Coefficient of drag for the Jetta

RiceEater

Veteran Member
TDI
gray 2k2 Jetta GLS
Friday ~08:15 - 08:30 north on Highway 5 through the Tehachapi mountains I dropped my Jetta from Lebec down to Grapevine. I kept it in 5th gear and the clutch out. The speedometer indicated ~98 mph. I haven't compared 98 mph against GPS but I guess 96 mph true. I originally dropped from Gorman and the speedometer was ~95-96. As you curve left around Frazier Park the grade levels off and speed drops to ~75. After Lebec I used the engine to take it up to ~95 mph and let let the car drop again. This is where the speedometer registered ~98 mph.

There was light rain in the Central Valley and I believe that Los Angeles was overcast. So I admit there might have been a tail wind but this is difficult to judge. I estimate the temperature to be low to mid 60 degrees farenheit, ~75% relative humidity. The road is posted as 6% grade. This seems to validate the coefficient of drag to be ~0.31 for the Jetta.

I don't always get conditions I judge safe enough to freefall the Jetta. I was wondering how this correlates with other Jettas. Has anyone had their Jetta up to >100 and drag would reduce it to ~98 indicated (with corresponding air correction) on the constant 6% downgrade? Eric's station wagon supposedly should freefall a little faster.

peter pyce

Veteran Member
Hi Jim! How are you? Long time no see! I am so glad to read a post from you. Welcome back!
Let me know when you are in the SFBA next, I want to have lunch with you.

Norman

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf GLS, '03 Wagon GL
Can you explain between 5th vs. N? Wouldn't that be more of a direct comparison to pure drag?

All the times I've gone over the pass into the Central Valley it's been in gear and hoofin' 'cuz I B needin' to take a VP...

RiceEater

Veteran Member
TDI
gray 2k2 Jetta GLS
What difference would there between one versus the other, 0.5%, 0.1%, less? I think any difference whatsoever would be very difficult to discern. One would be just the tailshaft bearings and the other would include the gears on the countershaft turning oil. I don't think there is much difference in the drag presented in one configuration versus the other. I estimate ~200 # air drag but only ~20 # drag from total rolling friction. I'm using 2975 #, half tank of fuel, myself and some luggage for 3188 # as the weight.

This might be a more appropriate post for the vortex. It would be useful to have a benchmark drag characteristic for the Golf, Jetta, Jetta wagen and new Beetle. I believe the Sunol grade (680 E between Vargas and Sheridan) is 6% but it's always crowded. Don't gather data there.