Complete Power Loss Flashing Glow Plug Light

Dana Bartholomew

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2000, satin silver
My '00 TDI suddenly crapped out today on the freeway during rush hour. No power, no pedal response. Engine speed climbed to a high idle. Hit the hazards and drifted over.

Stopped and restarted the car. Power resumed. Now have a CEL and a flashing glow plug light. Engine inspection: no obvious breaks.

Have replaced the glow plug harness once. Any ideas? Thnx.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Get it scanned to see what happened and is happening.

If there was no pedal response, how did the engine speed climb to a high idle? The only way I can think that would happen is if the computer is getting an input from the Throttle Position Sensor or THINKS it's getting one.

First guess is TPS.

Dana Bartholomew

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2000, satin silver
Will do. Dunno why the engine reverted to a high idle. Of all my years on this board, I've never heard of this happening. All I know is: Kaput. No pedal response, high idle. Weird.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
The go pedal sensor is actually 2 senors in one. It does this so it can check for errors. If it detects one it ignores input from the go pedal and goes to high idle.

-Jason

Dana Bartholomew

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2000, satin silver
Jason,

Thanks. Nice to know. However, I'm not sure why VW thought to disable the go pedal during a system error. It's dangerous as hell to be on the freeway and suddenly experience NO power.

db

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
Dana Bartholomew said:
Jason,

Thanks. Nice to know. However, I'm not sure why VW thought to disable the go pedal during a system error. It's dangerous as hell to be on the freeway and suddenly experience NO power.

db
Been there, done it. Last Octobre I got the glow plug thingy magigie and no power ...but high idle.

I called HermTdi in Maine, he said look for the 109 fuse. That was fun.:( I have steel plating covering that area. He said I had an unusual car... as he had done my timing belt in 2004 and found loads of odds and ends during the change over that he never saw.:( I found it, it was in the engine compartment.

Anywho, it was my pedal not the relay 109. The sensor on the pedal wears out. You can order it through IMPEX SKU # 553282. It was a tuffy. There are three screws to get out and to put in. The top one has to be very good on your dexterity.

I maybe wrong, the olde pedal assembly has 4 bolts while the new one has three. It takes an hour. Tops.

BrianCT

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
compu_85 said:
It would be more dangerous if it were just a single sensor, and it got stuck at WOT.

-J
Misreading on that sensor it goes into 1,100 rpms just for that reason.

BrianCT

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
Dana Bartholomew said:
OK. Go pedal sensor. Thanks for the diagnosis. Helps a lot. I'll check it out...
You have to change the entire assembly. The part comes complete with the sensor attached. Click image below to see what the part looks like off the car.