Connecticut emissions test

dslemaire

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat
I recently moved to Connecticut and apparently they have an emissions test for diesel cars.

Does anyone have and suggestions for passing with an old TDI. I have a 96 and a 97 Passat. Both have almost 300k miles. Neither has a cat installed. So I suppose the first thing I'll need is to install a new cat.

Problem is that my 97 smokes like bandit. It didn't improve with a new injectro pump or changing the fuel temp sensor. So I don't know if I can get it to pass. It also has a CEL from an EGR problem.

The 96 I hope will pass if I install a new cat.

Open to ideas.

I haven't tried to register the cars yet, but I think they have to be tested first.

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip
you are subject to an ob2 and visual inspection for the cat converter

http://ctemissions.com/

you will probably need an EPA approved cat converter, too bad you or the previous owner tampered with the exhaust system, this may be very expensive to replace, they are listed as around $500-$600 at world impex

http://www.worldimpex.com/search_by...=1996&make_id=1&model_id=667&category_id=1026

the smoke may be caused by bad injectors or improper timing, check your static timing, if it is retarded advance it a little to reduce the smoke, adjusting the egr may also help

timing adjustment

http://www.tdiclub.com/TDIFAQ/TDiFAQ-7.html#k

check the egr

http://www.tdiclub.com/TDIFAQ/TDiFAQ-7.html#g

bypass the supplementary injector (if your 96 still has it)

http://www.tdiclub.com/TDIFAQ/TDiFAQ-7.html#e

Last edited:

gutts

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta
i have a "friend" who has no cat . An rc3 with EGR delete, passed inspection . There was no visual inspection . All they did was plug it in . But it was a small shop . You cannot have the cel on , it will not pass, i think that is all they will look for , the cel.

Last edited:

dslemaire

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat
That would be the kind of shop I need! Where's it located? I'm in Trumbull, near Bridgeport.

I've also been looking for a good repair shop to do repairs on occasion when I can't do it myself.

I was going to pick up a aftermarket generic cat from NAPA. My 97 has a CEL, but I think it's for the glow plugs. so I don't know if they'll flag it or not?

The problem I think I'll have is that my 97 smokes a lot. I've thought about swapping the injectors from my 96 to see if it stops. Or maybe swapping the ECU's. I'm thinking it's possibly one or the other..

I know my timing is OK and it has a relatively new injector pump.

Got Bearings?

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Also, if the CEL does not work you will fail. You will also fail if the readiness is not set and/or have any OBD codes stored. The CEL does not have to be on to fail.

Personally, I would not worry about hardware. They just go by what the computer says. If the ECU reports everything is OK, you will likely pass.

dslemaire

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat
Looks like I'll have to pull out my vagcom and see what code that I'm showing first and get a new cat installed before I make an attempt. But a glow plug CEL doesn't really have to do with emissions, but it still shows a CEL.

dslemaire

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat
After running the vagcom on my cars today, my 96 is clear of codes.

My 97 I get a CEL from the glow plug circuit. This has been an issue for several years. But even after installing new plugs and harness, it still comes back on when the car starts in the cold. I've about given up trying to find out what's causing it.

If I clear the code it stays off while the car is above 50F. But the next cold start usually causes it to come back on.

So I suppose I could clear it and then try to have them do the test.

N2UADTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan DSG
It takes some time after the CEL is turned off and the car computer will say emissions is ready.
Perhaps someone here knows what it is for VW? I've heard that some cars will use mileage, # engine starts, etc to measure the passage of time before setting the emissions ready flag.

dslemaire

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat
Amazingly enough, I cleared the glow plug code on my 97 and its still clear. So I advanced the timing as best I could, which was actually ended up at dead on. And changed the IQ to a lower amount and it does seem to be smoking much less once the engines hot.

So I may make an attempt to see if it might pass.

I would be curious to know if the readiness for the CEL is after 10 starts or a certain period of time??? I don't think this one is smart enough for mileage.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
The 1996 is OBD II exempt as the requirement for light duty diesels began in the 1997 model year.
The 1997 is subject to passing the OBD II scan test. Clearing codes also resets the 'readiness' that shows that the problems haven't been present for x number of engine cold start through warm operation cycles. That's not starts, but cold starts to normal operating temperature cycles. You may fail for not having the readiness codes set.
The glow plug electric circuit changed a huge amount between the 1996 and 1997 models: different glow relays, different locations for those relays, different ECU monitoring software programs. Mixing 1996 and 1997 items are just one cause that will create this type of error that pops up during the post-start, after-glow period, so be sure that the correct items are in the correct cars in the correct locations.

pruzink

Veteran Member
TDI
GLS, 2004, silver
Not all of the places that do emissions testing in Connecticut will test diesel engines (there aren't many). I used to live in Trumbull but now live in Shelton. Knecht's garage on Rt.111 in Trumbull will test diesel engines but I like AJ's on Route 110 (river Road) in Shelton better. All they really do is check the computer for codes (no soot test); I wouldn't do anything ther than clearing codes before bringing it in.

dslemaire

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat
Thanks for the advice. Sounds like a good place for me to start. I'll check out AJ's. My 96 has not codes, but by 97 has an intermittent EGR code 560. If I clear it, I can usually go for a day or two and then it comes back. I guess I need to see if it's sticking or something?

Do you have any good mechanics in the Trumbull area that you recommend? I usually do all my own work, but if I'm on the road and the wife breaks down, it's good to have a place to call nearby.

We're still learning our way around!

70MPG-goal

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta
i'd run the thing on the highiest Biodiesel blend and have some propane fumagating in the intake, both are known to reduce emissions. Propane acts as a catalyst that helps burn 100% of your diesel and you use less diesel to achieve more "clean" power. low levels of propane must be used so the Air/Fuel mix (propane is the fuel) is too lean to self ignite befor TDC (top dead Center). if the mixture is too rich, it'll self ignite because propane only needs a 14:1 compression ratio to combust. This is called detonation. With a lean propane mix, ignition only happens when the Diesel fuel is "Direct injected" into the combustion chamber. Some companies make propane injection kits for diesels. BullyDog used to have one and EcoDiesel make them for the truck&semi world, though they can be retro fitted to our TDIs.

Last edited:

70MPG-goal

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta
According to "EcoDiesel Systems" they inject low levels of either LPG (aka propane) or CNG (aka compressed natural gas) and they behave as a "catalsyt" and help burn 100% of the diesel fuel. By burning 100% of the fuel (they claim) that less NOx is produced and lower level of soot is as well. The diesel burns cleaner (less soot/NOx) and produces more power (HP & Torque). Even less diesel is needed so MPG is improved. It's a dual-fuel system that is better known in the Truck and Semi world. Found an old trend from a TDICLUB member by the name of Valois (if I remember) that had a propane fumagation injection system hooked up to his PVC inlet, and he seemed to have crazy amounts of power. Propane has around 105 octane reading. By having propane mixed in the intake, there is less O2, meaning less NOx. Seems that propane further cools the intake temp. Propane level have to be too low in the air/propane fuel mix to self ignite. Propane needs 14:1 compression ratio to ignite, but if the air/fuel mixture too too lean it can't, so it needs the Direct Injection of diesel to "self ignite", then that propane in the mix helps burn all the fuel cleanly, with very low levels of NOx & Soot. This is all according to sites that provide these propane injection systems.

Last edited:

pruzink

Veteran Member
TDI
GLS, 2004, silver
Thanks for the advice. Sounds like a good place for me to start. I'll check out AJ's. My 96 has not codes, but by 97 has an intermittent EGR code 560. If I clear it, I can usually go for a day or two and then it comes back. I guess I need to see if it's sticking or something?

Do you have any good mechanics in the Trumbull area that you recommend? I usually do all my own work, but if I'm on the road and the wife breaks down, it's good to have a place to call nearby.

We're still learning our way around!
I had a couple of recalls done at Curran VW in Stratford when my car had lower miles (I have a 2004 Jetta with 160K miles) and they did a good job (they replaced the EGR cooler, did the glow plug replacement & a few minor things). There is a TDI club member with member ID Meganuke that lives near Hartford that works on these cars. When I have my camshaft replaced & my 2nd timing belt installed I will probably take it to Hevster who is just off of I-84 in NJ (just under a 2 hour ride but he is one of the best on these cars). Anything with an EGR code I would always start by pulling & cleaning the valve & verifying vacuum/propper operatio of the actuator. If you ever need Vagcom to clear codes let me know.

dslemaire

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat
Thanks for the info.

My plan is to properly clean out the EGR and exercise it with my mityvac. If that doesn't do it than I suppose I need to maybe swap the solinoid with the one on my 96 and see what happens.

I was able to get the smoke down quite a bit by adjusting the IQ. Both cars have the Kerma 520's which I put on a few years ago.

I do have vagcom, but it only works with an old laptop that I use. The battery on the laptop is shot, so I have to run it off an inverter in the car or use and extension cord. But usually I can get it to work. But thank you for the offer!

I'm missing my heated garage that I used to have...

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
i have a "friend" who has no cat . An rc3 with EGR delete, passed inspection . There was no visual inspection . All they did was plug it in . But it was a small shop . You cannot have the cel on , it will not pass, i think that is all they will look for , the cel.
Specifically, in Virginia, there WILL BE NO visual inspection of diesel emissions equipment on diesels receiving an OBD II test. On gasoline-powered cars, there is. Why the difference, I have no clue. Makes absolutely no sense. It states plainly in the procedures the inspector is to follow. It is on the Virginia DEQ web site. Your state may post their testing procedures too. But if 99% of your inspections are for gasoline-powered cars, I bet you will visually inspect a diesel too out of habbit.

Now, if an inspector fails the diesel-powered car for no catalyst because he saw a straight pipe in its place, I am not sure you would be successful in demanding the car pass since the inspector did not follow protocall, and if he did, your car would have passed.

Here is what Virginia says:

Diesel-Powered Vehicles
1997 and newer diesel vehicles with a manufacturer’s designated gross vehicle weight rating of 8,500 pounds or less will receive the on-board diagnostic computer system test. Diesel vehicles will not receive the tailpipe test, fuel cap pressure test, visual component inspection, or the visible smoke inspection.

Gasoline-powered vehicles get the component inspection:
Newer vehicles may receive a test of the vehicle's on-board diagnostic computer system instead of or in addition to the regular tailpipe emissions test. Most vehicles receive an emissions control component inspection. The inspector will check for certain emissions control systems that were originally installed on the vehicle by the manufacturer. Most vehicles will also receive a gas cap pressure test, and a visible smoke inspection.

Also, there are three different emissions tests for gasoline -powered vehicles, depending on model year: The two-speed idle test (tail pipe sniffer) for 1980 and before (to about 1967?, dynomometer with tail pipe sniffer testing for 15 and 25 mph to check for HC, CO and NOx emissions (1891 to 1995) and OBD II testing for 1996 and newer.

--Nate

Last edited:

BlueCTTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS (PD) - Indigo Blue
FWIW, just a followup note.. if you clear codes immediately before you go, it will probably fail. As of the most recent time I was tested (May '12), you are allowed one readiness indicator not set (and there can't be a CEL, obviously..) Just make sure you give it enough time to clear.. anyone with VCDS can also see the readiness indicators for you. :)

dslemaire

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat
Any idea how many starts the car has to have in order to be clear?

I guess I'll need to look for the "readiness" indicators on VCDS. I haven't really noticed them before?

dslemaire

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat
So I cleaned out my EGR and exercised it a few times with the Mityvac.

I drove around and the EGR does not cycle at all per my Vag Com. It just sits at 4.8%. So my guess is that I have a bad N18 valve?

Any suggestions on testing the valve? I would suppose if I put 12 volts to it, it should open?

MineoTDI

TDI
2001 Golf TDI
I'm from Bridgeport, and I had a similar problem with glow plugs.

I cleared the codes myself, and then just went right to the emissions testing place.

The one I went to was on Boston Ave, near the KFC.

I have no cat, but they never checked. Even though I cleared the codes just before, they passed it.

I would just go for it, they require 20$ cash there, just make sure there is no CEL. even just for glow plugs they will not pass if there is a light on.