Coil Springs

NKM

TDI
2002 Golf
Recently bought a 2002 Golf TDI. When backing up there is a sproing noise from the rear end. I figure it is probably the coil springs. I live at the end of a gravel road and would to get a little extra ground clearance. Can you guys recommend a set of springs that would give me a little extra ride height? Do I just need to replace springs and shock absorbers or do I need to replace other parts?
Final question. Could I take this and have it done at Big O or would it be better going to some other shop. I live east of Louisville.

thanks

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Nero is right. The swap is very easy to do; jack the car up, remove the tire, unbolt the shock absorber, raise the car a bit more and the spring will almost fall out at that point.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
You don’t even have to remove the tires, if you’re felling a little lazy lol. Their weight also helps the axle droop farther, making r&r easier.

If you don’t tighten the lower shock bolt with the suspension loaded, it can lead to clunking.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Rear springs are easy to replace, but most likely where you need the ride height is in front. Yours, like most TDIs, probably has worn out suspension. You may want to replace springs at both ends if they're original, and dampers, too, if they're also original. If you want the car taller I'd go with VR6 Wagon front springs and Jetta Sedan rear springs. The wagon towing springs are probalby going to make your Golf too high in the rear, unless you drive it around full of heavy items all the time. There are lots of damper options of you decide to replace those, too.

NKM

TDI
2002 Golf
Good deal. Sounds pretty easy. What dampers should I use when I replace those?

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
I suggest, without knowing the car's overall condition, or your long term plans and budget, a complete refurbish of
springs and shocks. If you see gravel roads, you need clearance, and travel. VR6 springs front with new struts,
get the towing springs for the rear and new shocks. Get new mounts for all. I've been running the complete "kit"
for some 70k now, one of the first things I did when I bought my Golf. Not the cheapest option, but if you're into it for the long haul, you'll never regret it.

The rear is ez to do yourself, get a pro to do the front struts.

clyde

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, 1959 DeSoto with leopard-skin seat covers
Have a 98 Jetta tdi with ~ 420 k miles, and would like to replace the suspension springs. Where can I find the specs of the original springs?

I'd guess that VR6 springs might be too stiff, and springs used in a 2.0 liter gas car would be too soft. Whatt'ya think?

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and Wagon, GLS 5sp
Why is it ok to get wagon springs without wagon shocks? Golf/Jetta shocks will top out, even on a wagon with its heavier rear, from what I read on here.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Why is it ok to get wagon springs without wagon shocks? Golf/Jetta shocks will top out, even on a wagon with its heavier rear, from what I read on here.
No, they won't. I've run sedan dampers with wagon springs on my wagon on multiple occasions over the years. No problem. You will, however, have a problem if you run wagon towing springs with sedan dampers.

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and Wagon, GLS 5sp
No, they won't. I've run sedan dampers with wagon springs on my wagon on multiple occasions over the years. No problem. You will, however, have a problem if you run wagon towing springs with sedan dampers.
I thought some people experience knocking with sedan springs while others don't...

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I went with the Beef on a Budget springs and dampers; I also got the matching hardware.
They don't ride too badly, but I can feel, and hear, every crack in the pavement. I believe the KONI Reds are the ones I should have purchased to start with, I believe I will keep all posted when I sell the "oranges" to the highest bidder. They have less than 3000 miles on them, as I hardly drive anymore.
IBW, are the Red Special KONI's the hot ticket these days?

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I thought some people experience knocking with sedan springs while others don't...
I've had Bilstein HDs and Koni FSD sedan dampers on my Wagon. Also my first set of Reds, before the Wagon Reds were available here. No knocking on any of them. If someone hears knocking I suspect it's not the damper.

Koni Special Reds have gone obsolete, replaced by Special Actives, which are slightly improved FSDs.

I snagged the last set of Reds at IDParts and got them installed with new front Springs earlier this year. I was on the fence, almost put in Special Actives instead. I've had FSDs on my car and they ride nearly as well as the Reds, and handle better. I'd go with Special Actives. I'm not a fan of the STR.Ts either. Too harsh for me.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
I measured wagon and sedan shocks when I lifted my Jetta, it was something like 3/8” more compression and extension to the wagon springs from resting length, insignificant, just enough for slightly more travel in each direction

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
the rear shocks can make a knocking sound if the lower bolt is torqued without a load on the suspension. Maybe that’s the source?