Comfort control module

Tditi

TDI
2005 volkswagen passat black tdi
Well following up on my alternator thread I had stated after I got my alternator situation squared away that I was having problems with some electric gremlins. Lights and locks going off on their own, windows working when they want, trunk not releasing etc...
I think I found my problem. Decided to check the ccm today and first thing I noticed was how saturated the carpet was. When I got to the box I also noticed the cover had a little melt to it. Got the cover off and found the module sitting in water halfway melted. So now I have 2 problems. 1) where can I order a new ccm? and 2) how do I stop water from collecting there?
I'll post a picture if I can figure it out.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Well following up on my alternator thread I had stated after I got my alternator situation squared away that I was having problems with some electric gremlins. Lights and locks going off on their own, windows working when they want, trunk not releasing etc...
I think I found my problem. Decided to check the ccm today and first thing I noticed was how saturated the carpet was. When I got to the box I also noticed the cover had a little melt to it. Got the cover off and found the module sitting in water halfway melted. So now I have 2 problems. 1) where can I order a new ccm? and 2) how do I stop water from collecting there?
I'll post a picture if I can figure it out.
Water comes in from the sunroof drains and the cowl drains.
Clean them both out. The sunroof drains come in right in front of the doors. Open the front doors and you will see the tube sticking down from there. Cut off the duck bill end. Then under the battery is the cowl drains. I just pulled the rubber piece out on mine.
Then for the CCM... well thats the fun part. You will need one from another passat wagon that's like yours, unless you are good with a computer and use the kw1281test software to modify a sedan ccm from a jetta,golf,or passat sedan.
Look for part outs on marketplace or something like that.
I am getting a parts wagon soon, which may have a good one, but I am not sure.

Tditi

TDI
I see a ton online on eBay, does the part number have to match exactly?

MEgearhead

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5, 4L, 4G
You cannot go only by the part number stamped on the module. See: https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/trunk-release.491820

If you look up the part number in the parts catalog it will have a "paint code" following the part number. This code is not on the actual part, but you can find it using VCDS. Like Mozambiquer said, either you get a module from the exact same style of vehicle, or you have to reprogram it. You cannot do that with VCDS. More info is in the linked thread. Been there done that still have the incorrect module sitting in the shop (sort of like a T-shirt).

Tditi

TDI
You cannot go only by the part number stamped on the module. See: https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/trunk-release.491820

If you look up the part number in the parts catalog it will have a "paint code" following the part number. This code is not on the actual part, but you can find it using VCDS. Like Mozambiquer said, either you get a module from the exact same style of vehicle, or you have to reprogram it. You cannot do that with VCDS. More info is in the linked thread. Been there done that still have the incorrect module sitting in the shop (sort of like a T-shirt).
I read your post but don't quite understand. My box has a whole bunch of other numbers on it besides the 959 799c. They're listed underneath that writing in smaller letters. Would matching those numbers up ensure that it came out of a passat wagon? I took a picture of the box but can't figure out how to post pictures on here.

Tditi

TDI
Also when searching for a replacement, would a gasser wagon use the same module?

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Also when searching for a replacement, would a gasser wagon use the same module?
Yes, a gasser one will be the same.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Re the sunroof drains...

Yes, make sure they are clear, but more importantly you have to make sure they are attached.

Open the sunroof, and pour a cup of water into each front corner of the sunroof tray. The water should drain from the bib in the door jamb. If you get nothing, then the tubes are likely detached from the bibs in the door pillar.

MEgearhead

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5, 4L, 4G
As long as the gasser model was a similarly equipped North American model it should work.

I could not make any connection between the paint code and the extra numbers printed on the outside of the two different CCMs I had.

In the catalog there are 6 different "paint codes" listed for part number 1C0 959 799C applicable to an '02-'05 Passat wagon with front and rear power windows. 07X, 085, 07Y, 07Z, 081, and 080. However, I think all NA models are lhd, have front/rear power windows, and anti- theft, and do not have interior monitoring, or power folding mirrors. That narrows it down to pretty much one I think. If you are buying used the actual "paint code" doesn't matter because the seller never knows what it is. The main thing is that it's from the same model with the same equipment. I'm not 100% sure, but I think NA Passat wagon is enough.

If you want to know what paint code part is installed on your car, using VCDS, go to central convenience. It will show:

Part No: 1C0 959 799 C
Component: XX Komfortgerát HLO XXXX

The XXs are alphanumeric characters. If you add a zero in front of the XX after "Component:", that's your paint code. Mine shows 08, so the paint code for my CCM is 008. If I were ordering a new part from the dealer I would order 1C0 959 799 C 008.

Last edited:

Tditi

TDI
Re the sunroof drains...

Yes, make sure they are clear, but more importantly you have to make sure they are attached.

Open the sunroof, and pour a cup of water into each front corner of the sunroof tray. The water should drain from the bib in the door jamb. If you get nothing, then the tubes are likely detached from the bibs in the door pillar.
When I clipped the drains yesterday I was surprised at the amount of water that had drained out. I will do your test when I get off work today. One side of the module and harness melted so I clipped that side and left the other side in. So far as I can tell I lost the ability to lock and unlock with my key fob, my ability to open my trunk with the door switch or key fob, and power to the sunroof. Ac, cruise control, interior lights all work. The only one that really bothers me is not being able to open the trunk as the previous owner broke a key off in there and for the life of me I can't get it out. Also when I find a replacement I'd like to move the module to a different location up higher in the dash somewhere if possible.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Mine had the same issue - both sides had tubes off internally and plugged up bibs. Despite glueing and zip-tieing the hoses to the bibs, I still relocated my CCM up into the dash behind the headlamp switch.

Ample room up there, and why run the risk - these cars are prone to water leaks frying modules...

Mozambiquer

TDI
I just picked up an 05 passat wagon for parts.
Haven't pulled the carpet up to look at the ccm, but the floor is dry and it doesn't smell musty even though its been sitting a couple years, so I have hopes.
I can check it tomorrow.

Tditi

TDI
I just picked up an 05 passat wagon for parts.
Haven't pulled the carpet up to look at the ccm, but the floor is dry and it doesn't smell musty even though its been sitting a couple years, so I have hopes.
I can check it tomorrow.
Yep definitely let me know

caffeine

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Allroad w/04 BHW/02X conversion, 00 ALH Jetta
In the catalog there are 6 different "paint codes" listed for part number 1C0 959 799C applicable to an '02-'05 Passat wagon with front and rear power windows. 07X, 085, 07Y, 07Z, 081, and 080. However, I think all NA models are lhd, have front/rear power windows, and anti- theft, and do not have interior monitoring, or power folding mirrors. That narrows it down to pretty much one I think. If you are buying used the actual "paint code" doesn't matter because the seller never knows what it is. The main thing is that it's from the same model with the same equipment. I'm not 100% sure, but I think NA Passat wagon is enough.
Actually, power folding mirrors WERE an option in North American B5.5 Passats, and there is some difference between sedan and wagon versions (hatch locking logic, which is also the main difference between Golf and Jetta CCMs). It is way more ideal if the OP can just setup kw1281test; it significantly increases the amount of donors out there, plus the Mk4 platform donors (Jetta, Golf, Beetle) are better anyway since they almost never get soaked with water (mounted high under the dash instead of in the floor).

Tditi

TDI
Update. I got one from a matching wagon and am happy to report I am fully functional again as far as I can tell. I have 2 questions though. As stated earlier part of the old module melted, it also damaged one of the 2 harnesses. I was planning on splicing the remaining good wiring to the new harness that came with the module. However I plugged in the non damaged harness to the new module and everything now works. So, am I good leaving only the one harness plugged in and forgetting about the other one? Or am I missing something to where I should still connect the second harness?
Question 2- While everything works now manually I lost control with my key fob. I think I need to reprogram it. I see online that you need 2 keys to do it. Are these keys fairly cheap to get a second one cut or are they a more expensive chip key? And anywhere I can go besides the dealership to get a second one? Thanks!

Mozambiquer

TDI
Update. I got one from a matching wagon and am happy to report I am fully functional again as far as I can tell. I have 2 questions though. As stated earlier part of the old module melted, it also damaged one of the 2 harnesses. I was planning on splicing the remaining good wiring to the new harness that came with the module. However I plugged in the non damaged harness to the new module and everything now works. So, am I good leaving only the one harness plugged in and forgetting about the other one? Or am I missing something to where I should still connect the second harness?
Question 2- While everything works now manually I lost control with my key fob. I think I need to reprogram it. I see online that you need 2 keys to do it. Are these keys fairly cheap to get a second one cut or are they a more expensive chip key? And anywhere I can go besides the dealership to get a second one? Thanks!
You can program the key fob for unlocking with vcds.

caffeine

Veteran Member
TDI
You mean that one of the two CCM plugs is not plugged in at all? One of the plugs is used just for the fob antenna + alarm specific wiring (like the alarm horn/siren).

Tditi

TDI
Correct, I only have 1 ccm harness plugged in right now. It is the larger of the 2. The other harness melted and fused to the original ccm. I was going to splice together the new harness I received with the new ccm to my existing wiring but I gained back all functionality that I lost...minus the key fob.

caffeine

Veteran Member
TDI
Correct, I only have 1 ccm harness plugged in right now. It is the larger of the 2. The other harness melted and fused to the original ccm. I was going to splice together the new harness I received with the new ccm to my existing wiring but I gained back all functionality that I lost...minus the key fob.
Besides that the fob will need to be programmed, you'll want to splice in the second connector for sure. That's the one that contains the remote antenna (receives the signal from the fob; you might get some range without it, but not full range), alarm horn/siren wires, hood switch, and some others. I'm guessing that your alarm horn/siren does not sound when you lock the car, because that second connector isn't plugged in.

It's not like VW just tossed some extra wires in the harness for fun; that second connector has a purpose.

Mozambiquer

TDI
Currently I do not have vcds
You won't be able to program the key fob with the two fob method, as thats for if you have one that's already programmed.
You'll need vcds to do it. You'll also want to put a new plug on. I may take a look at my parts car to see if it has a good plug. The ccm on it had gotten wet, but the plugs looked good.