Cold Weather Options: Heaters for Fuel, Tank, Engine

JustLuckey

Veteran Member
TDI
Non-VW: 2016 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
I have been doing searches for cold weather options (heaters and ways to prevent the cold from affecting my 2 vehicles: 2006.5 Jetta TDI & 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins). I already use a couple of these options, but decided to share some of my research with everyone. The purpose is to put this information into a single thread, as I had to read through dozens of threads on this site and others to come up with this info. Maybe someone can better format this and turn it into a 'sticky', if useful.

Some of these options are geared towards biodiesel blend users, but most are for those that live in cold weather regions and concerned about warming/fuel gelling issues with normal diesel.

FAQ: Does my VW TDI have a engine (block or coolant) heater?
EDIT: Upon futher searching, this is not a cut and dry question/answer. It appears that a true 'block heater' is/was available for older TDIs (90s models, possibly into early 2000s). But the current heaters that are put on certain Canadian models (dependong on trim) are recirculating coolant heaters (like or same as frost heater). U.S. doesn't have this option from the factory or dealer.

Company: Frostheater
Type: Coolant heater
Purpose: Heat & circulate coolant
Power: 110VAC
Site: www.frostheater.com
Cost: $120-140 +ship (depending on model)
Notes: Very common in TDI community, many references on tdiclub.com forums

Company: Diesel Injection Service
Type: In-line Fuel Heater
Purpose: Heats fuel before it reaches fuel filter
Power: 12VDC (150 Watt)
Site: www.disnet.com (item not listed on site, must call)
Cost: $52 + ship
Notes: I have been using this in my 2005 Dodge 2500 Cummins for almost a year while running B50 thru 100% D2 and have had a very good experience. DisNet uses them on all of their VW vehicles in their fleet. My friend has been using it for 2 winters and is very happy with it.

Company: Nomad / Parker / Racor
Type: In-line fuel heater
Power: 12 or 24 VDC (300 watt)
Site: www.parker.com (go to PRODUCTS | HEATERS)
Cost: Unsure
Notes: I found this online, but have not researched it. At 300 watt, it is double the power output of the DisNet option, which works fine for my Dodge Cummins, I think it's overkill for my VW in PA. Maybe in colder locations, this would be a good option.

Company: Fryer to Fuel
Type: In-line fuel heater
Power: DC
Site: www.fryer-to-fuel.com
Cost: $160-165 (depending on size)
Notes: I have not researched these much, as (with above) it's designed for WVO heating and is probably overkill for little to no biodiesel blends (what I'm using it for), plus it's more than twice the cost of the DisNet option.

In-line fuel heaters and other heaters can also be found at www.arctic-fox.com, but I know nothing about them, they could very well be a great product.

Company: Fryer to Fuel
Type: Heater Wrap for Fuel Filter Housing
Purpose: For wrapping around fuel filter housing to prevent gelling at the fuel filter.
Site: www.fryer-to-fuel.com
Cost: $60-90 (depending on size)
Power: 12VDC
Notes: I have the small version and it works well on my Jetta TDI.

Company: Ultraheat
Type: Fuel Tank Heater Pad
Purpose: Warming fuel in tank
Site: http://www.ultraheat.com/rv_products.html
Power: 120VAC, 13.5VDC, or Both/dual
Cost: $91-130 (depending on size)
Notes: My friend (who runs B100 year round in his Ram 2500 Cummins in North NJ) has one and has positive results (combined with fuel filter wrap, and inline fuel heater)

Zerostart (http://www.zerostart.com/coldStart/diesel_cold_Start_technology.asp) also has some cold weather heating options. I don't have any experience with them.

Kat also makes heaters (magnetic & silicone pads running on AC, I believe). Google "Kat Heaters" for more info.

Front end covers or blankets could also be considered a item for this thread, as they do help insulate the engine compartment. If you search, you will probably find vendors that sell them custom made, but many people make them out of cardboard or use/cut pipe insulation and insert into the grill.

Since some of you also have other (non-VW) diesels...
For my Dodge Ram 2500, I will be purchasing the cold weather kit (Radiator cover, 2 electric heater blankets, and wiring harness for the OEM block heater). Cost $160-200 depending on vendor.
The cover is sold seperately, as well. Cost: ~$120

Obviously, there's other heating products and options out there. Maybe this is a good starting post for others to provide some info on other products.

I'll try to check back on this thread periodically & correct any info (OEM block heater?) and add any good info in responses, to keep the info consolidated.

Regards,
JustLuckey

Last edited:

Concat

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS TDi
See I've been struggling with the concept of an engine heater in my 05 Jetta. I've been told that there is no block heater available at all for the TDi. All you can get is a circulating coolant heater. Which is arguably better. Anyways, I know my vehicle has one installed because the maintenance reports I got states "engine heater" installed. They also refer to it as a block heater... so which is it? Can you put a block heater in the TDI or not?

I live in Canada, and this heater was installed after it was sold from the dealership.

It's snowing here as we speak. Sigh... winter comes early. Didn't plug in my car and it must be about 0C or -5C. Started up with no issues.

I'm not concerned with diesel gelling because they are required to sell winterized fuel in Canada. Even still, I'll just use an additive with cetane boost. Are additives not sufficient to stop gelling for your 06? How cold does it get in PA?

Last edited:

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
Concat it's not a block heater. It's impossible to have a block heater in a TDI there is no freeze plug in the block!

The circulating or tank heater is perfect. It warms the coolant up to almost operating temp. and the car blows heat when you turn it on. Makes starting easier and those frosty mornings.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
With the TDI you should be fine with the frost heater and that is it. I used my car plenty in -30 F with no problems. You don't really need the inline heater with this as well because the return fuel is warmed from the engine and it flows into the filter to help keep the incoming fuel warm enough to prevent gelling. There should always be enough fuel in the lines to get the car running and warm (with heater plugged in) before gelling is an issue. The fuels are treated after a certain date but if you drive south (vacation), fill up and drive north without filling back up then depending on how far south you still may freeze. Or if you have fuel that is in the tank before the winter fuels were switched. But again if you are plugged in you won't really have to worry about it. Also, watch out for any heater other then the frost one as the oil pan heaters have started cars on fire before. That is likely the only other choice anyone has put on a tdi car. There isn't frost plugs to put a block heater in so and inline is the only way. Plus an inline warms much better. The oil gets warmer faster because of the oil cooler swapping heat to the oil. The cheapest most effective way is the frost heater for the tdi's and it will cover almost all the basses. You could install a cab plug in heater as we have some on the vehicles at the mine I work at. Terry Frost has the in line heaters for ALL 4 cyl VW diesels (1970's-present). With the Dodge. I would fin and inline and make it work. Put the heater on the lowest point possible on the engine and let it go to work. There tends to be a little more room and a few more hoses to choose from on the trucks (maybe not if it is new enough). I don't know the fuel system on that so you may need and inline heater for that. VW designed there diesels to start and run in cold weather without having problems. Never hurts to use Stanadyne either (cetane boost, anti gel, cleaner, lubricator, VAG aproved)

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 VW PASSAT GLS TDI '06 Audi A4 q Avant 6-Spd Sport Pkg
JustLuckey said:
FAQ: Does my VW TDI have a engine (block or coolant) heater?
EDIT: Upon futher searching, this is not a cut and dry question/answer. It appears that a true 'block heater' is/was available for older TDIs (90s models, possibly into early 2000s). But the current heaters that are put on certain Canadian models (dependong on trim) are recirculating coolant heaters (like or same as frost heater). U.S. doesn't have this option from the factory or dealer.

Regards,
JustLuckey
VW OE Diesel engine pre-heater is available in the US through 1stVWParts

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=260299

All the best

OAG

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
My winter setup is a frostheater (car sits outside all winter), pipe insulation grill cover (works great), #2 Diesel with PS added and Blizzak tires.

Last winter I had a number of mornings where the cars thermometer was reading -49F. I don't know how accurate it is, but it was @#$% cold. No problems at all on my 1.5hr each direction commute.

The grill cover made a big difference in how fast the car warmed up (as one would expect).

JustLuckey

Veteran Member
TDI
Non-VW: 2016 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
As Coalminer mentioned, a frostheater is probably all you need if you have the option of plugging it in when it sits many hours (overnight, at work, etc). With a wife that has been stranded 10 miles from the nearest exit on a highway in -2F temps with a gelled fuel filter (my fault, didn't have additive mixed in), I like to be more certain. The DisNet inline heater is nice (and fairly inexpensive compared to the other options) because you can turn it on for a minute or 2 before starting the vehicle. I have it installed so it will only get power when the key is turned on, which eliminates having to remember to turn it off and drain the battery when the vehicle is not in use.

I posted this info for those interested. If you feel you don't need this information and haven't had any issues, feel free to move onto another thread. I am in no way saying that a TDI owner or otherwise needs anything of these products.

MPBsr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI....Traded in
OAG said:
My winter setup is a frostheater (car sits outside all winter), pipe insulation grill cover (works great), #2 Diesel with PS added and Blizzak tires.

Last winter I had a number of mornings where the cars thermometer was reading -49F. I don't know how accurate it is, but it was @#$% cold. No problems at all on my 1.5hr each direction commute.

The grill cover made a big difference in how fast the car warmed up (as one would expect).
Where did you get the grill cover from? I was told there was none for the 5.5-09 years.

Kriesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
What is best for engine wear reasons? I can survive the cold, and not have hot air blowing out of the heater right away. But what is the best option for engine wear? Coolant heaters do not heat up the engine oil, thus the engine oil is cold and thick, and on cold startups still doesn't get to where the engine needs it as fast, aka BRM cam failures possibly from cold engine starts.

So, what if I had a thermostat controlled oil heater, heating the oil to a certain temp well below burning point thus eliminating potential fire hazzard?

rex_1_mn

Veteran Member
TDI
05 PD Golf GLS Manual
I dont know how it would addapt to and actually work on a VW TDI but I think we should have a small electric oil pump that comes on with the glow plugs. It will run longer with the plugs the colder it gets and provide oil although cold to the engine prior to start. After the engine starts the little electric pump could turn off and the standard system could take over... Would probably require a little larger batt. to give the oooompff needed but would be cool.

What do you think??

Kriesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
T_D_I_POWER said:
I believe the oil automatically gets heat up as the oil in the heat exchanger is heated by the heater coolant.
Thanks, that makes sense. Will have to try it and see how much it actually heats the oil up as well.

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 VW PASSAT GLS TDI '06 Audi A4 q Avant 6-Spd Sport Pkg
Kriesel said:
Thanks, that makes sense. Will have to try it and see how much it actually heats the oil up as well.
l don't know and something that has to be experimented. It would be easier if there's an oil temp. gauge already installed in the car. With the VR6, the MFD has an oil temp gauge function. For some very sad reasons the B5.5 TDIs don't have oil temp gauge function.

XXX_er

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 golf
NB_TDi said:
I have one. It's only about 30W or so, but it keeps the battery toasty on those cold nights.

I just got one at canuck tire along with a heavy duty 3 way adapter plug to plug both the pan heater and the battery blanket in at the same time

I figure for <30$ I would give it a try ,FYI they come in 80W or you could get the 50W for a few bucks less

Kriesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
T_D_I_POWER said:
l don't know and something that has to be experimented. It would be easier if there's an oil temp. gauge already installed in the car. With the VR6, the MFD has an oil temp gauge function. For some very sad reasons the B5.5 TDIs don't have oil temp gauge function.
Yeah, I wouldn't mind making a permanent guage for oil temp, but a simple data logger for testing purposes is pretty easy as well. I will order the coolant heater this week probably, and go from there when it gets here...

Edit: just purchased the frostheater... haha

Last edited:

Kriesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
HoneyBeetle said:
I found a dip stick oil heater at NAPA for less then $20. I'm going to try this for cold mornings.
I read this forum's thread about oil dipstick heaters:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1272618

I think I would agree with them saying there is a possibility that the dipstick heater only heats a small area around the dipstick, and not the entire oil capacity. Plus, having to remove this dipstick and replace the normal one at 530 am when its really cold... I might do it once, but maybe not twice, as I would throw it away haha.

If you get it, let us know how it works please?

Kriesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Kim HotStart company makes really good stuff also. We use them at work with Cummins engines, but they don't haven anything specific for TDIs, but I found this on their website and found it interesting:

http://www.kimhotstart.com/34/oil-only-circulating-heating-systems/

Now I just need a 25 gallon oil sump (minimum amount needed for use of this... haha)

Additionally, searched the forum for old posts, and found this thread on oil dipsticks as well (seems they could be illegal in canada?), from 2008:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=233497

Also found this thread on an oil pan heater accident in 2000:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=10017

Last edited:

UFO

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle
HoneyBeetle said:
I found a dip stick oil heater at NAPA for less then $20. I'm going to try this for cold mornings.
It will help the engine turn over, but it won't warm it much, as it's not directly heating the coolant. Diesel engines appreciate heat more than gassers.

Slimtrader

TDI
06 Jetta
I have a zerostart 750W heater that a friend gave me. He never got around to installing it in his NB. I have an 06 Jetta and looked under the hood. It looks like it would be a difficult install. I want to make sure I'm looking at this correctly. My question is about the lower hose that the heater is supposed to be connected to. Is it the hose that goes into the lower hole on the engine or the lower hole on the oil intercooler? Any advice on parts I may need would be helpful too. I tried to buy just the hose kit and instructions from Terry at frostheater but he would only sell the full kit heater and all.

XXX_er

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 golf
yeah I got the 80w from canuck tire ,waiting for the weather to warm up a bit more next week and I will instal it ,also need to do the tire swap

just for kicks I pluged in the battery blanket here next to my computer and it feels about like a nice heating pad

No way you can miss my golf ,2002 silver , 72" WIDE thule bars with road hockey balls on the ends ,thule box with a bunch of stickers ,no hubcaps , dinged front fender (waiting for someone to hit it and get covered) probably a kayak on the roof

but it runs great

Nathanvw92

TDI
2003 Jetta
I just installed my frostheater last week. -10 in Timmins last couple of nights and the heater works great heat comes out of vents and the car starts as if it were summer.

I would highly recommend one, and total price with all taxes and duties was around $150

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
I have had a TDIheater since I bought the car and consider it an essential winter tool. Preheats the coolant to ease those cold starts and give the cabin some warmth on startup. Put it on a timer for a few hours beforehand.

jkoch

TDI
2003 jetta wagon
Regarding the dipstick heaters:

oil has a thermal conductivity of around 0.15 W/m-K at 0degC (even lower at higher temperatures). For comparison, water has about 0.6 W/m-K, aluminum alloys have ~170, and copper is about 400.

This means that motionless oil conducts heat at a rate that is 1000x worse than aluminum alloys! i.e. the dipstick heater will only affect a very very local region of your oil pan, so you might have 0.01 liters of warmed oil and ~4 liters of cold oil.

Doesn't sound worth it, does it?

Jeremy

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
jkoch said:
Regarding the dipstick heaters:

oil has a thermal conductivity of around 0.15 W/m-K at 0degC (even lower at higher temperatures). For comparison, water has about 0.6 W/m-K, aluminum alloys have ~170, and copper is about 400.

This means that motionless oil conducts heat at a rate that is 1000x worse than aluminum alloys! i.e. the dipstick heater will only affect a very very local region of your oil pan, so you might have 0.01 liters of warmed oil and ~4 liters of cold oil.

Doesn't sound worth it, does it?

Jeremy
Frostheaters (or other coolant heaters) are known to work. Dipstick heaters... not so much LOL.

Bill

jkoch

TDI
2003 jetta wagon
I don't know much about the design of coolant heaters, etc, but I assume the heated area is a little bit bigger than a pen tip, which is all the dipstick heater's got!

e.g. if you heat the metal pan, you will do better to heat the oil. The pan can heat up pretty quick, and thus expose the oil to a large heated surface. Much more effective.

Jeremy