Cold air from glove box?

boerssd

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Highline Sedan
Does anyone else have a rather large amount of cold air pumping out of their glove box? I know it sounds odd, but... With the car completely warmed up - heat to max, level selection in any position, there is a massive amount of pure cold air that is coming into the vehicle through the glove box. The amount of air seems completely dependent on fan speed, not vehicle speed.

coppertop666

TDI
2010 Golf 2D
boerssd said:
Does anyone else have a rather large amount of cold air pumping out of their glove box? I know it sounds odd, but... With the car completely warmed up - heat to max, level selection in any position, there is a massive amount of pure cold air that is coming into the vehicle through the glove box. The amount of air seems completely dependent on fan speed, not vehicle speed.
There is an adjustable air intake on the back of the box for keeping things cool if needed (like beer :cool:). You can shut the vent if needed by turning the knob.

MarkShort1958

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
I assume you had your air conditioning on when you noticed the cold air. Copper accruatel;y noted that there is a intake adjustment in the back of the glove box.

I do occiassionally use the 'cold box' feature - put my sandwich and a piece of fruit in it for a lunch 3 hours down the road and when I took them out, both items were fresh and cool. Nifty little feature that's slightly more convenient than carrying a little icebox. But have to always remember to turn it off when not needed.

boerssd

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Highline Sedan
Ok - so the vent is not the issue. I've got that fully closed. The cold air is coming from everywhere BUT the vent. All around the exterior of the glove box. Makes the passenger a pretty cold (and cranky) person.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
get a new passanger.

must be some sort of leak with the cabin air filter, is it not seated right?

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
Are the controls set to "recirc?" Even with the controls off in my Passat, I will still get air flow through the car is recirc is off. It I turn on the recirc, the airflow from the outside stops...

MarkShort1958

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
boerssd said:
Ok - so the vent is not the issue. I've got that fully closed. The cold air is coming from everywhere BUT the vent. All around the exterior of the glove box. Makes the passenger a pretty cold (and cranky) person.
Sounds like a good reason to go back to dealership. If it IS cold air coming from outside you have to have a seal that was not installed properly. Let us know what you find out!

boerssd

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Highline Sedan
Car is in for service today - will let you know what I find out. Also in for it's second CEL :( in only 8,000km. First was the dreaded 00315 - will see what today holds.

Amount of air coming out around the glove box is completely dependent on fan speed - suspect is (as mentioned) cabin filter, and/or the hose to the vent in the glove box (may be loose?).

Sean.

boerssd

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Highline Sedan
740GLE said:
get a new passanger.

must be some sort of leak with the cabin air filter, is it not seated right?
LOL - unfortunately the acquisition of a new passenger requires proper disposal of the old passenger (wife). To do this legally can be a very costly process. The cheaper method can have undesired side effects - such as free room and board for life in a room smaller than the car - and shared with "Bubba".

boerssd

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Highline Sedan
Turns out the hose that brings cold air to the vent in the glove box had come off the back. Thus - it was belching cold air all the time. Hose re-installed - massive amounts of cold air gone. :)

And on the bad side - the CEL was from the second occurrence of the 00315 code. So now they have applied their second fix to that - we'll see how it goes...

Sean.