Complete Tiguan F. Strut on Wagen?

Detour

TDI
2014 Sportwagen
I know there are a bunch of threads about springs but I am having trouble finding consistent info.
I want to put tow springs in the rear of my 2014 Sportwagen and would like it to sit level. So I am looking for springs up front.
Seems like the Tiguan front springs are very common but don't work great on stock Jetta struts. I found a very low mile set of complete Tiguan front struts and was wondering if these would bolt right on?
Is there a spring rate difference between 2wd and 4wd Tiguan springs?

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
How level are you looking for with your swap? Is 0.5" too much of a difference? 0.25"?

I used fwd Tiguan front springs and Euro rear towing springs. Going by memory the car now sits within a quarter inch f/r on rough ground, unladen. When you step back a few steps it's not a significant difference. Looks level. Pretty sure I went from the horrible reverse-rake to some mild rear-rake before applying a load.

I'm pretty sure there was at least one fellow who used the Tiguan front struts and had issues with them topping out, so he switched to JSW versions with the Tig springs and had much better results.

Hope this helps.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Yes, that will work. We've used Tiguan springs and struts for lift kits. Height will vary depending on what springs you have, there are a bunch of options. I believe the ones for the 4-motion Tiguan will give you the most ride height.

Detour

TDI
2014 Sportwagen
How level are you looking for with your swap? Is 0.5" too much of a difference? 0.25"?
I am not looking for perfection, but I don't want the rear sitting 2" higher. Not looking to make this a Baja Bug. (Although TDI torque with 33" tires might be fun)

Yes, that will work. We've used Tiguan springs and struts for lift kits. Height will vary depending on what springs you have, there are a bunch of options. I believe the ones for the 4-motion Tiguan will give you the most ride height.
Thanks for the info. Are their any sources for spring rates out there? I found one chart that showed Mk IV and older but not the VI and Tiguan.
My front are WHITE WHITE PINK PINK
My rear are WHITE ORANGE ORANGE

I am not looking for the most height. Close to level stance and best ride comfort are my priorities.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
You won't get rates from any reliable sources. You can get weight ranges, but it's a bit of a question mark as to how those translate to ride height. For a moderate lift we used PN 5N0411105T. Don't know what the paint codes were.

Detour

TDI
2014 Sportwagen
That's a little frustrating, coming from Jeeps and motorcycles it is usually easy to find spring rates and lengths to judge ride quality.
How do the Suplex springs compare to OEM VW? Quite the price difference. I also see the 5N0411105AB springs in your lift kit is the AB vs T ending digits irrelevant to fit?

2017 Tiguan struts and springs are still the correct generation and will fit the Sportwagen? If so I will get these complete struts and then the rear springs from IDParts.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Quality is as good if not better, on our opinion. Lots of our springs are now from a Swedish company Lesjofors, who've been making springs for over 100 years.

That OE part number difference won't affect fit. Often we stock products using older part numbers because either that's what customers search for or it's how suppliers stock them. There are always supersessions in part numbers in VW products that often don't indicate any significant change to the part.

Zygote Bros

TDI
2014 JSW TDI
Look at the last 3 pages of this thread, starting with page 31.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=341676&highlight=towing+springs&page=31

I used a specific Tiguan rear spring with the usual 2wd Tiguan front spring most people use to achieve a relatively even lift. The spring I used is actually slightly stiffer than the Jetta towing spring.

I have the Jetta Koni Special Active Struts in front and Tiguan Special Active Struts in the rear. Best not to use Jetta OEM type in front. Highly recommend Tiguan struts for rear, either OEM, Bilstein B4, or Special Actives. The Special Actives will be the stiffest, on the firm side but not harsh. I originally used Jetta Special Actives in the rear and they were too soft and clunked over larger speed bumps (topping).

Last edited:

Detour

TDI
2014 Sportwagen

Zygote Bros

TDI
2014 JSW TDI
Thanks for that information, you did some nice work and research. What are you thoughts now, almost a year later?
I picked up a pair of 2wd Tiguan complete front strut assemblies with only 9k on them the other day. Now I just need to get the rear springs. Ecohitch is ordered.
You don't need the strut assemblies, only the springs. I thought I heard it's best not to use the Tiguan strut assemblies as the extra travel could cause too much stress on the half shafts at full extension...maybe somebody else could chime in on that.

The only change I might make would be to try Tiguan OEM or Bilstein B4s for rear struts (if I were you, I'd try to find someone getting rid of lightly used Tiguan OEM for cheap and try them). The rear is firm relative to the front, but it's not harsh. However, if you plan to weigh down the rear often, then maybe the Tiguan Koni Special Actives would be a good idea. Otherwise it's been great. Handles much better than my first setup (Jetta Koni Sports all around, GTI sway bar, Jetta Towing Springs), very secure and it's not so butt high in back. No clunks over speed bumps. I can tell the springs I use now are slightly firmer than towing springs. The rear seems to deflect less under load compared to towing springs (though I haven't fully loaded the rear).

Install a used 22mm GTI/Passat rear sway bar (don't be cheap and buy new bushings). Last I saw they are well under $100 on Ebay.

The only other advice I would give is not to use any sort of Jetta Sport strut (Bilstein B8, Koni Yellows) in the front or rear. They are made for shorter springs and don't really work well with the longer Tiguan springs.

Last edited:

Detour

TDI
2014 Sportwagen
You don't need the strut assemblies, only the springs. I thought I heard it's best not to use the Tiguan strut assemblies as the extra travel could cause too much stress on the half shafts at full extension...maybe somebody else could chime in on that.
I have read a few people commenting on the front struts clunking with factory Jetta struts and some Koni. I bought the complete strut to avoid this problem. Static ride height and CV angles will be the same regardless of the strut so the only problem would come at the extreme travel limits of the suspension. On a 4x4 hitting the trails often this is a definite problem. Running around on paved roads I don't see it causing to much of a problem. Guess I will see how it treats me.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
We used to sell Koni struts for Tiguans with lift kits. For some reason, however, Koni discontinued all struts for Tiguans. Odd.

Zygote Bros

TDI
2014 JSW TDI
I have read a few people commenting on the front struts clunking with factory Jetta struts and some Koni. I bought the complete strut to avoid this problem. Static ride height and CV angles will be the same regardless of the strut so the only problem would come at the extreme travel limits of the suspension. On a 4x4 hitting the trails often this is a definite problem. Running around on paved roads I don't see it causing to much of a problem. Guess I will see how it treats me.
I don't have that issue. I don't plan to go off road with my car though. Let us know how it works.

tjlang

TDI
2012 Jetta Sport Wagon
New member here looking to do exactly what Detour is proposing. Is there any update to this? I'm hoping to be able to purchase loaded Tiguan front struts for my JSW.

Detour

TDI
2014 Sportwagen
New member here looking to do exactly what Detour is proposing. Is there any update to this? I'm hoping to be able to purchase loaded Tiguan front struts for my JSW.
I purchased a low mile matching pair of 2017 Tiguan front struts and the Euro tow springs and it turned out perfect for me. Before a 300-400# of supplies from the garden center or hardware store had the rear squatting horrible; not anymore. I have put about 5000 miles on the springs, including a round trip from WI to AZ in February and I've towed multiple trailer loads of material, up to 3000# without issue. The ride is sporty but still very comfortable. I would say normal driving I don't notice a difference, but it has less body lean in curves. FYI, I also upgraded the rear sway bar, and tires to a set of Continental sport touring so that has something to do with it.

Last fall shortly after completing the swap we were out on a road trip on a twisty road when a pack of three Lotus Elise came up and passed me. I decided to let them run cover for cops and kept up with them. Had a good 15-20 minute run approaching triple digit speeds. I was right on their tails in the twists and they would slightly pull away on longer straight aways. Lots of fun. They ended up stopping at a gas station/dinner in a tiny town so I pulled off for a break as well. They were dumbfounded that I kept up with them all that way.

Good luck on your decision.

YoursTruly

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
I posted a thread recently looking to do a similar thing to my sedan. I might order the vogtland tiguan lowering springs and stick them on my stock struts just to see what happens. Eventually, I want fresh shocks and aftermarket camber plates too.

Link

tjlang

TDI
2012 Jetta Sport Wagon
For the record, I ended up installing Suplex 39363 springs in the rear. They were listed as a replacement for the VW 3C0511115AG factory rear Tiguan springs.

I wasn't looking to off road just have more spring rate in the rear for when I install a trailer hitch (soon). I was also hoping I could get away without replacing the fronts, at least for the foreseeable future.

The 39363 were exactly the same length as the original rear springs, but with 13mm coils instead of 12mm, and slightly larger diameter 118mm vs. 116mm.

The rears raised an inch maybe slightly more. It looks just fine as is, rides and handles better empty. I'd post a pic but can't figure out how from my computer.

I'll post back after I throw a hitch and a small boat on this.

taleAwaggin

Veteran Member
TDI
rollin in my two point oh, panoramic back so my hair can blow
It doesn't make sense to me that Tiguan front springs would top out easily in Tiguan struts.. it makes more sense that the Tiguan springs would top out more easily in Jetta struts.. but I have not tried either yet. I think the mixed reports may be due to mixed use. Off road use you're more likely to top things out than just towing or commuting.

Last edited:

_ian

TDI
'14 Touareg LUX, '14 JSW
Like may others, I'm considering doing the same setup as the op. I'm looking at front Tiguan struts/springs for a 2014 JSW. I think the concern is that the extended length of the strut is longer than the Golf/Jetta so it could stress the outer CV at full droop and turn. Has anyone compared the extended length of the Tiguan strut vs the Golf/Jetta?

_ian

TDI
'14 Touareg LUX, '14 JSW
Like may others, I'm considering doing the same setup as the op. I'm looking at front Tiguan struts/springs for a 2014 JSW. I think the concern is that the extended length of the strut is longer than the Golf/Jetta so it could stress the outer CV at full droop and turn. Has anyone compared the extended length of the Tiguan strut vs the Golf/Jetta?
After reading the thread linked above I think my question was already answered. I also went to the Monroe's website to compare strut lengths and a '14 JSW is exactly the same length and a '17 Tiguan FWD. I would expect the internal damping to be different, but the extend/compressed length is the same.

taleAwaggin

Veteran Member
TDI
rollin in my two point oh, panoramic back so my hair can blow
Since my last post, I have tried these and yes they are exactly the same extended length. I won't comment on differences in damping because I can't remember what a bone stock setup felt like at this point.

My JSW front struts were exactly the same extended length as 1g fwd Tiguan front struts.
My JSW rear springs were exactly the same extended length as 1g fwd Tiguan rear springs.
Spacers worked out great both front and back to get me what Tiguan parts did not get me.

Stupid and unneeded disclaimer: This is my experience, your whatever may vary. Sanctimonious peeps pls see "lifted water-cooled vws" on faceboock. They will straighten everything out for you.

Last edited:

hymato

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta TDI(buyback) Now 2005.5 Jetta tdi
I’ve been running this setup on my 2011 sportwagen and I’ve been having steering issues, I’m gonna switch to the forge motor sports overland kit, I’m figuring this will lift the body only and leasing any stress on suspension and drivetrain

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
Curious as to what steering issues you are having? Pulling left-right on/off power and on uneven pavement?

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
If you mean you have to make steering corrections to keep straight as the road camber changes, wheels encounter ruts etc that is a problem I became familiar with after some recent work. It turned out that the problem I had was serious wheel camber differences left and right. I defined the problem by putting a torpedo level on the front disks. Car was sitting on equal jack stands and level of course. One side I had to put a shim under the bottom of the level to bring it vertical, the other side needed a shim under the top of the level.
The reason for the side to side difference was the subframe was shifted off to one side. I found that the average tire sales/front end/ alignment shop isn’t interested in shifting subframes so ended up moving it myself. I don’t know yet where I got it to but I think it was close although still out a bit with the subframe over as far as I could get it. The car is going for another alignment tomorrow and I will post the results.

Bill42mb

TDI
2011 golf sportwagen
I purchased a low mile matching pair of 2017 Tiguan front struts and the Euro tow springs and it turned out perfect for me. Before a 300-400# of supplies from the garden center or hardware store had the rear squatting horrible; not anymore. I have put about 5000 miles on the springs, including a round trip from WI to AZ in February and I've towed multiple trailer loads of material, up to 3000# without issue. The ride is sporty but still very comfortable. I would say normal driving I don't notice a difference, but it has less body lean in curves. FYI, I also upgraded the rear sway bar, and tires to a set of Continental sport touring so that has something to do with it.

Last fall shortly after completing the swap we were out on a road trip on a twisty road when a pack of three Lotus Elise came up and passed me. I decided to let them run cover for cops and kept up with them. Had a good 15-20 minute run approaching triple digit speeds. I was right on their tails in the twists and they would slightly pull away on longer straight aways. Lots of fun. They ended up stopping at a gas station/dinner in a tiny town so I pulled off for a break as well. They were dumbfounded that I kept up with them all that way.

Good luck on your decision.
Sorry to resurrect this, but I just joined today. What struts did you use exactly? Front wheel drive? I have a 2011 golf sportwagen (Canadian market) and want to put the towing springs in the rear and lift the front a little to help in snow especially. I do tow with it fairly often. The front struts need replacement anyway, so buying the complete assembly would obviously be preferable.

tjlang

TDI
2012 Jetta Sport Wagon
Follow-up to installing Suplex 39363 springs in the rear of my 2012 Jetta Sport Wagon. I still have the factory rear shocks. Since I installed the rear springs I have towed a utility trailer and a Boston Whaler 13' boat many times and had excellent results. I couldn't be happier with the set up and with how the car looks with just about an inch taller in the rear is all.

For now, the front springs and struts remain unchanged but when they need replacement I will try for a plug and play pre-assembled solution so keeping this thread alive for that coveted Part Number.

TDI
2011 Golf Hatchback
Looking to lift my 2011 Golf Hatchback, this forum has suggestions for the wagon. Would putting towing springs on the back raise it too much? What do you suggest for me to get a little more clearance underneath?