Considering a GSW 2015 TDI

Dill-Ag13

TDI
Manual V70R, 2014+ JSW/GSW hunting
Hi everyone, first post here. Long-time manual wagon fan, new to TDIs in general.

Considering selling my old 04 V70R and buying one of these newer 2015 manual GSWs. Eyeing the SE trim as a sweet spot. I’ve seen a few online at dealers that are CPO, this one is an example:
http://atcm.co/S2PVDP/256E433B

The price is of course insane but im curious what y’all think regarding a CPO warranty vs the standard dieselgate warranty, the reliability of these cars…

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
That is an insane price indeed!

I wouldn't bother with a CPO warranty, unless your dealer is a very good one. Lots of dealers are clueless, including the one closest to me, hence I wouldn't trust anything to them, not even an oil change....but then again, I do my own wrenching.

The sweet spot for me was a car with a recent phase 2 modification, so I could benefit of the rest of the dieselgate warranty if needed.

Dill-Ag13

TDI
Thanks, that sounds right, especially with a diesel. I can’t imagine a whole lot is covered under the CPO that isn’t covered under the emissions warranty, right? Looked extremely comprehensive.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
One of our MK7 GSWs was new (stop sale) and the other a CPO. For me, the CPO is not/was not a factor in purchase. The CPO has $50 per item deductible (follow ups are covered), and doesn't have much duration (if you are driving the TDI, rather than letting it sit). It does cover many non emissions warranty items (see the last link below), but from watching threads, these seem to be higher mileage issues, and so less likely to pop up in that first 24 months. Wear items obviously aren't covered, so unless you are unlucky enough to have an issue during the sweet spot of the CPO warranty, it doesn't help out. Of course, it also requires the dealer to work on your car, which may lead to numerous additional visits and problems. The emissions warranty is a different topic altogether.

If the CPO is attractive due to the dealer installing new wear items and consumables prior to sale, that's a different issue, but varies widely from dealer to dealer. Our CPO car had thousands of dollars (VIN-confirmed) worth of new parts before sale, but many don't get much more than the "115" point inspection, where each valve stem cap counts as an "item." If it's not in the computer and confirmed, it wasn't done.

Hall VW sells a lot of TDIs, and the people I've talked to there seem like good folks. The car you listed is far less money than the recent stop-sale cars which have popped up, especially as an 6M SEL. Same car (without the owner-installed GTI wheels at Ellis VW is $44,000):

Here's some threads that may help:

nathanso

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI S 6M (sold)
When I purchased my 2015 GSW TDI S 6M a couple of years ago my previous car was a 1998 Volvo V70 T5M. I miss that Volvo's comfortable seats but that's about it! Recommend that you research leaking sunroofs on Mk7 GSW SE and SEL models before overlooking the S trim variant. The downside (as you've already seen) is that Mk7 TDI prices are ridiculous for what is now a seven year old car, though you would still get the benefit of the Dieselgate extended warranty on much of the drivetrain out to 162K miles/at least 2025 iirc. However, were it me, I'd instead be shopping for a CPO 2021 Golf Sportwagen 1.4T 6M (I'd avoid the larger EA888 motor for reasons you can find elsewhere on this site).

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Do you do the kind of driving the dpf/emissions system will get along with? Do you have a very good dealer? If you intend to be able to use the warranty of any kind you must have a good dealer near you. An excellent independent mechanic for all those other things needed or be able to DIY. There are at least two independents in the Houston area familiar with these cars.

Dill-Ag13

TDI
Thanks all, I think I am leaning more towards a later year non-TDI. Part of my frustration with my Volvo is having meh independent shops near me and not having the time to get it down to the good indys in town.

I do have a decent 30-mile highway commute that's perfect for a diesel.