Cold Weather Design Flaw, Secret Recall from VW?

Air Flow Sensor

• Total voters

Look4ward

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta Green
Re: Cold Weather Design Flaw, Secret Recall from V

Call me lazy but this is one long thread, is this problem only on the Gulf or is Jetta in line for a good valve drilling?

bowlerman

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta tdi black

this is great info, i will do the mod this weekend. this issue causes an even bigger problem with biodiesel. thanks!

bowlerman

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta tdi black

i just did it and it worked great. i even have more power. i suggest this to everyone.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta

i even have more power.
YES!!! It's like my car was dying a slow death or something... Lately there's been a stutter or miss under light load, like today coasting the 6% grade down Parley's canyon. HEavy acceleration seemed almost hesitant throttle response, hard to describe, but it just wasn't right... Big clouds of soot on the morning, rough running until warm, then still missing once in a while.

Mine has the "D". Drilled it out with 7/32- this drill size pulled the spring out also. Tough part was fishing out the rubber flappers.

I chased the passages with a Q-tip pushed thru with a stiff wire, then blew them out with a little "air duster" I keep around for MAF cleaning. CAT filter should catch anything I missed.

WOO HOO! Woke the car right up! There was quite the buildup of wax and crud around the "y", it doesn't take much. Now I can spin the wheels almost at will again. We will see how it runs this morning from a cold start.

Thanks guys!

The next step is to replace this sender with an electric fuel pump from a PD.

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW

Has anyone with model F done exploratory surgery? I have a full tank, so I will have to wait awhile. If mine is definitely on the offending units list, I would like to fix the problem before I venture to Greenbay in a couple of weeks.

fredb

Veteran Member
TDI
2003/golf gl blue tdi auto

Checked my 03 golf and pn is of the h variety
One more thing I don't have to do.. woo woo !@!

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Has anyone pulled a model F to determine if it is cold weather friendly?

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta

My 03' has the "D", and a near full tank, it'll be a while. With B100 I was having issues at 40* F, I "watered" it down to B65 and it drives fine now, but it will get drilled out soon.

Wally

Veteran Member
TDI
98 NB, 96 and 97 B4Vs, & 03 A4V

Just did the beetle today after finding this. Managed to put on the hoses backwards when I was done even tho I said outloud to myself "Black in the back". Started it up, drove it out of the driveway, so I could fill the wagon and it stuttered and died. It didn't take long to find out what was wrong - it's fine now.

I think this problem may explain why some folks were tlking about bio gelling at such high temps as 30's and even 40F. still not great fuel in my opinion, but I would be interested to find out what these people can B100 down to now.

As I started reading this today (yes the whole thing) the symptoms were exactly the same as what my wife was experienceing in the Passat. She would gel and stall and have lots of air in the lines and my beetle was fine. So after doing my car I looked into her's.

The sending unit is remarkably different. Skinnier for one. No valves for another, but the small pre-tank has increadibly small strainer holes that I could easily imagine wax or minor gelling cloggin those. I left the ones on the bottom in tact to keep debris out, but there was another series on an angled surface above that, about an inch above the bottom that I simply drilled out. I'm hoping this will make a difference and I'll let you all know. Or maybe I won't, maybe I'll just tell the B4/A3ers!

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI

To satisfy my curiosity regarding model F on my '03 JW, mfg date 05/03, I opened it up to see what I had. Apparently model F and H are similar. The pickup tube which connects to the black hose has no check valve. So apparently this is also a cold weather friendly model. I don't know if the others are like this, but it appears to me that there is a check valve in the black tubing, about 3"" from the connector which attaches to the top of the assembly. Correct me if I am wrong, but I would suspect that this external check valve replaces the internal one on the other models?

PTC

Veteran Member
TDI
HMaracic
This is a very long thread so I'm sorry if I'll repeat something, but I haven't read it completely.
Interesting thing in ETKA is that part with "C" suffix has been replaced in November '99 by "D" suffix part, which is still valid.
The "H" part is shown only on New Beetle from MY02 up, but only for export models to Brasil and Argentina.

There is an official "technical solution" in EU official repair manual for hard starting when cold problem:
"Technical solution" for hard starting when cold problem

Unfortunately, AFAIK, "technical solutions" are not recalls covered by warranty in Europe, instead they are here only to simplify fault finding and rectifying for dealerships.

jester69

Veteran Member

Well, I did this today. Very easy. Here are the highlights.
1) the drill size I used was 3/16(AKA 12/64). Fit great and more common than 11/64.
2) once I had drilled through the plastic I stopped and tried to fish out the spring, flap & etc. with a coathanger. What a PITA. The secret here is that there is nothing to not drill through, you want to end up with the tube going straight through. So, that in mind, if anything blocks the tube just keep running the drill back & forth until you chop it up into small enough bits to fall out. This made the spring easy as pie to remove once it was in several bits.
3) a coathanger makes a great "ramrod" to poke bits out the other end.
4) I'm really really glad I did this. It was 50 degrees here today and they are predicting a low of 13 deg. fareneit overnight, to stay that way for a while. Had I waited or not known...

All: Thanks a bunch for the heads up! this saved me, I am sure, a lot of hassle & headache.

thanks,

Steve

21window

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta,5 Speed,Atlantic Blue
Thanks to all who helped with this post. My car quit running -1 F. Didn't know what to fix so I pulled up the fuel filter and loosened the drain cock on the bottom for the water separator and Whoosh (big vacuum)and fuel starts flowing through the clear line going to the pump. I think "this is good" go inside and the car starts. Whala! I do the next thing I always do when I have problems...go to the TDI club and found this post, my exact symptoms. Did the drill out repair and I'm 99.99% sure my problems are solved. Thanks again to all involved. Great Club.

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
Even though it is getting warm now, we are sure to get another cold snap. Of course, we'll all be pouring in some anti-gel next time, but in the several years I've had the H model, I haven't had any problems (including the summer, spring and fall
) .

Karmann-diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000, Canyon Red
I have gone two winters & 65,000 miles since I drilled out my fuel gauge sender. Not one problem with fuel starvation since then. I still use Powerservice diesel fuel additive in the winter time & recommend the use of a good anti-gel for anyone in cold climates, even if you've already drilled out your sender. Breaking down on the side of the road when the weather gets this cold is not something you want to do. Take some precautions & enjoy Happy Dieseling!

Blackknight

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I just did this mod yesterday, car seems to run a lot better now. I broke one of the little plastic tabs that hold the spring part on, but it seems to be alright with just one on there.

2KJettaTDIGL

TDI
Jetta 2000 White
In the middle of the day on monday it was 8 in baltimore. My car died and after seeing the post I did the drill out mod on the fuel sender. In doing so I broke the two wires that supply me with my fuel reading. I re soddered them and of course got them backwards. So yesterday I pulled the unit out again and reversed them to what should work right. Wrong.

Bottom Line my gauge in my cluster doesn't move at all.

I reccomend the mod to anyone car runs better. My only question is could I have put the fuel gauge sending unit in wrong? I live near Impex so should I just go pick up the H model? Could I have put the unit in upside down?
When I turn the key on I can see it trying to move however it doesn't go anywhere.

Please Help

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Bottom Line my gauge in my cluster doesn't move at all.

Did you re-install the fuel pickup unit in exactly the same position? The darned float is real finicky and the unit must be rotated to the exact same location that you marked as reference before removing the unit.

Is it possible you bent the thin arm and you're not getting contact on the metal strip any longer?

2KJettaTDIGL

TDI
Jetta 2000 White
deiseldorf
Exellent figures. Thank you. Only problem is that I didn't mark where I took it out from. I could check to see if the points are touching.

If i get the "H" model I guess i still wouldn't have much reference to go on huh? Or should I just line it up towards the back like in the picture?

If I didn't have it in correct the first time then i might have re-crossed my wires.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
yeah, if it's not marked prior to initial removal, it becomes a trial 'n' error session. The positioning seems quite critical. I played with the alignment for some time after purchasing/installing a new "H" version. It has never been the same as the original "C" unit. It is typical for the car to now travel 500 miles before it reaches the 1/2 full mark on the gage. Once it reaches the 2/3 empty mark, the needle plummets to 0 in short time.

Play around with it. Check your wires to ensure those aren't broken. If you have a VOM, you can check the resistance as the arm moves thru its range of motion....do this prior to re-installation!