Competent TB changes in MN/WI this Summer?

GANZGUT

Veteran Member
What sort of need exists out there among MN/WI TDI owners for competently performed TB replacement this Summer? If enough demand exists, I'd like to see if it may be possible to get Drivebiwire up here this Summer from Chicago- Pete charges $175 for A4's and $125 for A3's & B4's, parts not inclusive. Please read the post below and let's check interest.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/NonCGI/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=17;t=004628

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB
I will be there. I love to learn. I just did my oil pan and played with other things while I was "down under" (no pun intended)

I will need a timing belt change this Fall.

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
14 jsw 6m, 96 B4v, miss my a4 :(
Need mine done ASAP. Am planning on having Pete do it either up here or down there. Obviously up here would be easier if we can get enough people to interest Pete in coming up.

Brad

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat
My B4 is also a couple thousand miles overdue. Madison might make a decent halfway point between chicago and minneapolis.

brad

GANZGUT

Veteran Member
Originally posted by Brad:
My B4 is also a couple thousand miles overdue. Madison might make a decent halfway point between chicago and minneapolis.

brad
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">What some of us wouldn't do for your member #. . .

I think it should be remembered that Pete is to be compensated for his work, should there be enough interest and should he wish to travel up here.

If Pete cannot do this, maybe we can arrange another GTG where we have somebody or "somebodys"
with the proper tools and VAG-com. This site has excellent step-by-step instructions. I have the will, but have no special tools which are necessary to do the job properly.

In any case, I think somewhere in the Metro/Central MN area or Central WI area would be the best place as far as convenience/driving time goes on a weekend. Most of us live down that way in any case. (I live in the sticks up here in Brrrmidji. . .closer to drive to Winnipeg, MB than to Mpls, but not by much.)

GANZGUT

Veteran Member
I could certainly do Madison as well. What we need is a place to GTG, a time and date certain, and Pete's acquiescence.

fo fo weed

Veteran Member
TDI
98 NB
I have some friends in Madison; what accommodations would we need... garage, driveway, parking lot, lawn. If someone can give me an idea I'll see what I can do

GANZGUT

Veteran Member
I think a well-lit garage, a jack and jackstands would be all that's needed if we're only talking about TB's. Of course, minimizing the effect on the neighbors would probably be a wise move also.

I think we also need some dates and perhaps Pete to chime in on this one now. . .

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Off line a few people have contacted me about this and I am interested in showing up and doing this. I talked to the wife and she may want to come along and do some shopping.

One of the suggestions was to do the belts on Saturday and then have a GTG with the wives and S/O's on Sunday.

If you guys have a garage with an air compressor this will make the job very easy to do.

I would be interested in perhaps the 2nd week of July, but I am open to any suggestions on dates etc.

DB

jimmyz

Veteran Member
Kenosha, WI - former home of the late AMC
TDI
TDI Jetta GLS, '99.5, Silver Arrow, 2010 Jetta Salsa Red TDI Cup Edition w/DSG, 2 x 2016 TDI Touareg Execs
I am currently running over the 60k recommended change interval and was planning a change myself as soon as I order the parts and special tools. I have a Bentleys manual and CD. I just got my VAG-COM but haven't really played with it yet. Second week of July might be good for me also. I'm in Kenosha, WI a bit far from MN but Madison isn't too far.
I have lots of space, 8 acres and a compressor but unfortunately not a garage with a concrete floor only a large dirtfloor outbuilding and lots of shadetree mechanic area, not ideal for engine work.

GANZGUT

Veteran Member
The second or third week of July would probably work out fine. My friend's brother and sister in law live in Madison, so it gives me an opportunity to visit them there should the TB GTG be held in Madison environs.

There is now an excellent chance I'll be moving to the sticks (Montana) late summer, so I'm real anxious to get this TB changed soon. Zippo VW help out there.

One thing I notice, some of the TB parts at dieselgeek and german auto parts are sold out.

lifer

Veteran Member
Iwould be interested in this tb get together also.
I just ordered my parts and special tools to do the tb. I will have everything but a laptop comp.
I think I can do the job but I am not familiar with the vag-com software and will need some help figuring it out.I may have to do it before the get together happens thuogh because the miles are coming fast.

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
14 jsw 6m, 96 B4v, miss my a4 :(
I am definitely in. I have the parts. Just set a date and I will make sure I am available.

Thanks Pete!

Moo Car

Veteran Member
I’m in for a summer GTG. Work on cars Saturday and maybe go to the Wisconsin Dells or Devils Lake State Park with our families on Sunday?

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
Hey guys 2nd weekend in July is my target date. July (friday night) 12, 13 and 14. I figure drive up on Friday night get some sleep and we can start in on the cars first thing.

Any suggestions on hotels up that way where we can all get rooms at a central location?

I am up for the outing on Sunday this way we can be social with the significant others...imagine that Lori is actually going with so I have to be social and not buried under the hood of a car for at least one day
(Saturday we can hunker down and knock out a few cars).

DB

DeafBug

TDI
2001 NB
Sounds like the location is in Madison. I have a friend who has a air compressor that I can borrow. Brand new one! He hardly uses it. However it is quite big, not something that I can toss it in the back of my bug and drive to Madison. If the GTG is in MN, then all we need is a garage. My garage is quite small, a normal two car garage size with a lot of junk. (Need to get a shed!)

Newguy has a spacious garage and air compressor! However he has held the last two MN GTG. Not sure if he wants it at his place again.

If you come to MN, Sunday could be at Mall of America.

DeafBug

TDI
2001 NB
Originally posted by jimmyz:
I'm in Kenosha, WI a bit far from MN but Madison isn't too far.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Would it be easier for you to drive to Hammond and meet with Pete at your own time?

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
Have we determined a location in Madison yet for that weekend? This way the wifes and significant others can make the hotel reservations, and plan out Saturday accordingly while the guys tinker around. Provide an address so we have an idea of local attractions and accomodations.

GANZGUT

Veteran Member
DeafBug:

Madison's just fine- no trouble with the general location. However, we still need a person or persons willing to part with a shed/garage at a specific address for a Saturday, let alone invite a gaggle of strangers over. . . Somehow, I don't think doing TB work in the parking lot of a hotel is quite suitable.

Then again, the Minneapolis/Saint Paul area works also. I'd be OK with either location. (I'd invite you all up here, distance issues aside
. I've got a BBQ grill and beer for later, but with a one-car garage and one-lane driveway, the writing is on the wall. . .I don't have a proper place to work.)

I think a location centered around where MOST of us live in MN/WI is best. Just my $0.02 worth. Please feel free to E-mail me to discuss, etc.

I gotta order those parts pronto. . .

binky

Drivbiwire, if I order all the parts and have them with me, how much do you charge for the belt replacement? Can you tell me what your experience is, how many of these things have you done? If you do not charge too much and have allot of experience with them you can count me in. My belt should have been replaced already.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
A3 Jettas and B4 Passats I charge 125 for the timing belt

A4 TDI's NB, Jetta and Golf $175

Total number of belts done? Da know, lost count after 150...no joke Last weekend I did 6 total for that week was 9.

I was thinking if we can find a driveway somewhere I would have an excuse to by my tent for doing the timing belts.

I am still open for suggestions in terms of other locations so please post away.

DB

aero50zoom

i am sorry i don't have room for the GTG, but i will supply a case of MGD,and could use some vagcom work. i know this is the GTG forum, but a lot of people never access this forum ,would it be advantages to post under another heading to get more response?

david

jimmyz

Veteran Member
Kenosha, WI - former home of the late AMC
TDI
TDI Jetta GLS, '99.5, Silver Arrow, 2010 Jetta Salsa Red TDI Cup Edition w/DSG, 2 x 2016 TDI Touareg Execs
Well my parts and special tools order from vwparts.com has shipped and is on the way, so in a few days I'll be all set. I also picked up some of the other tools at Sears. I'd like to join this gtg but if there is not a better location than my own gravel driveway and outbuilding then I'll probably be on my own. I'd even consider going to MSP if thats the concensus, my wifes always wanted to see the Mall of America anyway.

GANZGUT

Veteran Member
Gang:

I spoke with Drivbiwire this afternoon concerning TB parts and related matters. We discussed locations/logistics/requirements for the potential MN/WI TB GTG. DB said having the GTG in central MN/MPLS area poses no problem as there are plenty of places those non-gearheads traveling with us could investigate. Pete reiterated to me that doing TB's require very little in the way of physical facilities so having a huge garage is NOT a requirement as far as TB jobs are concerned. It could even be done in a carport or auto rallying-size tent on a hard flat asphalt/concrete surface. The plan remains the same- do TB's Saturday, relaxation on Sunday.

I'll stir the pot: Whoever has an inkling to host, I am quite willing to take a vacation day on Friday to drive down and assist in preparations/whatever. Drop me email and let's talk about it.

binky

Originally posted by Drivbiwire:
A3 Jettas and B4 Passats I charge 125 for the timing belt

A4 TDI's NB, Jetta and Golf $175

Total number of belts done? Da know, lost count after 150...no joke Last weekend I did 6 total for that week was 9.

I was thinking if we can find a driveway somewhere I would have an excuse to by my tent for doing the timing belts.

I am still open for suggestions in terms of other locations so please post away.

DB
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Wow, thats allot! Thanks for the reply. Two more questions and I am in. What kind of warranty with the belt change, and do you accept credit cards?

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
The warranty is covered under the VW parts warranty. Since I use the OEM parts as does DieselGeek (reason I suggest using him as teh supplier) thwarranty is (1) year 12,000 miles.

For the life of the belt 60 or 80K depending on the year of the car, I will adjust the timing and tensioner as well as scan for codes for the life of the belt free of charge (obviously if you live near me).

Regarding payment I accept cash or check.

DB

GANZGUT

Veteran Member
This post having been returned to its proper purpose, I can assure everyone that plans for the GTG are still alive and kicking. At this point, we are still talking about July 13 & 14, 2002. While details still have to be worked out, the event is scheduled to happen in Minneapolis. More to come.

Post away or email me.