Colorado Emissions Test

Conan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GLS TDI
You need the VCDS. Somebody around you has to have one. You're going to have to go through this every year too, so having the tools to modify your car to pass emissions is a must.

If you want it to pass you're going to have to put a bit of effort into decreasing the fueling. It'd probably have passed with the stock injector nozzles...
I've been working with guru Anuthee in Golden. He's got a Kerma tune for me, but suggested that I not load it before trying to emission. I'm definitely going to get a VCDS, but I'm looking at which model to order. The bummer is that I don't know of any shop that can tweak my IQ, EGR, etc, and do the opacity test themselves. $45-$70 a pop to see if I'm passing yet. The bummer is that I'm the first TDI that I've heard of that has ever failed to many peoples' knowlege in CO, and my car isn't visibly smoking at all.

What about additives? Would 911 or Cetane Boost possibly cut down the smoking? There's a biodiesel place near me (Santa Fe/ Belleview?), but it looks pretty sleazy, and it always has looked closed when I drove by.

As I posted in another thread, I found out last night that my air filter is by far the filthiest one I've ever seen. Popped a clean paper one in there-- hopefully that was the problem.

UFO

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle
The bummer is that I'm the first TDI that I've heard of that has ever failed to many peoples' knowlege in CO, and my car isn't visibly smoking at all.

What about additives? Would 911 or Cetane Boost possibly cut down the smoking? There's a biodiesel place near me (Santa Fe/ Belleview?), but it looks pretty sleazy, and it always has looked closed when I drove by.

As I posted in another thread, I found out last night that my air filter is by far the filthiest one I've ever seen. Popped a clean paper one in there-- hopefully that was the problem.
I'm sure some biodiesel will help, and the air filter will definitely help, but I'm pretty sure most of your problem lies with higher flowing nozzles installed without a tune. A properly tuned turbodiesel engine will have more than enough air to burn fuel clean enough to pass the soot test.

OTOH, if Anuthee thinks the tune will not help, I'd listen. There could be another problem that needs attention; maybe your nozzles are unbalanced or you have a compression problem in one cylinder...hard to tell over the intertubes.

Conan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GLS TDI
There could be another problem that needs attention; maybe your nozzles are unbalanced or you have a compression problem in one cylinder...hard to tell over the intertubes.
I had the nozzles balanced by Kerma before putting them in. Haven't done the comp test yet, but it couldn't hurt. I do get quite a bit of white smoke for the first half a block or so when I start it cold. I've never been able to generate enough black smoke under load that I can see it from the driver's seat.

herbie

Colo. emissions

I have Power Plus 520s and a Rocket Chip 4 in my 2003 Jetta and all ways do an adaptation to lean out the smoke prior to testing. I once failed the test and will not do that again. I know someone in Aurora who can help. Herbie

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Another item that may help is to ensure the opacity tester is warmed up for 15 minutes prior to the test. For some reason it is very difficult to get a test tech to understand simple things like looking at the smoke, or lack thereof, and relate it to the ridiculous number the machine is printing out. Seeing no smoke and having a 30-40-60% readout is fraud, but you can't get anyone to pull their head out of their <anal sphincter> and think about it. I am beginning to think that schools have been dumbed down specifically to produce idiots that work in such places as emissions testing facilities or other government positions.

Some video with a decent camera would give you ammunition to go to the DOT and complain.

The last time I dealt with this issue was in Arizona where I took a '98 Jetta that was noticeably smoking. It passed. This was in December and the tech there told me they kept their opacity tester in the office to keep it warm.

Last edited:

Conan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GLS TDI
Another item that may help is to ensure the opacity tester is warmed up for 15 minutes prior to the test.

That's very useful information, and something that never occurred to me. BOTH times I failed it was a near-freezing day, and I'm sure the machines were cold, as I was the first/only customer. I'm getting a very noticeable power increase with the clean air filter, so I'm thinking I should be good. I'm going straight to the guru after I pass, and having my chip tune loaded. This car is pulling so strong already-- I'm stoked that it should be even better! I don't imagine that PP520s and the stock tune is optimal.

UFO

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle
That's very useful information, and something that never occurred to me. BOTH times I failed it was a near-freezing day, and I'm sure the machines were cold, as I was the first/only customer. I'm getting a very noticeable power increase with the clean air filter, so I'm thinking I should be good. I'm going straight to the guru after I pass, and having my chip tune loaded. This car is pulling so strong already-- I'm stoked that it should be even better! I don't imagine that PP520s and the stock tune is optimal.
That is actually a VERY good point. A tester in Parker actually will not run tests on colder days, and my Liberty was reported to have barely passed on it's last test, because the temperature was in the low 30sF. And it's completely stock, running mostly biodiesel.

BadMonKey

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Focus ST
Don't forget you have to pass this test every 2 years. Your go fast modifications are going to make this a headache. Your stock clutch wont hold up very long with the added hp (even worse for the auto-tragic tranny). Your also putting added stress on a turbo with high millage working at a high elevation.

Seems like your putting the cart before the horse?

Conan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GLS TDI
I'm pretty sure that '03 and older have to get checked every year. I've heard from a lot of people who are very experienced at this tell me that there are many much smokier tunes than mine out there that have never had a problem passing. I'm not sure what 'stage' my tune is, but I was told to expect CR numbers (140hp, 230ft-lbs) without too much smoke. I think my problem was a perfect storm of winter fuel, cold ambient temperatures, bigger nozzles, cold test equipment, unbelievably dirty air filter, and picking the wrong testing stations. I'll find out on Friday!

And yes, it was dumb to do the nozzles first. Common wisdom is that TDIs pass, period. That is, if you don't add six aggravating factors. Live and learn, I guess.

BadMonKey

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Focus ST
I'm pretty sure that '03 and older have to get checked every year. I've heard from a lot of people who are very experienced at this tell me that there are many much smokier tunes than mine out there that have never had a problem passing. I'm not sure what 'stage' my tune is, but I was told to expect CR numbers (140hp, 230ft-lbs) without too much smoke. I think my problem was a perfect storm of winter fuel, cold ambient temperatures, bigger nozzles, cold test equipment, unbelievably dirty air filter, and picking the wrong testing stations. I'll find out on Friday!

And yes, it was dumb to do the nozzles first. Common wisdom is that TDIs pass, period. That is, if you don't add six aggravating factors. Live and learn, I guess.
Mine was every 2 years, not sure where they draw the line between models.

I'm assuming your referring to hp at the crank as jumping from 90hp at the wheel to 140hp is a huge jump? In that case I don't remember what the stock crank hp is for the ALH.

Conan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GLS TDI
BMK, it looks like you're going to have to start doing it every year now. From the CO gov't site:

Small fleets and privately-owned diesel vehicles take part in the Diesel Opacity Inspection Program. This program is for all light-duty diesel vehicles as well as heavy-duty diesel vehicles not subject to the large fleet self-certification program. The Diesel Opacity Inspection Program requires that eligible vehicles be inspected on an annual basis by private, state-licensed diesel inspection stations. New light-duty diesel vehicles are exempt from testing for four years. The program applies only to the Automobile Inspection and Readjustment Program area and utilizes a loaded mode dynamometer-based test. List of diesel inspection stations , including locations and fees. (PDF format, 7 pages)

Conan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GLS TDI
Okay, I finally remembered to take a picture of the dirty K&N. This is the Colorado noonday sun through it. Notice that you can see a little bit of sun through the bottom, but not through the middle. I think the round, lighter area in the middle that looks kind of like a lens flare is actually the sun.

This didn't work as well as I had hoped. Anyway, it looks like someone sprayed a can of flat black Krylon on the filter. My car is so much happier now!

Conan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GLS TDI
Woo Hoo! I finally went to a place that a fellow local TDI owner had recommended. With the standard being no more than 35% opacity at 40,50, and 60MPH, I had failed as badly as 49%,36%,38%. Today, I got 2%,2%,1%! It's a miracle! ;)

dcullen

TDI
2010 TDI Jetta
Woo Hoo! I finally went to a place that a fellow local TDI owner had recommended. With the standard being no more than 35% opacity at 40,50, and 60MPH, I had failed as badly as 49%,36%,38%. Today, I got 2%,2%,1%! It's a miracle! ;)
More likely, you got a test station that is operating their equipment properly. You might very well have passed before at this location. My first inspection in Ohio, I watched the operator place the sensors so that the tail pipe was between the light source and the pick up. Wonder why I got a 90%+ opacity? Had to get the supervisor to properly setup the test and passed easily.

Last edited:

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium

No miracle, just a competent operator for once.

Don't forget where this place is!! :) LOL

Bill

dcullen

TDI
2010 TDI Jetta
Okay, I finally remembered to take a picture of the dirty K&N. This is the Colorado noonday sun through it. Notice that you can see a little bit of sun through the bottom, but not through the middle. I think the round, lighter area in the middle that looks kind of like a lens flare is actually the sun.

This didn't work as well as I had hoped. Anyway, it looks like someone sprayed a can of flat black Krylon on the filter. My car is so much happier now!
And hopefully replaced with a OEM filter. Used Oil analysis on TDI strongly suggests that KN is not the way to go on TDI's, not to mention failed MAF's

UFO

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle
Where did you go? Enquiring minds want to know.

BTW, congratulations. Sounds like your engine is working just fine. You had me worried for a bit.