"Cold-air intakes" and "high-flow air filter" FAQ

VWdrummer

TDI
2002 Jetta tdi Wagon
Idk how similar this is, but I have the OMI on my mk4 running the stock box and I definitely hear a little intake noise, but for hearing spool it’s really the down pipe and exhaust that determines the quality of that. We don’t really get much compressor noise on these small diesels. I’ve heard it on ones with big turbos, but there so much going on in those big turbo setups. If you want it, I’d say buy it. It’s your car and if it makes you happy then that should be good enough for all of us.

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
I don’t think mongler was referring to the hose doing that. I sure he was meaning just like most other members that going from a stock box and filter is a bad idea and not going to help with anything.

es7129

TDI
2014 JSW DSG
I don’t think mongler was referring to the hose doing that. I sure he was meaning just like most other members that going from a stock box and filter is a bad idea and not going to help with anything.
His response was to someone specifically inquiring about the inlet hose.

jcilforever

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta (SOLD), 2004 Beetle, 2003 Jetta Wagon (parts car) all manuals all for sale
What proved that CAI they do not make more power to me is when I went in with Injen and they mocked one up on a customer car I bought 20 and they did not work it caused my car to loose 5hp. enough said shipped them back got reimbursed glad I did not sell any.
On to next thing did put PD150 tip and air box on my car for looks along with intake manifold because it was clean with no butterflys.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
What proved that CAI they do not make more power to me is when I went in with Injen and they mocked one up on a customer car I bought 20 and they did not work it caused my car to loose 5hp. enough said shipped them back got reimbursed glad I did not sell any.
On to next thing did put PD150 tip and air box on my car for looks along with intake manifold because it was clean with no butterflys.
say what????
look up the word grammar, you need to know what that is and how to use it please.

jacksonm

TDI
2013 vw gold tdi 6spd manual
my 2013 vw golf 6 spd manual

hi guys i am in a serious predicament. my mk6 is having all sorts of issues. When i got the car i got a k&n typhoon air intake and a racechip gts (well over 800$ and im in highschool) after i did this my car was fantastic for a little while until an engine light. it was the egr which was replaced along with my dpf and my car was once again good for a while. after the engine light came back on again it was the egr, so i deleted it. after the delete my car ran goo for a while once again and it definitely made more power and torque over stock. then my car began to stumble at certain rpms in the race mode of the racechip, but was fine in efficiency mode and i drove it like that for a while. yesterday i got the flashing plug light, aka ecu issues. i am at a loss at this point and i just don't know what is screwing up my car. is it the tune? the intake? the delete? i am desperate i would love any advice!

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
i am at a loss at this point and i just don't know what is screwing up my car. is it the tune? the intake? the delete? i am desperate i would love any advice!

It could be any or all (or none) of the above. Step one would be to scan your car with a VW specific scan tool and report what fault codes your car has saved. Your car know more about the problem that we do. Once you have the fault codes we will know more. The trick to power enhancement is to learn first and then spend money - not the other way around.

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. Am I correct is assuming that your K&N intake has an oiled filter? If yes, it has probably fouled your MAF. My first step would be to switch back to the stock intake. Your car left the factory with an excellent cold air intake.

Last edited:

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
hi guys i am in a serious predicament. my mk6 is having all sorts of issues. When i got the car i got a k&n typhoon air intake and a racechip gts (well over 800$ and im in highschool) after i did this my car was fantastic for a little while until an engine light. it was the egr which was replaced along with my dpf and my car was once again good for a while. after the engine light came back on again it was the egr, so i deleted it. after the delete my car ran goo for a while once again and it definitely made more power and torque over stock. then my car began to stumble at certain rpms in the race mode of the racechip, but was fine in efficiency mode and i drove it like that for a while. yesterday i got the flashing plug light, aka ecu issues. i am at a loss at this point and i just don't know what is screwing up my car. is it the tune? the intake? the delete? i am desperate i would love any advice!
What kind of tune is this on the car ??
Racechip GTS (never heard of them...)

https://www.racechip.us/chip-tuning/racechip-gts.html

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
I'd start by removing the resistor mod (tuning box) so that your ECU can actually see the correct sensor values. These devices aren't comparable to an ECU tune.

flashing glow plug is normally boost related, or it could be rail pressure since you're likely modifying the wiring to that sensor. Would hook up VCDS and go over rail request vs actual and boost request vs actual after that.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
https://www.sbfilters.com/cold-air-intakes/ymme

Installed right into Malone stage 4 coupler
So even though you read this thread, you still purchased a very pricey POS engine/MAF killer? WHY?
i mean, come on, right on the first page of this thread.
ZERO performance improvement observed with K&N compared stock OEM paper filter or even NO FILTER at all! We've seen this all the time in the numberous K&N threads..."It (K&N) just HAS to be better!" OK, based on what?

As I've said in other K&N filter threads:

K&N filter = MAF eater + engine sander + ZERO performance benefits = BAD!

Stick to using only OEM filters:

brew1

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI
Oiled K&N air filters.
Are people still using them when there are better products from AEM and AFE that do not require oiling and are easily washable/reusable?

GEE-BEE

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9 AAZ
It’s a dry filter
There offer two types of assys

The engine cover and airbox are hydro dipped in carbon finish

It’s a sema build , not a driver

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It's a pile of crap is what it is, doing this stuff just encourages others into bad info and misdirection. I hate to see show stuff do such a bad job when there is good stuff out there. Also that dry filter is going to filter out diddly squat and still kill a MAF.

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
Well Mr. GEE-BEE were you not able to use the stock air box anymore and needed to adapt a different set up for your build? Only real reason I can see to not use stock box assembly.

GEE-BEE

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9 AAZ
It’s a sema display 2020

Most items going to hydro dip in carbon fiber finish

Battery box
Engine cover
Airbox

GEE-BEE

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9 AAZ
It’s a corporate sponsor , typically no budget build

It will be at the show

The S&B air filter assy went perfect to the Malone 4 kit

2260 assy

Last edited:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Custom fab, make a box to work with a OEM style filter would show better than these turds.

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
When discussing MAF failures at a Bosch service school the instructor was asked about K&N. The answer concerning MAF's was K&N stand for Kill it Now.

Never mind the hot air ingestion and dirt infusion into the engine. It is your car, if you want to kill it it is your option.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
When discussing MAF failures at a Bosch service school the instructor was asked about K&N. The answer concerning MAF's was K&N stand for Kill it Now.

Never mind the hot air ingestion and dirt infusion into the engine. It is your car, if you want to kill it it is your option.
Unfortunately it's a build to show off, making people get that much closer to believing these lies and marketing bs. I hate seeing show stuff with the most horible auto practices sourly out of convenience. Most cars at sema dont run and are made way to lazy

MuggyTDI

TDI
Passat NMS
Spent the last few hours reading this entire thread. Great info. I appreciate all of the discussion. Especially those from those who have studied the data.

I'm currently running a KermaTDI tune and couldn't be happier. Came here before spending money elsewhere under the hood and glad I did.

Thanks.