going broke from diesel costs.
Really? Even with the cost gap between gasoline and diesel, the cost per mile should be that much different when the fuel consumption of each car is taken into consideration.

When my kids were young and I was traveling all the time I drove a Camry for a few years. I needed an appliance, and it fit the bill. It was a V6, so it actually wasn't horrible to drive. But that was in the early 90s and I seriously doubt any Toyotas with that kind of durability are around any longer.

I actually like the new Civic, and it's not a small car. But if I bought one I'd get the normally aspirated Sport Hatchback with a manual.

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
Diesel here at Sam's was $4.16 yesterday (up from magical $3.99 a month ago). Gasoline, mind you 87 - is $3.20 or so. If you end up getting a "luxury" option, the premium 91 or 93 is $3.60-3.70. It hurts a lot less if you consider it that way. 😂 If I go Japanese or Korean, I'd like a Lexus or a Genesis. All run on premium except for one Lexus SUV that I know of. I can't stand SUVs.

Yeah, it hurts to pay $1 more per gallon than regular. But I calculate 44 to 46mpg for my mix of driving, so tank can last 650 miles. It hurts but not often between fills. Current gasser VWs are getting what, 28 to 31 combined?

oilhammer

TDI
I rented a 2.5L NMS Passat for a trip once, it was rated for 32 hwy, and I got 34. Since I can out think any automatic transmission, I did what I always do when I can: Tip it into 6th gear once up to speed on the highway. Otherwise, the transmission constantly thinks it needs to downshift to 5th. It doesn't. The engine easily pulled the car up hills just fine with the cruise set at 70 in 6th. I think... I know... that alone was why I got that slightly better fuel economy. 34 at 70 in a car that big is decent enough, but I would bet the TDIs would be getting 45 easily under the same conditions. And chances are, I probably would not have forced the DSG to stay in 6th on the highway. In was winter.

I've owned a lot of gasser dubs over the years. Currently only have one, and its a pig: a 2004 Passat wagon 1.8t automatic+4Motion. It requires premium, and it struggles to get to 25. More like 22-23 most of the time, and that would be mostly highway as we live in the sticks. Our diesel 2004 Passat, which is of course just FWD, can tag 40 on the same roads with the same drivers. Both have RC1, but the TDI will kick that 1.8t's ass on the highway, no comparison. But it is also geared much taller.

I had a 2005 NB 2.0L + manual for a while. It was good for about 27, driven the same as my TDI Golfs get 50.

The real bad ones were the G/J/NB 2.0L+ automatics.... holy heck, they can dip down into the TEENs in primarily city driving. They are embarrassingly bad.

I feel in the past,. VAG had no real drive to make fuel efficient gasoline fueled cars that were to American tastes. Because they had diesels (a select tiny few of which we got) and they had little gas engines (which, until the 1.4t, we didn't get). They also tended to gear a lot of these cars pretty low. That didn't help. The newer ones are not nearly as bad in that regard. My Uncle's 2014 Jetta S, with that same ol' 2.0L (with some minor updates) but bolted to the 6sp Aisin slushbox is not only better to drive around town, but on the highway the engine never feels like the gerbil is going to fly off its wheel. It spins slower than the ALH does with a manual at 80. I think he said he can get up to 35 on highway trips at modest speeds (his car has no cruise control).

My friend/customer is bringing his 2019 Tiguan in today (coolant leak, I'm betting the water pump housing blew.... surprise), I'll ask him what he's getting. His is a slushbox+4Mo, so as big of a pig as a Tiggy can be. It has the newer style 2.0L EA888 "Budack Cycle" engine, so it is supposed to be more efficient. Won't keep it from breaking, of course, and I will have to tease him about selling his still perfectly good 1/4 million mile BEW Jetta wagon, but the Tiggy does have a lot of new fancy features... like sensors in the mirrors, that help justify the $1000 price tag when his wife ripped one off. Ironic, since the sensors are supposed to alert you to objects that might be close enough to, you know, rip the mirror off the side of the car. :D

kbaisley

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
A lot of the newer Japanese and Korean badged cars have their share of issues, too. I think the push for turbocharging and direct injection has introduced a lot of fragility to these newer cars, and so many get cursed with a CVT now as well, which is also a giant liability. Nissan is by far the worst, but not alone in that regard. And even if they were reasonably durable, the driving experience is just abysmal. The CVT completely ruined the new Corolla and Civic. Having done one (one, singular) turbocharger on that 1.5L Honda engine, that's enough for me to never ever want one of those, and they are evidently pretty common to fail. Nightmare of a job. Absolute nightmare. I should have just dropped the engine/trans clean out the bottom and done it like that, because the mere 5.8hr labor wasn't worth the hassle. And this was on a car that was only two years old, so it wasn't like anything was rusted or stuck or even dirty.
Ack - Yeah, I agree on some of those issues that you pointed out. I would never buy a CVT. Had a Saturn with one and it was a total POS. How are the CVCA engines in the 2015 or newer Passat TDI's? Such a love hate with VW/ Audi products.

P.S. Just read your earlier comment on the CVCA seeming to be a bit more reliable. Trying to find something to replace my wife's 2012 80K Passat TDI. Getting nervous for her driving Long distances (multi state) support and reliability wise.

Last edited:

kbaisley

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
Really? Even with the cost gap between gasoline and diesel, the cost per mile should be that much different when the fuel consumption of each car is taken into consideration.
Understand - it's around 1.50 or so difference. I am getting mid to high 30's MPG (Best I have done on open flat highway is 39 MPG) My Mazda gets 32 to 30 MPG. Mind you, more spacious in the Passat. Trust me, I am considering a 2015 CVCA, I just need to bone up on how good VW is honoring the warranty. I am past my prime for wrenching, factors big in the consideration as well.

kbaisley

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
Don't buy one of these cars if you are depending on that warranty. That's really unwise.
Thanks- I was trying to read up on how member's interactions were with that plus knowing that VW tendency to not want to spend anymore money on this problem;-) I guess I will experience their behavior soon my 2012 NMS TDI kicked off the following:
9688 - Reductant Tank Temperature Sensor
P205B 00 [232] - Implausible Signal

7926 - Cylinder 2 Glow Plug
P06C6 00 [096] - Incorrect Installation

Seems to be a common error on the first one. Really appreciate the reply Oilhammer. You've been a big contributor since I joined this forum so many years and VW's ago. Thanks Again.

oilhammer

TDI
The issues with the warranty:

A: not much left anymore, regardless of which model/year

B: as you already mentioned, VoA doesn't like to honor their agreement

C: cars are MUCH more likely to have warrantable things break, which I think came as a surprise to them

D: parts availability is spotty, some people wait for a year or more, one guy piled up over $9k on rental cars while he waited

E: warranty or not, the car is still the same car