Cold Start Issues with 97 Passat TDI

MikeB4

TDI
1997 Passat TDI Sedan, Candy White
Hi,

I have a 97 Passat TDI with an intermittent cold start problem that I want to fix before Glowplug weather. I have a VAG COM, so I've adjusted the fuel injector timing (dead center), and there are no error codes. I've replaced the coolant temperature sensor because it was reading a little high. This morning, it was about about 60F (14C) outside, and the coolant and air temp reported were 19C (why?) and fuel temp read 23C (why?) before I hit the starter. After starting, there is tons of smoke and it chugs, barely idling, for a minute until it warmed up a little. I think of the options before me: clogged injectors, bad MAF, bad valve timing, whatever. However, after the engine warms up it always drives GREAT with plenty of power and turbo boost and the fuel economy is fine. Therefore, this leads me back to the sensor theory -- probably the fuel temp sensor. Does this sound good to you all? Any other ideas?

Mbro5

TDI
Passat 1997
intermittent? I thought my wife was crazy, she said our 96 Passat started really hard one mornging about 2 weeks ago.
Now this am it started fine went to church [not related to the problem], it started really hard after church, like it ran out of fuel. Hit on one or two cranking for 15 seconds then hit on 3&4,with slugish throttle response,then came to life. Can a bad fuel injector nozzle check valve allow compression or air to deprime the fuel system? needless to say it smoked bad when it did this.