Connecting rod design?

Machineman

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 RS4 Titanium 3.0TDI & 2013 Touareg TDI & B6 S4 BHW Swap Biturbo
What are people thoughts on con rod styles i have been working on modeling rod for my 3.0 tdi build and have been informed that h beams are inferior apposed to a i beam design i have modeled both styles and weight seems to be similar although depending on cross section

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
I believe the H beams are much stronger than stock and easiest to manufacture, however the I beam is ideal from a strength to weight ratio and most efficient use of the material due to the moment of inertia.

TDIMiester had a great explanation on this a few years ago - if I find it, I'll post a link

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
I usually use H beams. I find them lighter than I beams....and more than strong enough.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
H-beam's easier to hack outta a generic rod blank
just gotta use a horizontal mill cutter to get the sides hollowed out, instead of a small cutter in a vertical to profile the windows in the big end

I beam is preferred for reasons that elude me, but it takes either a lot of time with smaller cutters, or dedicated forging dies to make the blank for only the one rod length

Machineman

Veteran Member
TDI
Well this topic has me stumped I'm starting to wonder if it's worth it I have the 4340 material to make the rods already but I am wondering if I will never achieve the breaking point of stock ones I have ran 75 lb of boost on bhw rods without any failure and the 3 liter TDI rods are even more robust they have 30mm pins and a larger cross section in the beam they already been confirmed to 500 awhp with bobbys car I just don't want to be the one that pushes them to 650 Hp and they break

andy2

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Jetta,94 Golf drag car 585bhp,Samurai buggy BHW 300bhp,97 Ram cummins
I'd say it depends on how much torque that you put through the engine.If you plan on running a big or large single then the factory rods might be ok.

If running compounds then mabye consider a rod upgrade.

My old ALH based engine years ago broke 3 out of 4 H-beam rods.
I now use aftermarket I-beam rods with a 3/8" rod bolt.

The funny part was that I had the BEW rods in my old ALH and decided to upgrade to the H-beam rods as I was worried about the BEW rods failing.

It might be possible that the PD rod would take all the power/rpm I could make with only mabye upgrading the rod bolts,who knows ?

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
If you intend to drag the engine then by all means- upgrade the rods, if you are thinking to drive the car sensibly and let it warm properly then stock rods will last... I have been in bobby's car and it sounded fine on a full throttle and he was driving it properly! Them 3.0 tdis are strong engines!

Machineman

Veteran Member
TDI
I'd say it depends on how much torque that you put through the engine.If you plan on running a big or large single then the factory rods might be ok.

If running compounds then mabye consider a rod upgrade.

My old ALH based engine years ago broke 3 out of 4 H-beam rods.
I now use aftermarket I-beam rods with a 3/8" rod bolt.

The funny part was that I had the BEW rods in my old ALH and decided to upgrade to the H-beam rods as I was worried about the BEW rods failing.

It might be possible that the PD rod would take all the power/rpm I could make with only mabye upgrading the rod bolts,who knows ?
You broke a set of rostens right ? So you're running I beams ?? Are those the cuttingham ones

andy2

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Jetta,94 Golf drag car 585bhp,Samurai buggy BHW 300bhp,97 Ram cummins
Yeah,Cunningham I-beam.They are a heavy rod in comparison to the H beam but that doesn't seem to matter at all.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Still on the smaller journals to fit the larger bolts, I assume?

ETA: on stock rod failures, every ALH with supposedly "weak" rods I take apart already has #2 and 3 bent from getting slugged with oil
No rod has any strength if it's already bent.

ETA2: take this post as a vote for stock rods, possibly with better bolts

Last edited:

Machineman

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah,Cunningham I-beam.They are a heavy rod in comparison to the H beam but that doesn't seem to matter at all.
Were your rods from Cunningham forged machined or billet machined ? I know they do either or

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
The whole purpose of a rod is to remain in column to carry compressive load, and from the lateral reciprocating forces, and I beam has cap strips to give greater bending strength for same given mass.

Machineman

Veteran Member
TDI
If you are interested in them I might sell them cuz I might upgrade to M9 they have never even been torqued

diffas

Veteran Member
TDI
B5q A4 Avant 2.5TDi+, B7q A4 Avant 3.0TDi
Actually I might. I ordered 2.7biturbo bolts but they are bit beefier. I think they are m9 even etka says m8.5. Wanna change? Haha. To me they are useless anyways.
If you are interested in them I might sell them cuz I might upgrade to M9 they have never even been torqued

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
I have never, ever seen separated rod caps and pistons through the head due due to failed big-end bolts in a TDI. More like a subtle but noticeable squiggly bend along the length of the main rod column to something more dramatic like Andy's pic above but in any case, the bolts have not been the weak spot.

Edit: @Machineman, since you've already modeled both I- and H-beam rods in SolidWorks, you can easily query the software to report the moments of inertia Ix and iy of both designs. It would be very illuminating if you would post the results. And if your SolidWorks has the FEA module, you could do a quick and dirty stress analysis at different rod inclinations. I can give you some representative cylinder pressure vs. crank angle data for that analysis if you like.

Last edited:

diffas

Veteran Member
TDI
B5q A4 Avant 2.5TDi+, B7q A4 Avant 3.0TDi
Oe bolts most likely holds just fine but rather safe than sorry. High reving engines with heavy pistons are most likely cause of rod caps to seperate.