Complaints Filed to FTC and Claims Council and the Results / Reply's

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG - 2016 Tig SE for the wifey
I submitted a complaint with the FTC and Claims Council just minutes ago, thanks to Dan36 posting the links. I am frustrated with the lack of help or getting clear answers from VW.
Could not believe how quickly the Claims Council responded. I posted their response below.
If you do file with one or both both, please post here since VW is not being transparent at all. This will help us understand we stand and provide valuable information to either relieve stress or help you take action.
Hi Bruce,
I’m writing in response to your inquiry to the Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee and I’m with the Court-appointed lead counsel representing the plaintiffs in this litigation.

I understand your frustration with the situation. As far as claims processing goes, a lot of class members have been concerned about their claims not being processed within the proper 10 business day window. VW’s counsel has clarified that the clock did not start until Nov. 1, based on Section XIII.K of the FTC order, which commences the process within 5 business days of the Oct. 25 final approval order (see language below).
Hi Bruce,
I’m writing in response to your inquiry to the Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee and I’m with the Court-appointed lead counsel representing the plaintiffs in this litigation.
Notwithstanding anything else in this Order, the Buyback and Lease Termination
offers required under Sections VII and VIII of this Order, shall be available to Eligible Owners
and Eligible Lessees beginning within 5 business days from the Effective Date and shall remain
open until at least 2 years after the Effective Date. Provided, however, that an Eligible
Consumer must complete a claims application no later than September 1, 2018 to participate in
the Settlement Program. Notwithstanding anything else in this Order, the Buyback and Lease Termination
offers required under Sections VII and VIII of this Order, shall be available to Eligible Owners
and Eligible Lessees beginning within 5 business days from the Effective Date and shall remain
open until at least 2 years after the Effective Date. Provided, however, that an Eligible
Consumer must complete a claims application no later than September 1, 2018 to participate in
the Settlement Program.
Class members who successfully uploaded all of their necessary documentation as of Nov. 1 should be getting a notification that their claim is complete by Nov. 15 (10 business days from Nov. 1). They’ll then receive an offer letter 10 business days later, meaning they should anticipate offer letters in the first week of December, if not earlier.
It’s possible that claims may take longer to process if it requires VW to verify an existing loan amount from a bank or credit union. This is obviously frustrating but I hope this helps to clarify the timeline for you. If you have any further questions regarding the settlement you can reach me directly at 415-956-1000 ext 2324 or directly at this email.
Kind Regards,
Cameron Saunders
Lieff Cabraser Heimann & Bernstein, LLP
VW “Clean Diesel” MDL No. 2672 | Plaintiffs Steering Committee

Sigp232

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Passat
I just recieved the same thing after my complained this morning to them. looks like 2 more weeks for a offer?

Sigp232

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Passat
I don't know I'm really confused about tihis. I've had my documents uploaded since 10/18 with green check marks on all 4 pages. And I've been waiting ever since.

Fourplay

, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2014 A8L
Wouldn't 10 business days from that November 1 day be tomorrow?
Yes.

VW had 5 business days from the Settlement approval to get the ball rolling. That puts us at November 1st.

VW then had 10 business days to let you know if your documents were complete (green checkmark on website). That puts us at November 15th.

VW then has 10 business days to determine whether or not you are eligible. If you are, you will receive an offer letter. Because the last 3 days of next week are designated a holiday in the settlement, that puts us at December 2nd.

So, if you haven't gotten a green checkmark (documents complete) by the end of the day tomorrow, you should complain.

If you haven't gotten an offer letter by December 2nd, you should complain.

Sigp232

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Passat
Just recieved a different letter from claims

Thank you for reaching out to express your concerns. The Settlement Agreements went into effect on October 25, 2016, however, the Judge ordered that the claims review process officially commence on November 1, 2016 (five days after the effective date of the approved Agreements). As per the timetables set forth in the Agreements and the Long Form Notice, Volkswagen has 10 business days to determine that your claim is complete and eligible, and another 10 business days to issue an award determination. During the second 10 business day period, the Claims Supervisor (Ankura Consulting Group) conducts a review of your claim to verify eligibility and the award determination calculated by Volkswagen.

The Claim Supervisor will continue to monitor each claim that Volkswagen receives, as well as Volkswagen's timeliness with the review process, and will report to the Court and the parties accordingly.

If questions remain, or if you otherwise need to speak with the Claims Supervisor staff, please contact us at this email address. Thank you.

Annie Cutting
Associate
Ankura Consulting Group, LLC
1220 19th Street, NW, Suite 700
Washington, DC 20036
ankuraconsulting.com

pwolfe

TDI
2012 TDI w/tech DSG
So I interpret that response to mean I won't be justifiably agitated until COB tomorrow.

mhoffman47

TDI
Audi A3
So here is where I am confused.... if my documents were approved on 10/25 are they now saying it is still 20 days from 11/1? Or is it 10 days from 11/1 for me since I already had the docs approved and I dont need that 10 day window for approval in step 1?

I dont think anyone knows the answer to this (I have talked with PSC lawyer), but just looking to see if others are interpreting the same way.

TDIsoup

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
Yes.
VW had 5 business days from the Settlement approval to get the ball rolling. That puts us at November 1st.
VW then had 10 business days to let you know if your documents were complete (green checkmark on website). That puts us at November 15th.
VW then has 10 business days to determine whether or not you are eligible. If you are, you will receive an offer letter. Because the last 3 days of next week are designated a holiday in the settlement, that puts us at December 2nd.
So, if you haven't gotten a green checkmark (documents complete) by the end of the day tomorrow, you should complain.
If you haven't gotten an offer letter by December 2nd, you should complain.
I have a problem with that December 2nd date. When my docs were approved on 10/20, the notice generated says I will be provided with a final offer in 10 business days, not 10 business days from November 15th. That should have been explicitly stated, and it isn't.

Sigp232

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Passat
I think 11-29 is the 20 days that they have there taking about. Should be the last day to get an offer. But I'm really confused with this I've been uploaded and green check marks since 10/18. Clean title. Others uploaded later and already have there dates in to turn in

Fourplay

TDI
2014 A8L
Seriously? Do they have schoolkids doing the claims? That's about the only people I can think of who have three days off next week.
On the bright side, Veterans Day wasn't considered a holiday. So it all evens out.

From what I've seen, the second 10 day period is taking significantly less for most people. 5 business days tops.

I have a problem with that December 2nd date. When my docs were approved on 10/20, the notice generated says I will be provided with a final offer in 10 business days, not 10 business days from November 15th. That should have been explicitly stated, and it isn't.
Agreed. In their view though, your document approval was way ahead of schedule.

So here is where I am confused.... if my documents were approved on 10/25 are they now saying it is still 20 days from 11/1? Or is it 10 days from 11/1 for me since I already had the docs approved and I dont need that 10 day window for approval in step 1?
VW has until December 2nd to confirm eligibility and send out an offer letter to everyone involved in the settlement, regardless of when you got the "Documents Complete" message. If you got a "Documents Complete" message before Nov. 15th, you are effectively ahead of schedule, but they are not legally required to notify you of your eligibility until December 2nd.

Last edited:

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Seriously? Do they have schoolkids doing the claims? That's about the only people I can think of who have three days off next week.
Well— they may have schoolkids doing the claims, but lawyers are overseeing this. And no one who has not come into contact with the legal process or learned about it (I did, in a class on the criminal justice system in our county) has no idea how things are dragged out. It's as if it takes place in another universe, one characterized by s-l-o-w.
For example, in our county (it's really an IL state rule) a person charged with a crime has 60 days to be brought to trial. Simple, right? It's a RULE, and so it HAS to happen! No way in hell. There is arraignment, preliminary hearing, etc. and so forth. IF and only IF the number of days between each step is followed will they add up to 60. At any step of the process, any party (judge, prosecutor, defense attorney) can ask for a postponement, and pretty much for anything: "The defendant has a cold." "My Aunt Agnes' funeral in Des Moines is next Tuesday, so I can't make it." "My kid's Cub Scout Pinewood Derby is that night." And at each one of those steps, things get set back. The bottom line? Two months is theory, if you get to trial in 6, it's considered a light speed miracle. Relax and have a nice beer......

Mr. Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
None
On the bright side, Veterans Day wasn't considered a holiday. So it all evens out.
Absolutely baffling...

From what I've seen, the second 10 day period is taking significantly less for most people. 5 business days tops.
That would be very cool. I got the green checkmark last Monday (11/7), and if I got the offer this week I'd have a realistic shot of getting my buyback scheduled by the middle of December, which is when the vehicle I ordered is scheduled to arrive.

dmanb2b

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta, 2011 335D
Glad to hear I'm not the only one...green check marks since 10/19.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
VW has until December 2nd to confirm eligibility and send out an offer letter to everyone involved in the settlement, regardless of when you got the "Documents Complete" message.
That may be the way they're thinking, but it isn't what the settlements say. They don't have 20 business days to review for completeness and approve the claim. They have 10 business days to review for completeness (and notify the claimant), and then they have 10 business days to approve the claim (and, again, notify the claimant). If they take 5 business days to review for completeness, good for them. They then have 10 business days, not 15, from that time to approve the claim.

TDIsoup

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
That may be the way they're thinking, but it isn't what the settlements say. They don't have 20 business days to review for completeness and approve the claim. They have 10 business days to review for completeness (and notify the claimant), and then they have 10 business days to approve the claim (and, again, notify the claimant). If they take 5 business days to review for completeness, good for them. They then have 10 business days, not 15, from that time to approve the claim.
That is my point. That ticker should be different for everyone, depending on your approval dates. For me, they are well beyond the 10 business day mark. 17 days counting today.

TDIsoup

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
No, they aren't, as the clock didn't start until 11/1. Today is business day #9.
Again, that isn't explicitly stated as the system itself says you will receive a final offer within 10 business days, period. It only adds to the confusion of this whole process. It doesn't say from a certain date.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
You're right, the system doesn't say that (and yes, it should, but that's among the lesser failures of the claims portal). But that is what both VW and the FTC believe is the timeline.

TDIsoup

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
For people that read this forum, it provides information like this thread, but if you only relied on the response you got after having your documents approved, you'd be more upset than I already am at this point. If I use the 10/20 approval date of my documents, they'd be way beyond the 10 business days.

I'm glad this forum exists.

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG - 2016 Tig SE for the wifey
So for everybody that submitted on or before Oct 25th, t that received an email verifying that VW has their documents and they where complete and now are being verified (blue eyeball), VW has till end of business tomorrow to get you a green check mark.

Fourplay

TDI
2014 A8L
Yes, thank you for providing that important disclaimer. I was attempting to portray the way VW's claims center is approaching it (which I don't believe is accurate - I think they simplified the settlement terms for the call center agents, hence the "4 weeks" response some people are getting).

As you said, technically, VW has 10 business days to take action (offer letter or declare ineligible) after you have all documents completed (green checkmarks).