Common Beetle Issues?

nick1994

TDI
2013 VW Beetle TDI - 52k
For my aunts 2013 TDI Beetle w/ 44k miles. Just got it back from the dealer.

Squeaking over bumps and steering wheel growling while turning. Dealer replaced sway bar links, subframe had to be removed to replace them.

Stopwatch on dash lost a second. Was pointing in the wrong direction, but still worked, just showed wrong time. Dealer replaced ($900+)

Alternator pulley chirped and made ping ping noises. They replaced that too.

Last year they replaced the compressor because the A/C would randomly stop working constantly.

Last year center console replaced because defective latch, constant rattling

Battery died after 18 months

Power window fell off track, dealer had to tighten the motors/regulators.

This thing has been so troublesome, fortunately she bought an extended warranty. We're waiting for VW's offer to buy it back. So far it's been well over $4,000 worth of work done under warranty to the car. Probably closer to $5,000 if you factor in the hood control they replaced while trying to find the A/C issue.

Just wondering if these are common problems.

GTOguy

TDI
'13 Beetle TDI 6spd, Rawtek/Malone 2.0 Eco
The only reason ours went back for work was the inter cooler icing problem. 38,000 miles and counting.

Big Poppa Pump

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDI
I am nearing 40k and have had no problems knock on wood. Sorry you have so much of your time invested in these problems instead of being able to drive it.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
The growling when turning sounds like a couple of car we got from the body shop - they had replaced a control arm and tie rod, but the rack got jarred and marred the gears. Other cars have a tight tolerance with the clock spring under the steering wheel that makes some weird noises.

A few of the early gauge clusters for turbos had that issue. Don't remember if there was a TSB about it or not, but I did one on the first TSI that had them.

I can see AC problems showing up more often in Arizona. There are several thread on here about the control solenoid failing on the all the newer cars. And again heat is the enemy of batteries so I can see if failing in the Arizona heat. Some customers get 18 months while others get 3 years when I was in Florida.

BTW - move the temp knob off the MAX AC setting one "click". It forces the compressor to full load and never lets it idle back when you reach a comfortable temperature.

What Beetle didn't have window issues? They were so worried about the clips failing that they over looked the motor programming and the extra forces from the LARGE frame less window. Done right that problem should be fixed and done.

What is the "hood control" you had repaired??

Jason

GTOguy

TDI
'13 Beetle TDI 6spd, Rawtek/Malone 2.0 Eco
Thanks for the input Jason, makes me feel a little bit better.

nickfancher1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDI - 39k - DSG
The hood control was some sort of electrical thing under the dash I believe. The A/C would not blow cold and after driving and playing with it it would suddenly click on cold. They couldn't diagnose it so the 3rd trip back to the dealer they replaced the hood control module thing and that didn't fix the issue, so they replaced the compressor and that fixed the issue. A/C isn't the best sometimes though. Oh well.

The dealer actually had to contact some engineers across the country to try to figure out the A/C issues. It was their decision on the hood control at first.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
huh??!! What the heck is a "hood control"? Maybe post some info from the repair order when they replaced that, please?

Jason

nickfancher1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDI - 39k - DSG
Alright I dug out the stack of service records. I was wrong. It was the A/C control head, not hood control. Also they replaced the ambient air temperature sensor on a separate visit, forgot about that.

Last edited:

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
Pardon my french, but that tech is a *&^* idiot!!:mad::mad::mad:

First thing I'm looking at, if takes a while before starting to cool down, is the N280 solenoid in the compressor. When the problem first starts its very sporadic, but eventually it will happen every time.

Tech line is only as good as the information the tech provides. And some are better at providing assistance than others (other words, digging through the BS we tell them to help find the real problem;) )

I'm stopping before I get on a multi page rant....

Jason, dealer technician

forcedfedbug

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta, Totalled late 11. 2012 Passat TDI w/DSG and a 2012 Golf TDI. Golf traded for a 2013 beetle
AC stopped working

For my aunts 2013 TDI Beetle w/ 44k miles. Just got it back from the dealer.
Last year they replaced the compressor because the A/C would randomly stop working constantly.
We're waiting for VW's offer to buy it back. So far it's been well over $4,000 worth of work done under warranty to the car. Probably closer to $5,000 if you factor in the hood control they replaced while trying to find the A/C issue.

Just wondering if these are common problems.
My AC stopped working at 38,000 miles and I live in Oregon where its not hot most of the year. I scanned the codes myself and it gave a Hi Presure Sensor short to ground code in my Central Electronics section. Took it to the deal and just happen to get a tech that owned a 13 beetle TDI. After 2 hours of looking for the cause he replaced the sensor with ONE HE BOUGHT FOR HIS OWN CAR. That should tell you something there.
At any rate since it was out of warranty they only charged me for the techs senor. Since he bought it a year earlier that came to $80 for a total of 4 hours of work and the part.

Ron

Jimmy Coconuts

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW, 2010 Jetta, 2011 Q7 Prestige, 2012 A3 Premium, 2013 A3 Premium Plus, 2014 Beetle, 2015 Jetta
Aside from 36 mpg average fuel economy, lots of rattles, and a generally rough ride in my 2014, the only thing that concerns me is the pushbutton start. Some days it just won't crank the engine.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
Have the push button checked out. We see a few of them fail and car won't start, or worse, won't shut off.

Mine is slightly sporty, but I have ridden in a few that ride harsh. I set of better tires usually fixes that up.

My average MPG is 44.5, in town, bumper to bumper and stop light traffic, highest posted is 50mph, though mostly 40mph. Extra heavy (read - stupid) traffic on hot days and I drop to 38MPG.

Jason