Considering Continental True Contact tire -- any experience?

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Our '13 Passat was delivered with the Conti Pro Contact. We liked them well enough that when our '04 SAAB came up for new tires, we bought the True Contact. We've only had them on there for 3-4K, but so far, they're very nice.

Palouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE/sunroof, DSG
I replaced the OEM Hankooks last summer with a set of these. Fabulous tires. My wife noticed the difference right away--something she's never done. On a long road trip through the west, mountain west and mid west last summer we drove through enough mountain rain to drown a whale and the '12 TDI tracked straight and true, with no hydroplaning. 80 MPH curves in Montana and Utah were very secure and predictable. Light snow and early frost last fall--no problem. In fact the wife left today for Minnesota with the Conti's rather than snows.
Quiet and very predictable. I love 'em.They are wearing very well too. :):):):)

tc1uscg

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD TO VW
Was thinking about new tires myself. My 2013 SEL came w/Continental ContiPro Contacts. Nice tires except SNOW, no matter the amount. So, I run the Michelin X-Ice XI3's during Nov thru March. Last swap out, tossed the Continentals. Looking at Discount Tire who has them for 158 each. But they do seem to have others that are rated just as good and cheaper. The Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus got almost a perfect 10. Little more costly but have a 70k mile rating (which to me, is about 40k). So, anyone got any suggestions for 234/45/18's? I did like how the Conti's felt but I rather go with a tire that won't wear out in 20k miles. Most driving is hwy.

Mark SF

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDi
Well, I went with Michelin Premier A/S on the Passat. I have about 20,000 miles on them now, and would say they are heading for a 40-50K lifetime. I'm a bit hard on tires too.

Unlike the original Hankooks, they have remained quiet during their life. The Horrible Hankooks just got louder, and louder, and.....

They are smooth, quiet, have a nice ride, and plenty of grip. Lots of grip in the wet. They almost have the same grip, wet vs. dry. Lets just say when they are worn out, I'll go straight out and buy another set.

I also bought Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus tires for the Jag XJR. Quite impressed too. Lots of wet grip and all round quite civilised.

Take a good look at the Tire Rack tests and choose the best option for your mix of driving.

Mark SF

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDi
At the end of the day, any decent set of new tires will be much better than any decent set of worn out ones. The Jag had 5-year-old Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires, a very good tire when new, debatably the best in its class. Compared to the new Pirellis, it was terrifying in the rain. The final straw was experiencing wheelspin at 50mph in the rain, in third gear, during the last major downpour. Also the tramlining was deadly, and the ride wasn't too hot. All gone away with the new Pirellis.

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
Go for the pure contacts if you decide on contis. Cost a little more but a great all season tire.

RoadRunnerTR21

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE w/sunroof
I got the pure contact last year and they are a good tire. No complaints. I can't speak for handling in snow because of where I live in Texas.

cfm56

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI SportWagen
went to Pirelli tires and are a lot happier vs continental. Plus, our tires wore out a lot sooner then the actually warranty and continental did not want to honor the warranty due to the tires being installed on a new car at the dealership. IMO this is a bunch of BS and we will never purchase a continental tire again.

jolvi1

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
Just put Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus on 2012 Passat, had original Hankook tires noisy and basically worn to where I was not comfortable on wet roads. Went to locally owned tire shop, not a chain store or even a person who deals in one brand but is authorized seller. Anyway he thinks the Pirelli and the VW were made for each other so much so that he put them on his mom and dads cars, go figure they both drive VW's so figure if they were good enough for his parents they were good enough for me. Yeah taking advice from someone at a tire shop that drives a Turbo Carrera makes sense right. Anyway have driven to Galveston and back annoying tire noise, mileage did improve not sure if tire related but they are low rolling resistance tires, and when driving in rain and a bit of snow from where we left from no problems. If it snows too much that is what the F150 4X4 is for.

USCGTO

TDI
Passat TDi 6M
I would like something less noisy too,

My OEM conti's lasted abt 50k

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
Just put Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus on 2012 Passat, had original Hankook tires noisy and basically worn to where I was not comfortable on wet roads. Went to locally owned tire shop, not a chain store or even a person who deals in one brand but is authorized seller. Anyway he thinks the Pirelli and the VW were made for each other so much so that he put them on his mom and dads cars, go figure they both drive VW's so figure if they were good enough for his parents they were good enough for me. Yeah taking advice from someone at a tire shop that drives a Turbo Carrera makes sense right. Anyway have driven to Galveston and back annoying tire noise, mileage did improve not sure if tire related but they are low rolling resistance tires, and when driving in rain and a bit of snow from where we left from no problems. If it snows too much that is what the F150 4X4 is for.
many of the newer VW's are also now getting the Cintuaro P7 All-Season as their factory tires as well.

dropnosky

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta 6 speed, 2012 Passat DSG
I have them on a 2000 jetta work car. Excellent tire, wear well and a nice feel. When its time for new tires on the passat i will be getting some for that car as well

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I couldn't justify the price for the 18's, went with Nokian nTyre 2.0, and love them, saved about 160 bucks too.

Quiet, LRR and tracks amazing, a great grand touring tire.

Herkguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 passat SE sun/nav
OP
I put a set of the True contacts on my daughters passat, very nice tire and they were very quiet. They were 15" rims. Excellent buy for the price.
On my wife's Jetta I used the Pure contact, they didn't make the true in her 16" size. Another nice tire with no issues.
For my 13 passat 18" I went with the Pirrelli P7 "plus", great tire. After 35k miles, still nice even ware 7/8/8/8 32nds across the tread so I expect them to make their mileage. They are still nice and quiet. I run them at 34 psi.

jolvi1

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
Just realized typed the original on smartphone. The noise from the Pirellis is pretty much gone away sorry for any confusion.

jolvi1

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
OP
I put a set of the True contacts on my daughters passat, very nice tire and they were very quiet. They were 15" rims. Excellent buy for the price.
On my wife's Jetta I used the Pure contact, they didn't make the true in her 16" size. Another nice tire with no issues.
For my 13 passat 18" I went with the Pirrelli P7 "plus", great tire. After 35k miles, still nice even ware 7/8/8/8 32nds across the tread so I expect them to make their mileage. They are still nice and quiet. I run them at 34 psi.
I agree they are quiet, on my original post from smartphone left out some words they are very quiet.

jolvi1

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
^^^"...annoying tire noise..." from the new Pirellis???
Duh no there is no noise from the Pirellis, I had typed that on a smartphone and as is the usual "fat finger" they are extremely quiet and the other day in a downpour son was driving and he was amazed how well they do in rain. Sorry about the confusion.